• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So...I'm buying an egg

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
After a lot of reading, and input from the members here, as well as visiting some bird stores I thought I had settled on getting a Senegal parrot.

Then after a heart-to-heart with my partner it came out that she was pretty scared about getting a parrot.
She was concerned because she hasn't been doing research like I have and that she didn't know what to expect. The only pet bird she's even had any exposure to was a little budgie her grandmother kept and she was never allowed to touch it. I was really glad that she finally expressed her real feelings about the whole idea. She said she wanted me to do what I thought was best, but I really want her to be onboard and not have an "I told you so" moment later on. We decided on a budgie. They really embody so many of the things we both want in a pet parrot. Busy, possibility of talking, can be interactive to a certain extent. She feels like she won't be as intimidated as with a big bird. Oh and their bites aren't so likely to leave a big scar ;)

I knew that one of the local bird stores was going to have handfed standard and English budgies soon, so I gave them a call to see if there was a waiting list. This is where things got kind of funny! Apparently they are the breeders of these budgies and so they have some on eggs now. Basically they are usually all sold before they even hatch! So I put my name in for the "oldest egg". Once eggie hatches then I can come in and put a deposit down. So I won't really know the coloring, which is ok (some mix of green and yellow because of the parents). BUT what I forgot is that I won't know the sex! This might be important to me because I am hoping for a bird who has a better chance of learning to talk a bit. So I'm wondering if this is totally crazy? Should I just take the first egg that hatches? I've only ever adopted pets so I have no experience with this kind of thing!

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
If you place a deposit on a certain bird, can you change it? We put a deposit on for #3 and they let us change to #4 (yukio)

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
If you place a deposit on a certain bird, can you change it? We put a deposit on for #3 and they let us change to #4 (yukio)
I really don't know. I got a little too excited and didn't ask enough questions. Now I'm thinking the whole issue will be moot because their cere won't show a color to help determine sex until they're older anyway. Maybe I need to just calm down and see what happens :wacky:

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Oh and btw the bird store guy told me that the color is white. Because the eggs are white. After they hatch the color will be pink. He's a funny guy :D

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Where is this bird store? I never heard of anything like this. You will not have the parents for even a few weeks so I really thing I would walk away from this.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
After a lot of reading, and input from the members here, as well as visiting some bird stores I thought I had settled on getting a Senegal parrot.

Then after a heart-to-heart with my partner it came out that she was pretty scared about getting a parrot.
She was concerned because she hasn't been doing research like I have and that she didn't know what to expect. The only pet bird she's even had any exposure to was a little budgie her grandmother kept and she was never allowed to touch it. I was really glad that she finally expressed her real feelings about the whole idea. She said she wanted me to do what I thought was best, but I really want her to be onboard and not have an "I told you so" moment later on. We decided on a budgie. They really embody so many of the things we both want in a pet parrot. Busy, possibility of talking, can be interactive to a certain extent. She feels like she won't be as intimidated as with a big bird. Oh and their bites aren't so likely to leave a big scar ;)

I knew that one of the local bird stores was going to have handfed standard and English budgies soon, so I gave them a call to see if there was a waiting list. This is where things got kind of funny! Apparently they are the breeders of these budgies and so they have some on eggs now. Basically they are usually all sold before they even hatch! So I put my name in for the "oldest egg". Once eggie hatches then I can come in and put a deposit down. So I won't really know the coloring, which is ok (some mix of green and yellow because of the parents). BUT what I forgot is that I won't know the sex! This might be important to me because I am hoping for a bird who has a better chance of learning to talk a bit. So I'm wondering if this is totally crazy? Should I just take the first egg that hatches? I've only ever adopted pets so I have no experience with this kind of thing!
Congrats. I did not know that a bird store would hand feed budgies, doesn't sound cost effective at all. They are tamable without being hand fed and they are easy to breed and raised by their parents. I think he takes you on. Never heard about a deposit on an egg for them either.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
I think I mis-communicated, I'm so sorry! I'm not taking an egg home, the parents are on the eggs and I'm on a waiting list to get the first one that hatches. Once it hatches I'll put my deposit down and then the store will raise the chick until it's ready to come home to me. So buying an egg was supposed to be a little joke. Sorry!!

I don't know anything about how cost effective it is. I think they breed their own cockatiels too, but other babies they get from breeders. A pet store in town also has parent raised and hand raised budgies for different prices. If it sounds nuts though I'll be able to easily back out. No money has changed hands.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Congrats! I think budgies are great little birds full of spunk and energy. They can also be very sweet and I've interacted with some who even cuddle.

Male budgies can learn to talk pretty well, but it is up to the individual bird. Check out Disco the parakeet on YouTube.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Some breeders will not designate a specific egg/hatchling for you but will let you choose once the birds hatch based on when you placed your deposit or got on the list for that clutch.

