• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So Cute!

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Hey all!

Just want to share a cute story that happened tonight. So, in a different forum someone had told me that given the small size of P'lets my Paulie likely wouldn't shower with me like my Cockatiel did.

Well, to give a little background info, our living space is currently under construction. Currently, we only have two doors; the exit door and the bedroom door. All other areas are open.

I had left hubby babysitting Paulie while he was enjoying his cage free time. While I was showering, I could hear Paulie calling for me in between the songs playing on my phone. Then I heard hubby walking down the hall and, shortly thereafter, heard Paulie's wings flapping. Concerned, I asked (well, more like hollered at) hubby if he knew where Paulie was. So hubby brought his hand into the shower to prove to me he was capable of watching Paulie... Paulie was sitting perched on his finger.

Well, when Paulie saw me he started lunging at me in his "I want" movement. So I asked hubby to sit him at the far end of the shower on the caddy. However, that wasn't good enough for Paulie. Paulie actually flew to my shoulder and insisted on keeping me company during my shower. :heart:. WAIT! It gets cuter!

After finishing my shower (careful to keep Paulie safe from any back splash), I sang Paulie Bob Marley's 3 little birds. In between verses I stuck my face in the shower stream just to get a little of the water sprayed onto him. He enjoyed it so much that, after I mirrored the behavior for him, he did it too!!:wideyed::D:heart:

How cute is that!? My P'let had his first shower!

Attachments

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That's adorable!!! Good job!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe so cute :loveshower:

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
How sweet!! :)

laracroft

Strolling the yard
Awww, that is so cute! Micah has never showered with me. Of course, I have been sharing a place in one way or another since I got him, so he's never actually been in a bathroom? And right now there's a dog in the house, so I have to be super careful about where and when Micah is out. I'm hoping to get my own place soon (no parents or roommates or significant others-who-don't-like-birds, I think it's going to be amazing) and then we'll see what happens.

I've been meaning to ask, how are you and Paulie doing in general? I mean this looks like things are going well, but I know a new bird can be an adjustment. How are you doing?

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
@laracroft
That sounds exciting! I believe you and Micah are gonna have a great time on your own. ;)

You're so sweet for asking us how we're doing! Honestly, each day gets easier... And learning more information about birds and P'lets specifically makes the process so much more enjoyable for me and Paulie. I've had parrots and birds before, but was ignorant to how to create a rich relationship with them. With Paulie, I can't believe the depth and potential of bird-human relationships and I'm a little sad that I missed so many opportunities with the birds in my past.

The most challenging thing with Paulie has been encouraging my husband. He's not really a bird guy and gets easily frustrated with Paulie. For instance, Paulie makes a bee-line for his phone and watch every time he's out. My husband is very into technology and his phone is always in his hands. I keep telling him Paulie is after his phone and his watch because he wants his attention... Then there's the pooping. Hubby gets so upset about the pooping :laugh:.

But, honestly, despite this challenge I have to give credit where credit is due. My husband has actually been doing his own research into birds. :heart::heart::heart:
Him being so crazy about technology, doing research is about the equivalent of writing Paulie love songs. So, it's all coming along fairly well I would say.

laracroft

Strolling the yard
I am excited! I haven't lived on my own in years, and I've missed it tbh. My own space, all mine! :dance5: Plus I won't have to worry so much about when Micah's out. I love Teddy (the dog) but he's rambunctious and the idea of him getting to Micah terrifies me. So far it hasn't been a problem--they've never been in the same room, even with Micah in his cage--but I still worry.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well! I get where your husband's coming from with the technology thing. Micah destroyed my phone case, and broke one of the keys on my laptop. I got a keyboard cover, and he chewed that instead. :banghead: So now I put a rag over the keyboard when he's out. It's a good thing I can type by feel! My best advice for that (which honestly has only been somewhat successful when I applied it) is to redirect, redirect, redirect. I keep lots of toys for him to chew on around, and when he starts going after something he shouldn't I give him one of them. Sometimes it works, sometimes he's too focused on what he's trying to get at.

It's so sweet that your husband is researching this. :heart: Sounds like he's getting frustrated because he's not used to birds, I'm sure when he learns more about them he'll come around.

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
@laracroft
Oh yes, our feathered babies can be quite determined in their quests of destruction. :roflmao:

I've been trying to encourage my husband to redirect Paulie. He usually says something to the effect of "I won't be a slave to this bird" and I usually respond with "why not? You're a slave to your phone. At least with Paulie it's just a few hours a day". :rolleyes: But, like I said, despite his frustrations he is genuinely making an effort to better understand Paulie... Which is all I could ask for. I would have to agree the frustration is likely because he's not used to birds.

Although, I will say Paulie is much calmer with me than he is my husband. Or perhaps I just understand Paulie's desires more easily :cool:. For example, Paulie tries to eat at my textbooks when I'm reading and not paying him attention. I don't usually respond unless he's doing some serious damage, but he usually quits after the second nibble, turns around to look at me, and flies either to my face, my finger, or my hair. With hubby, though, Paulie's relentless. He really wants hubby's attention. :heart: