• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So confused!!!

tandum

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone,

Please don't judge me....

First let me tell you about myself and my bird. His name is Tango, he will be 4 years old next April. He's a "parrotletosaurus"! Lol As for myself, i've had a couple of fids before. Animals are my life! I don't remember not having some type of pet all my life. I just lost my cat Shali who was 18 years old this past November and It's tough. Anyway, once i i get a pet, it's for life no matter what.

Seriously, he's the love of my life! He's so funny, always trying to find a way to make you laugh, he's sweet, soooo smart, curious and very, very, very vocal!
That's where i'm coming to.

I know that parrots are very very vocal from the start and i'm ok with that. But he's ALWAYS screaming and i mean screaming at the top of his little lungs. And most of the time, i see that he's really mad. I don't know at what. Sometimes i think he's in another state of mind and nothing stops him, it's like he not seeing clearly so i have to put him for a nap and i cover his cage for half an hour to calm him down. The constant screaming is getting to me and my bf, creating stress, irritation, anxiety....

The thing is that that problem is attached to another: my boyfriend!
I don't work because of health problems so i'm always home. So when Tango and I are alone, everything is almost perfect. He's calm and doesn't scream often. But when my boyfriend comes home, all hell breaks loose!

Also, when he's home and i let Tango out, he wants nothing to do with me. He's all about my bf, i can't even pick him up without him attacking like i was the devil in person, once he draw blood. I think he's in love with him cuz Tango feeds him (but sometimes me too), does the love dance ( as i was told). THE CONFUSING part is that when i'm alone, we have a great bond!

Right now he's in the living room and it's all open to the kitchen and dining room so he sees us all the time, he's never alone. But now we thought about moving him to our second bedroom/office. He would have a tv with animated movies and some stuff for him for when get time out of the cage. But he will not be left alone, he will still get the time out of the cage all like before. I just feel that if i put him there, i kind of punish him and it's not what i'm doing!

Is my Tango broken?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Tango isn't broken. Flock dynamics can be complicated. LOL. (And your his flock.) How long have you had Tango and how long has the screaming been going on? I will tag @JLcribber. He has parrotlet experience and a great article I'm sure he'll share with you.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: tandem!

It sounds like Tango has bonded with your BF. When your BF is in the room, you are the intruder in their relationship. When your BF is away you have a much better chance of forming your own special relationship with him. And that's when I would work at it. When your BF is around, I wouldn't even try to touch Tango. Tango may even bite your BF if he is on him and you get too close.

Do you know why he is screaming when your BF is home? Does he want to be with him and can't? It's probably worse now as the days are getting longer.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Tango has chosen your BF as his special buddy. He may switch and decide you are his best buddy. Never know with our birds. At least he gets along well with you when your BF is not around. Seems that he might be screaming when your BF is home because he wants your BF to constantly pay attention to him. Reacting to the screaming is the worse thing you can do although I realize it's hard to ignore but paying attention to it is rewarding Tango for this behavior. How about giving him special treats and verbal praise when he is quiet? What kinds of toys does he have inside the cage to keep him busy? Does he have any foraging type toys?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is my Tango broken?
No he isn't. He's just a bird acting upon natural instincts in an unnatural situation. This is one of the consequences of hand fed human imprinted birds.

Read this so you understand the psychology of what's going on and ways to approach things.

Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

Personally I think Tango would benefit from a real friend. A solitary bird is a lonely bird and usually frustrating to humans (as you are finding out) because we are terrible flock mates.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome