• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sneezing cockatoo

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
When was your bird last seen by a vet?

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
When was your bird last seen by a vet?
Not 100% sure the last time was when he was acting funny which id say around a year ago now as the only avian vet near me is a retired one who does voluntary appointments during the week yeah id say about a year ive only had him 1 year 9 months

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd definitely schedule an appointment just to be on the safe side. How is he acting now?

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
I'd definitely schedule an appointment just to be on the safe side. How is he acting now?
Hes not acting out of character as such hes flying shouting talking cuddling everything normal but he just has like 2 sneezing fits where he sneezes 5ish times which is the only thing out of character but i have an air purifier arriving tomorrow so hopefully that helps and im going to talk to my mum about a vet appointment i just hate costing my parents money but the birds health is more important than that for me anyway my Dad even offered to move our dog out of his room and out the bird in there but i couldnt let him move the dog as hes getting old

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully it's just because of the dust and once you wipe everything down and get the filter set up he won't have this issue.

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
Hopefully it's just because of the dust and once you wipe everything down and get the filter set up he won't have this issue.
Fingers crossed im in my room around 70% of the day as im homeschooled and my play on my computer a lot so the air purifier should benefit me a lot too as im allergic to dust and pet hair i dont have a severe reaction to either of them luckily

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
It doesnt look like hes eaten much today but in going away until sunday evening tomorrow morning at 8am and i cant do anything beforehand as its 11pm now i cant not go away as being a minor i would be alone all weekend which my parents wouldnt allow he will have a foraging wheel with food and treats in his cage all weekend so he will eat them as he ate a banana chip a minute ago but it doesnt even look like hes tried to eat out of his bowl and im starting to get more concerned im clueless as what to do next as i wont be home

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It doesnt look like hes eaten much today but in going away until sunday evening tomorrow morning at 8am and i cant do anything beforehand as its 11pm now i cant not go away as being a minor i would be alone all weekend which my parents wouldnt allow he will have a foraging wheel with food and treats in his cage all weekend so he will eat them as he ate a banana chip a minute ago but it doesnt even look like hes tried to eat out of his bowl and im starting to get more concerned im clueless as what to do next as i wont be home
If he's not eating when he normally has a good appetite he really should be seen by a vet as a loss appetite in a parrots is quite serious because of they lose even a small amount of weight that's very bad for them.
Do you have a family member or friend that could take him to the vet tomorrow?
@Shezbug any tips on some tasty things he could try to encourage him to eat that maybe even picky Birdie couldn't resist?

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
If he's not eating when he normally has a good appetite he really should be seen by a vet as a loss appetite in a parrots is quite serious because of they lose even a small amount of weight that's very bad for them.
@Shezbug any tips on some tasty things he could try to encourage him to eat that maybe even picky Birdie couldn't resist?
Nobody else in my family is a bird person i have a friend that has a macaw but i dont even think my avian vet is in on saturdays because he’s retired he only does fridays

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully he'll be ok until you can get him seen. Try to offer him his favorite things within reason to encourage him to eat more.
Perhaps try to soften his pellets in warm water and see if that will entice him to eat more. Do you have any sweet potatoes? I know a lot of members have had success with warming them up in a microwave and smashing them if im remembering correctly.
You don't want to just give him treats and over load him on those but he definitely needs to be eating and keeping weight on.

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
Hopefully he'll be ok until you can get him seen. Try to offer him his favorite things within reason to encourage him to eat more.
Perhaps try to soften his pellets in warm water and see if that will entice him to eat more. Do you have any sweet potatoes? I know a lot of members have had success with warming them up in a microwave and smashing them if im remembering correctly.
You don't want to just give him treats and over load him on those but he definitely needs to be eating and keeping weight on.
Im adding normal food to the foraging wheel to encourage him eating it and i know he likes cooked pasta so i can try giving him some of that before i leave and i know my aunts staying round my house while we are away so i can ask her to check on him ive just cleaned him out so his cage wont go nasty while im away and im keeping the air purifier on auto mode but we are going to get a vet appointment as soon as possible as we have found a local place that does home visits with birds and exotic animals

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
I have also added probiotic to his water which will help fight a bacterial infection if thats the issue and it also has vitamin A in it which ive seen somewhere when ive searched things up so hopefully that helps too he is currently eating beetroot flavoured popcorn and enjoying it and there is feces in his poop which is a good sign and hes still drinking but recently hes also pooped into his food bowl because I rearranged his perches a month or so ago and i know he doesnt like eating food after pooping in it so i have refreshed it just incase

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's good that you've got his cage fresh so it will be easier to see his poops and food scraps on the bottom so you and your aunt can have a more accurate visual of if he's eating or not.
That's good that he's eating something now that encouraging and that you've found a vet clinic to get him seen at.
Are you able to either move the food bowl to another area to lessen the chances of him pooping in it or add a second food bowl in a different area so there's less change of him soiling both.

