• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So the squawking...

MissTee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanya
So my Sun Conure, Mango, I've had her for 8 months. She is a sweet as pie at times. Giving kisses and saying her name. However lately she squawks all the time even if im in the room with her giving her attention and if I leave to give her space. I understand they are loud birds and can make from time to time. But I don't want to upset my neighboors. You can hear her outside. LOL. Plus my mom who lives with me, is statrting to drive her nuts. For me I'm just trying to figure whats going on that caused this sudden change. Any of you fellow Sun Conure.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I'm one of the least experienced here, but loud birds are loud.
I'd love to figure out how to stop my chihuahua from blowing out my ear drums.

...maybe get yourself a chihuahua, and no one will notice the bird?

MissTee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanya
Hahaha! Too funny! No Chicuahua, I have one too many animals. LOL. My cocker spaniel would be Jelly Belly.

Yeah I know they are loud but it goes in phases. Wasn't sure if it was something I was doing or hormones (PMS) ya know.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine has her screaming bouts. There is no reason, there is no rhyme! She just screams for various reasons, its their way to communicate with their flock.

MissTee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanya
I thought so. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't enabling her screaming. Barbara on GoodBirdInc has videos on screaming and I've only gotten through part of the webinar and she said to make sure not to always run to them when the scream because they learn that's how they can get you to come to them.

She also used to come to step up more but now she just bites it. Even with a treat. :(

Last edited:

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I never had a conure but did you try whispering to it ? Is it bonded to you ? You could always try saying No and walking away for a short while when she squawks, returning when she stops right away :D If you are busy doing something and she wants attention you can call out to her and say Im here then put on some classical music for her ?

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
She might just want out of the cage more. That's what Jersey does to me when she wants to have "free-flight" time. I'd highly recommend positive reinforcement training to help her understand that squawking isn't a good way to get your attention. There's a lot of stuff on the web about it, and it could probably help in your situation!

MissTee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanya
If I am home, or when I get home from work she is out of her cage all the time and yet till screams. LOL. If I am not home I put beach/ocean sounds on so they feel like they are outside. Sometimes the scenes have classical music playing too. My co-workers think I'm nuts because I put it on my TV and check on them at work. Anyone have suggestions on treats that might work. I tried sunflower seeds, dried fruit, and hemp seed.