• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So .... I am getting a Brown Headed parrot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

petah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Peter
Cages bought! Oh yes, cages! one main cage and one night cage, lol.

I have to get a perch or two and some smaller toys, my wallet has a huge hole in it now!!!!

petah

Real Name
Peter
I couldn't get any bigger cages with 5/8" bar spacing than the 24"x22" unless I go with a flight cage.

For the new BH I got a playtop cage 24"x22"x33". 5/8" bar spacing similar to the HQ cage and non-toxic paint (so everyone says). The cage is made in Taiwan instead of China (that is a plus, sort of, lol).

Pickles my Jardine's is in a 32"x24"x33" which is pretty spacious and Pickles is pretty much 2x the size of the BH.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I couldn't get any bigger cages with 5/8" bar spacing than the 24"x22" unless I go with a flight cage.

For the new BH I got a playtop cage 24"x22"x33". 5/8" bar spacing similar to the HQ cage and non-toxic paint (so everyone says). The cage is made in Taiwan instead of China (that is a plus, sort of, lol).

Pickles my Jardine's is in a 32"x24"x33" which is pretty spacious and Pickles is pretty much 2x the size of the BH.
I have a similar size cage for my Pois (each their own of course) and it's fine.
Done the line, I might like something bigger and made of Stainless steel, but for now what they have is quite appropriate given how much time they spend out of their cages and the fact that they use the whole space, even the vertical aspect.

petah

Real Name
Peter
My Jardine's doesn't use the bottom 1/2 of the cage.... yet. I am not sure how to teach her to go down there. Hopefully one day she'll decide she wants to go down there to do some foraging.

Stainless is very nice but way out of my price range for now, someday maybe!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I have a few perches lower in the cage as well as their foraging buckets.

lzver

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Laura
They are so cute! I've been tempted a few times to get a brown head. If I ever get one, I wouldn't hesitate to get one from Barb ... I've met her a few times at the Golden Triangle Parrot Club and she only lives about 5 minutes away from me.

I'm seriously considering joining the South Western Ontario Parrot Club that meets in Cambridge and I know she attends those meetings regularly.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Do you have your baby yet?
Do you have pictures? :D

petah

Real Name
Peter
Baby, yes! He has been home since Saturday night after a short 35 minute drive. Gf's co-worker lives just down the street from Barbara (small world!)

Picture, he is a little bit shy in front of the camera. okay I lied: I haven't had a chance to take a pic or two. Will do it tonight and post it!

He is beautiful, brown head (obviously, lol), turquoise body almost like a greater Jardine's green and yellow on the underside of the wings & body (can't see the yellow unless he stretches his wings).

The little baby is adjusting really well. He is playing, eating, chirping happily. I can't believe how "calm" he is compare to Pickles the Jardine's. Pickles is always on the go. The BH is just taking everything in right now, maybe he'll grow up to be more on the go as well.

Gf named the baby "Wasabi" but I think "Peppers" would be a better name keeping with the "P" name. But for now it is "Wasabi".

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Congratulations on bringing your new baby home and cute name! Looking forward to seeing photos. :)

petah

Real Name
Peter
Congratulations on bringing your new baby home and cute name! Looking forward to seeing photos. :)
They are so cute. Congratulations!
thank you!

Congrats, I just finished talking to Barbara yesterday. :)
And?!?!?!?!? :) are you going to get one? I think you should *wink*, lol.

Barbara has 2 BH left, a shy male (just a little bit shy but I am sure he'll turn out just as good with some human interaction!), a female that I was going to get but gf wanted a boy instead.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
He's adorable! Does he have a name? :)

petah

Real Name
Peter
For now he is "Wasabi" but I am trying to convince the gf he should be "Peppers" to go along with "Pickles" trend, lol. I have a feeling stay as Wasabi though.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Oh my goodness....he is the cutest thing!!

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
adorable!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month