• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So I got my new DLSR and now im lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazeybird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Houston
:dance4:

:huh: SO confused! I can take pics inside great, ive got a few of Blazey and the cat I can share later. But today I ventured outside to try a few flower pictures. Some turned out fine, but for the most part im just not happy with them. :( HELP?
Also does anyone know how to take black and white pictures?

Its a Nikon D3000 just so y'all know.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, that is totally awesome, Houston! :dance4: I know, I don't know how to work all the settings on my camera either. I need to figure out how to do the Black and White and a few other settings. My camera is a Canon Rebal XTI.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Does it say how to get it to take black and white pics in the manual?

I don't have a DLSR, just a Canon Power Shot, but the manual for it tells me how to do everything needed - I just never bothered to read it - it's HUGE! way too many words and not enough pictures for me to understand it LOL

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Also does anyone know how to take black and white pictures?
There probably is a setting for taking black and white pictures on the camera, but why would you want to? Generally speaking, you take color pictures and desaturate them using your processing software on the computer. That way you don't have to worry about whether your camera is set for black and white or color.

hsmoscout

Well first of all it's a Nikon. :lol: Seriously though, it has totally different controls because you're used to your advanced Canon P&S. Post some of the pictures you're unsatisfied with along with the settings you used. What mode were you shooting in?

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
There probably is a setting for taking black and white pictures on the camera, but why would you want to? Generally speaking, you take color pictures and desaturate them using your processing software on the computer. That way you don't have to worry about whether your camera is set for black and white or color.
Black and whites are my favorite. Plus, with the way I look at things... I see something that would be a great black and white picture at the time. I can not wait till I get home to change it because I will have "lost it", lost the insight? I dont know. All I know is that I need to be able to take black and white on the spot lol.

And A.J your so full of it :p Nikon kicks Canon butt when it comes to DSLR's :hehe:

But I bet your right, im just not comfortable with the controls (Ive had it all of two days lol). I think I already deleted all I was unsatisfied with :huh: but im positive there will be more. So when I get some ill post them.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
there are a lot of photography forums out there. Join one and you can post pics with the settings and will get a lot of feed back

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
there are a lot of photography forums out there. Join one and you can post pics with the settings and will get a lot of feed back
Now how did I not think of this? :rofl::huh:

Thanks, ill be looking for one I like!

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
For outside pics turn down the iso to 200 and turn up the shutter speed so it doesn't take in too much light. And turn the flash off. See if that helps :)

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
No problem! That's about all I learned when I had my DSLR :lol: I sold my camera and now I miss it :(

hsmoscout

If you're shooting in Auto, don't expect much. I would try aperture priority first and then make your way into manual mode. Do some research on the "exposure triangle" if you haven't yet, and maybe pick up a copy of the book "Understanding Exposure." I've heard nothing but great things about it.

Oh, and as far as Nikon being better....well even Nikon's $3000 D700 is only 12 mp and only goes up to ISO 6400. :huh: :p

Faen

Hit the Road
I have the same camera.

For black and white it's best to do that after you've uploaded the pictures to your computer and do it in the editing process that way you can get it just right. It's not as easy as just a click of button, i mean you can but chances are it won't look great - you have to adjust it. If you have Photoshop or photoshop elements then you can do it in there, there are a number of ways.... and even Gimp you can probably do it too. I'm not too familiar with gimp however but i'm sure there's a way!

For pictures inside and outside it really just takes practice and playing around with the settings. Personally, i'm the opposite, i can take decent picture with the natural light and what not outside but inside in an area with limited light is difficult for me at least. Practice makes perfect though, right? Play around with the aperture and F stop and settings and what not. I do most of my shots on Manual, but whatever works for you. When you feel comfortable you can move on to another setting and see what works for you.... you can always switch back and forth right?

I got my camera in December and i'm still getting the hang of it myself, but if you have any questions feel free to ask! :)

Sorry i didn't reply in a very in depth response. I'll come back to this thread tomorrow, i would do it now but it's 1:30am and i have a class in the morning lol!

Last edited:

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
Thanks everyone for all the replies :). I understand that it is just going to take time, but im impatient LOL.

hsmoscout

Well lurk on every camera website possible. Trust me, it helps a lot. Oh, and you might want to pick up a 50mm f/1.8 so you can become addicted to primes and so you have a fast lens if you needs it and maybe look into an external flash, they really help!

Faen

Hit the Road
LOL you don't need a prime lens......

Personally i think a tripod and an external flash are 'must haves' for a photography. :)

Though i don't have an external flash.... i think you can get away with not having one if you shoot outside.... if you want to do photography inside then i would say yes def get one.

I do plan on getting an external flash, hell even a few lenses and a new tripod would be nice but money is tight right now so i'm making due without until i can get a job. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.