Milestone

Congrats. Minty talks up a storm, it's quite amusing.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I did misunderstand. Sorry.

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
I LOVE budgies! I was looking for two more when I read about Linnie's and decided to go that route.
When I was alone in an apartment in grad school I bought a blue budgie I named, "Fabio", because...he was gorgeous. ❤ He was my best friend. Then I adopted Pixie, a spunky green girl. I had them from grad school into my marriage.

Parakeets are wonderful. I recently purchased two Linnies, and although they are beautiful and fun, so far, they aren't as interactive as Pixie girl and Fabio were. But, I'm working on it. ❤

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Congrats! I think budgies are great little birds full of spunk and energy. They can also be very sweet and I've interacted with some who even cuddle.
Male budgies can learn to talk pretty well, but it is up to the individual bird. Check out Disco the parakeet on YouTube.
Thanks! I looooove Disco the parakeet, he's the main reason I started thinking about a pet bird. Well that and I can't get the chickadees or juncos outside to sit on my finger ;) It encouraging to read that my budgie might even learn to like cuddles!
I wish I could know the sex so I could be sure to get a male, but it doesn't seem like it's possible.

Congrats. Some breeders will not designate a specific egg/hatchling for you but will let you choose once the birds hatch based on when you placed your deposit or got on the list for that clutch.
I wonder if I can ask them to do that? I need to go to the shop and talk to them in person soon anyway. Thanks for telling me that some breeders offer that option!

Congrats. Minty talks up a storm, it's quite amusing.
Aww Minty :) I love their normal chitter chatter and it's so adorable when they chat to themselves!

I did misunderstand. Sorry.
No problem Lady Jane, I was not very clear. I appreciate your concern for the budgie and for me!

I LOVE budgies! I was looking for two more when I read about Linnie's and decided to go that route.
When I was alone in an apartment in grad school I bought a blue budgie I named, "Fabio", because...he was gorgeous. ❤ He was my best friend. Then I adopted Pixie, a spunky green girl. I had them from grad school into my marriage.

Parakeets are wonderful. I recently purchased two Linnies, and although they are beautiful and fun, so far, they aren't as interactive as Pixie girl and Fabio were. But, I'm working on it. ❤
I love hearing about Fabio and I think Linnie's are adooooorable! They seem to be pretty hard to find, at least in my area or I would be all over them :) There's a breeder not to far who had some (Whidbey Birds) but I'm not sure if I feel comfortable doing business with them.

Thanks everyone for the replies!!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
You can have them DNA tested for about $25-30. You can even test it via the material left in the egg shell once it hatches.

I tested my last clutch of babies from their eggshells and 3 of them worked. The forth didn't have enough genetic material but they retested from blood later for no charge.

I liked the eggshell test because tiny birds need to keep their blood. I always wait until they have feathers but by then they are 90% adult size so it is fine to do the blood test but with the egg shells you can know right away.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Thanks Laurie, I didn't know you could do DNS testing that the egg shells! I'll have to ask them if they'd be willing to help me by saving the shell.

Last edited:

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Well I went in to talk to the folks who put my name down for a budgie today. They told me that since it will only be about 8 weeks old when weaned and sent home with me they won't be able to tell the sex. They're not really interested in doing DNA testing. I thought maybe I could see the parents for color reasons but it would disturb them too much. I guess the pair my egg is from are proven and the other pair they have are new parents and the eggs don't look like they're viable. Also apparently there aren't going to be any standard budgies even though they say so on their site. I got a bit of a subtle attitude when saying we thought we'd get our bird parent feet wet with a budgie. Then the guy told me that budgie bites are really painful and he'd rather get bit by a lot of other birds. I was just like :blabber: by that point.

AvianCrew

Real Name
michelle
Well I went in to talk to the folks who put my name down for a budgie today. They told me that since it will only be about 8 weeks old when weaned and sent home with me they won't be able to tell the sex. They're not really interested in doing DNA testing. I thought maybe I could see the parents for color reasons but it would disturb them too much. I guess the pair my egg is from are proven and the other pair they have are new parents and the eggs don't look like they're viable. Also apparently there aren't going to be any standard budgies even though they say so on their site. I got a bit of a subtle attitude when saying we thought we'd get our bird parent feet wet with a budgie. Then the guy told me that budgie bites are really painful and he'd rather get bit by a lot of other birds. I was just like :blabber: by that point.
They have hooked beaks. So, that would be painful :lol:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Look up Belford Budgies. This breeder can tell the gender very early and has wonderful English budgies. Call his store Tuesday - Saturday after 1 pm. He will ship.