• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So Many Macaw Ads in OH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I looked on Hoobly today, and it seems like the number of ads for rehome macaws is even higher than normal. In my state alone, there are several macaws, 4 B&Gs (3 females, 1 male), a Miligold (female), a Catalina (female), and 2 GWs (females) that are up for rehoming within the last couple of weeks.

I wonder, always, when I see these ads, for 5 year olds, 6 year olds, etc. What were the owners expecting? And, were they surprised by what they got? Oh sure, the ages alone provide a clue. It seems likely that some of these birds have grown up and are not sweet, snuggly babies anymore. Maybe they've started to become hormonal. Or maybe the owners just weren't prepared for the responsibility. Or maybe the novelty of a big exotic bird just wore off amid the daily grind of cleaning up poop and filling food bowls.

One of the birds (in Northern OH) is special needs. He cannot fly and has lost an eye. :( His name is Herbie...
http://www.hoobly.com/0/0/1319112.html

Anyone interested?

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I have seen a huge increase in the birds listed in my area also. I think the economy is also playing a big part in the numbers of rehomes out there

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have seen a huge increase in the birds listed in my area also. I think the economy is also playing a big part in the numbers of rehomes out there
Yes, I'm sure you're right, Chris. I think one of the families mentioned a new baby too. That seems to be common reason...

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
My heart strings keep being tugged on all the time around here too. There are so many that need homes :(

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
seems just all birds.. macaws,amazons,conures,caiques,and the never ending toos here

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
There is a macaw kick here too, after monday I may have a total of 7 macaws here...

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It really is sad:( one thing I was reading said the average bird is rehomed 7 times in its lifetime.How sad is that?

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
I saw Herbie a few days ago .. my fingers almost started typing, but then my senses took over.

It's so hard, you want to help .. but at the same time .. can't take in every bird that pulls the heart strings.

Sigh .. just wish I'd win that dang Mega Millions Lotto, then .. no problem!!

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I saw Herbie a few days ago .. my fingers almost started typing, but then my senses took over.

It's so hard, you want to help .. but at the same time .. can't take in every bird that pulls the heart strings.

Sigh .. just wish I'd win that dang Mega Millions Lotto, then .. no problem!!
No kidding!! I keep dreaming big :)

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Wow, lots of macaws here too. :(
2 Military
10 B&G
1 Miligold
1 Catalina
1 Green Wing
1 Scarlet (5 months old, probably a breeder but says she's a rehome. Probably not even weaned yet!).
That's just on the ad websites, doesn't even include the number in rescues.
http://parrothelp.org/page1/page3/page3.html

Last edited:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
There are a ton here in MN too :( The economy, and lack of education I think. And yes, you're probably right, they aren't cute, snuggly babies anymore.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Poor Herbie - talk about pulling at the heart strings!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its so sad,the economy is a huge part of it. They are several ads on my area CL that they flat out say they are selling their bird because they need the money and a bird is something they can sell easily to get a quick buck. It just makes you sick.

Last edited:

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
The same thing is going on here in NC. But here it seems like more 'toos are being rehomed. I actually took in an 8 yo lutino Indian Ringneck female today. The girl called last week and she was about to go crazy with the bird and a new baby. New babies and the economy, or 'life changes' is what I hear alot of.
She brought the IRN by here this am and it's a really nice bird, so hopefully I can find her a nice home. It's the first IRN I've ever had.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Toos and Macs are seem to be the most rehomed (besides 'tiels and budgies).
8 M2s
15 U2s
1 G2
1 BE2
2 "cockatoos"
1 "white cockatoo"
:(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
very very sad, especially when you read, "we have a new baby" lots of people have babies and birds..that is a poor excuse if you ask me...

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
My good friend is 7 months pregnant, and keeping her B&G and Harlequin Macaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.