• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So excited

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Hello evryone,

As my title says I'm super excited, I'll be meeting a CAG this saturday.
Her name is Sisi and she is 5 years old, her parronts unfortunately have to rehome her because their daughter is allergic for Sisi.
The background I have on her right now is that she tends to be a bit fearful, she can't fly ( I don't know yet if this is because she's clipped or if there is something wrong with her wings). She loves a bit of cuddling time and walking around. She also likes to go outside and look around.
So I'm going to meet her parronts this saturday to ask some questions and to look if I have a 'bond' (sorry I don't really know how I can translate this in good English) with Sisi, so I can give her a new and forever home in a few weeks.
So with that being said, does anyone have tips, or do's and dont's for meeting her?

Thanks in advance:).

Kind regards,

Tessa

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
ohh how nice! i hope everything goes well!

some things to look for are the bird's lifestyle. what does she eat? does she play with toys?
you need to consider how many changes you will need to make to her lifestyle while she's in your care. if she doesn't eat healthy you'll need to make the effort to change her diet. and if she doesn't have toys she may not know how to play.
if her wings are clipped she may not know how to fly, so flight training will be needed. if she's a disabled bird she'll need special accommodations in her cage.

other things you want to look for are her physical condition. look that the vent is dry with no poop stuck to it, eyes are alert with no discharge. beak isn't flaking . feathers are nice and preened. research of the indications of an unhealthy bird.

if you want to take her in and make these changes in her life, and possibly spend vet fees to make her life better than that's great! but if you don't have the means, and she's bringing up red flags, don't get her.

i was so excited to get happy and hopi. i ignored the red flags regarding happy being a chronic egg layer, and a day after i got her she was egg bound and i had to rush her to the vet. it was heartbreaking but luckily she's all right now, healthy as can be.

goodluck! and please keep us updated :)

are the few weeks between now and hopefully giving her a forever home to prepare for her? if so, what did u plan for her?

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
ohh how nice! i hope everything goes well!

some things to look for are the bird's lifestyle. what does she eat? does she play with toys?
you need to consider how many changes you will need to make to her lifestyle while she's in your care. if she doesn't eat healthy you'll need to make the effort to change her diet. and if she doesn't have toys she may not know how to play.
if her wings are clipped she may not know how to fly, so flight training will be needed. if she's a disabled bird she'll need special accommodations in her cage.

other things you want to look for are her physical condition. look that the vent is dry with no poop stuck to it, eyes are alert with no discharge. beak isn't flaking . feathers are nice and preened. research of the indications of an unhealthy bird.

if you want to take her in and make these changes in her life, and possibly spend vet fees to make her life better than that's great! but if you don't have the means, and she's bringing up red flags, don't get her.

i was so excited to get happy and hopi. i ignored the red flags regarding happy being a chronic egg layer, and a day after i got her she was egg bound and i had to rush her to the vet. it was heartbreaking but luckily she's all right now, healthy as can be.

goodluck! and please keep us updated :)

are the few weeks between now and hopefully giving her a forever home to prepare for her? if so, what did u plan for her?
Thank you so much for all this helpful tips! :)

I can imagine how heartbreaking that was, good to hear she's all right now!

Thank you again, I will surely keep you all updated!

Yes it is, I have ordered a cage which I will need to set up, and depending on what her condition is (if I take her home) I indeed may be have to set up some special accommodations in her cage. And in a few weeks time I have my christmas vacation, so I will have all the time of the world to let her settle in :)

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
did you meet her? what was it like?
She was just the sweetest thing ever, she was sitting with me for a while and she got so comfortable she almost dosed of to sleep :xflove: and she was talking a bit to me.
When her owner wanted to take her back she pushed his hand away with her beak like she wanted to say ‘no I’m good here’
I asked them a few questions her diet exists out of seed (with dried fruits and nuts) and Some fresh fruit and vegetables, so I need to work on that.
And her wings are clipped, she looked really healthy. The last time she had bloodworks done was in 2015.

But I am really enthousiastic, she really is a lovely girl, I instantly fell in love with her.
So I’ll be bringing her Home in a few weeks:heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's wonderful! Congrats!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ohh that is amazing news! I am so excited for you! It sounds like she liked you:rolleyes: Don't forget to update us when she gets home!

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Ohh that is amazing news! I am so excited for you! It sounds like she liked you:rolleyes: Don't forget to update us when she gets home!
Thank you so much! I will keep you all updated for sure :joyful:

Awesome - I love an adoption story.
Yeah I’m so glad I can give this lovely girl a new Home :xflove: