• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So hyper!

Hilz621

Moving in
Hi! I'm brand new to the forum. I have a female peach-faced lovebird (named B.B.) who is about a year and a half old. She has never laid eggs. Lately- for the past few weeks- she has had bursts of extreme hyperactivity! She'll run back and forth on the top of the couch, she tries to run into the bathroom and climb into a basket I have in there. Today, she climbed into the refrigerator when I had it open and crawled between the crisper drawers (I got her out immediately; she is always monitored when she's out). She was on the counter when I was washing dishes, and she attacked a box of eyeglass cleaning clothes, then a pill bottle, then a plastic bag, then a grape...then she went into full display mode for the grape. Wings out, tail up. I included a picture for reference.
She has been displaying for a lot of inanimate objects lately. I know it's spring and hormones are heavy right now. It's the hyperactivity that is worrying me, because she's never demonstrated anything like that before. Is this normal?

Attachments

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welave:

YAY, another lovebird person! Woohoo! :starshower1:

I think it's a normal spring thing. My mom's female lovie displays to the flattened cardboard box put up as a barrier to keep her from getting into the kitchen (she wants to nest under the dishwasher). :rolleyes: If I try to offer her a toy, she will display to that as well.

Hilz621

Moving in
:thanks:
Oh good! I'm glad to know that B.B. isn't the only horny lovebird! Is your mom's lovie hyper too?

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh good! I'm glad to know that B.B. isn't the only horny lovebird! Is your mom's lovie hyper too?
LOL, hardly the only horny lovebird! I have a little girl myself who's either trying to get to Twinkie to seduce him or looking to hump any blankets she can, lol. Mom's lovebird is VERY hyper, as is mine (Snerky), but I think Mom's lovie is a bit more over the top! Here's a vid of Snerky playing:

Snickerbocker Hopper | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Hilz621

Moving in
Oh my gosh, those little hops! That video is adorable!

Good to know that B.B. isn't the only hyper one. She was just so crazy tonight; it made me nervous. I've never seen her like that. It was like she had eaten too much sugar!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh, those little hops! That video is adorable!

Good to know that B.B. isn't the only hyper one. She was just so crazy tonight; it made me nervous. I've never seen her like that. It was like she had eaten too much sugar!
I'm glad you liked the video! ;) I think she knows how cute she is and uses it to her advantage mercilessly!

Oh no, Snerky is very hyper. She is constantly surging and hopping and flying and squeaking. :rolleyes: Mom's lovie is more about getting into everything. She won't stay put, lol. I think all the lovies are just hopped up on raging hormones right now, especially the girls!

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Olive has been acting like that too lately. Especially after I took her outside this weekend. Very hyper and squawking a lot. She hasn't explored the crisper compartment yet though. :hehe:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Olive has been acting like that too lately. Especially after I took her outside this weekend. Very hyper and squawking a lot. She hasn't explored the crisper compartment yet though. :hehe:
Yeah, that part made me laugh! Few of us have lovebirds that are THAT inquisitive! :D Usually that brisk air gives them pause!

Hilz621

Moving in
We have to keep the bathroom door closed, because she keeps running in there to try to make a nest out of a basket! Sometimes, she runs into the kitchen so fast, all I hear is the tat-tat-tat of her talons before I get to her! I think she's just trying to give me some exercise! :laugh-bounce:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have to keep the bathroom door closed, because she keeps running in there to try to make a nest out of a basket! Sometimes, she runs into the kitchen so fast, all I hear is the tat-tat-tat of her talons before I get to her! I think she's just trying to give me some exercise! :laugh-bounce:
It's wonderful that she's such an active little girl! It's obvious that she has you right where she wants you, just like the rest of our lovies, lol! :laugh: She sounds absolutely adorable. I hope we get more pictures and maybe even video! :heart:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I found a cure for hen hyperactivity... A mate. Blu and Harley are a bonded pair and produce eggs year round. I do not allow them to hatch them, however. Blu is so busy hen-pecking her mate, Harley, she hardly has time to be hyperactive!:smug:

:welcomesign: to the Avenue!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
:lol:Most definitely not. Sherbie will display just from hearing my voice... And when getting a training reward. He's so random. During his first Well Bird Exam, Dr. Knight was feeling him over for lumps and bumps and when she got to his tail he displayed for her. Needless to say he's a very horny little fellow.