• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures So very proud of my JoJo!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
He's figured out the "retrieve" trick :dance4: :dance4: :dance4: ! We took a week off training as we weren't making progress, but when we trained today he has it down solid! So very pleased! :D

vmashley03

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
I remember seeing your order from them. It's funny what items they like..good thing you ordered a variety!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is great! Maybe the others will pick it up from him!

Matt

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:dance4: WTG JoJo!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Good job JoJo and Saroj!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Don't you just love when they offer a behavior so they can get a treat! Wonderful on the retrieve!

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
:dance4: :dance4:

Wayne361

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Wayne
Saroj....as mentioned before great job! Now slowly introduce new objects. Now JoJo knows what to do, simply desensitize to other objects and the learning curve should be brief. I started off with a plastic water bottle cap and after he had that mastered I introduced new objects. The visual cue of flat hand (palm up) should lead him what to do, along with verbal. The more objects successfully retrieved, the more easy it is to get him to retrieve others. Its also a good form of socialization to new things i.e. less fearful bird.
Keep up the great work :)

Wayne

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Great job, Jojo & Saroj! :dancing:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks all!! :D
Wayne, today he did 10/10 local retrieves :dance4: .Then I offered him a tiny wiffle ball twice and he fetched it and put it in the dish. Tomorrow I'll transition to putting it in my hand. Flighted fetch is a challenge because next to the playtop we work on is a dometop and he's not too keen flying to it with an object. We'll give the tv tray to tv tray flighted fetch a go once i get him used to doing fetch on them. So very pleased with his sudden progress! :laughing12:

Wayne361

Real Name
Wayne
Thanks all!! :D
Wayne, today he did 10/10 local retrieves :dance4: .Then I offered him a tiny wiffle ball twice and he fetched it and put it in the dish. Tomorrow I'll transition to putting it in my hand. Flighted fetch is a challenge because next to the playtop we work on is a dometop and he's not too keen flying to it with an object. We'll give the tv tray to tv tray flighted fetch a go once i get him used to doing fetch on them. So very pleased with his sudden progress! :laughing12:
Ok great stuff!! Hey dont you have training perches? I thought you got a pair through Michael @theparrotforum? I could be wrong.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Ok great stuff!! Hey dont you have training perches? I thought you got a pair through Michael @theparrotforum? I could be wrong.
I do have the training perches Wayne. It is very odd, he will not do retrieve on them...drops the item immediately. So we are working on flat surfaces. I am so thrilled...today he fetched wiffle balls that rolled far away and dropped in my hand or the dish, whichever I offered.He did 100% retrieves without missing. We worked on the tv tray tonight...i wasn't sure he would transition so easily but he did! So 3 new things we did today were
1.place in hand not dish
2. work on table not playtop.
3. Place object rather far from him so he has to go fetch it.
todo
I don't have a verbal cue yet ....unless "get it!" counts :D

Wayne361

Real Name
Wayne
Saroj that is HUGE progress in a short span. Great stuff
"get it" definitely counts if used consistantly. I say "bring it to me"....doesnt matter as long as you are consistant. As you train Jojo more he will be more trainable...he will be "actively" looking at what to do as he knows treat is forthcoming if done correctly.
As for training perches....you can use the "dropping immediately" to you advantage. Have hand under when he drops immediately and reward. do this a few times and move hand slightly...he should move to drop...praise/reward. He will soon get idea that he has to place in your hand. Then since he is on perches you can work on flighted retrieve :)
Awesome progress BTW.

Wayne

Way