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
That's good that you've got his cage fresh so it will be easier to see his poops and food scraps on the bottom so you and your aunt can have a more accurate visual of if he's eating or not.
That's good that he's eating something now that encouraging and that you've found a vet clinic to get him seen at.
Are you able to either move the food bowl to another area to lessen the chances of him pooping in it or add a second food bowl in a different area so there's less change of him soiling both.
What i had previously done was position a toy so he cant poop in that direction as his tail touches the toy and it seemed to work but he destroyed the toy and the other toy i was going to use is covered in poop even though it was under his cage and i dont want it to be nasty or mouldy without me knowing if its in a part of the rope i cant get to also i have another bird i have a kakariki but hes not got any symptoms although their cages are practically touching im not sure whether that helps with anything or not but the kakariki is completely normal and healthy

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
No I don't have any miracle answers for foods sorry. Birdie just thankfully decided after trying pellets that they were pretty good- he still does not eat an overly varied diet but he does eat a bit better than when he got here.

You need to be aware that probiotics will not fix infections or illnesses. You also need to ensure he is drinking that water with added things to it and that the water is now changed a few times a day as adding things to it can be problematic- just like any other food or drink that is left out to the air and such it can spoil and many birds wont drink water with things added to it.

RoccoB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rocco Bateman
No I don't have any miracle answers for foods sorry. Birdie just thankfully decided after trying pellets that they were pretty good- he still does not eat an overly varied diet but he does eat a bit better than when he got here.

You need to be aware that probiotics will not fix infections or illnesses. You also need to ensure he is drinking that water with added things to it and that the water is now changed a few times a day as adding things to it can be problematic- just like any other food or drink that is left out to the air and such it can spoil and many birds wont drink water with things added to it.
He had probiotic previously and i know it wont miraculously fix everything he still drinks it fine hes had a lot already i was prescribed to give him probiotics at one point from the last vet visit as he had vomited and that fixed that but im hoping the added vitamins in it help hold anything off until i can get him to a vet appointment

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have also added probiotic to his water which will help fight a bacterial infection if thats the issue and it also has vitamin A in it which ive seen somewhere when ive searched things up so hopefully that helps too he is currently eating beetroot flavoured popcorn and enjoying it and there is feces in his poop which is a good sign and hes still drinking but recently hes also pooped into his food bowl because I rearranged his perches a month or so ago and i know he doesnt like eating food after pooping in it so i have refreshed it just incase
Would be a good idea to rearrange your cage so food and water dishes are well out of any falling poops range.

vitamins are really best to only be administered on vet advice- vitamins can be overdone and that can be as much of a problem as low vitamin levels.

If he is not eating as much as he should be then you really need to be watching his weight like a hawk and have him checked by a vet sooner rather than later. Lack of appetite can become a serious health issue real fast.

I would not recommend leaving a bird showing signs of illness alone for a weekend (I am sure I read you are leaving him with a foraging wheel as you are going away)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What i had previously done was position a toy so he cant poop in that direction as his tail touches the toy and it seemed to work but he destroyed the toy and the other toy i was going to use is covered in poop even though it was under his cage and i dont want it to be nasty or mouldy without me knowing if its in a part of the rope i cant get to also i have another bird i have a kakariki but hes not got any symptoms although their cages are practically touching im not sure whether that helps with anything or not but the kakariki is completely normal and healthy
I don't mean this rudely at all when I say this but I can't help but wonder if this issue he's having is at least in part due to the possible unsanitary conditions in his cage. You've said his cage had mold in it at one point,that this toy that was under the cage is covered in poop,that he's known to poo in his food bowl and the fact that your Kakariki is doing well at this point it sounding like it's possible its something isolated to just your Too. Keeping things clean will go a long way in helping him to stay healthy. I know it can be hard especially when they poop over everything my last bird though small pooped all over the cage in the most random spots and over perches so I was having to constantly scrub everything time and time again to make sure things stayed sanitary for him.

Birds are very susceptible to respiratory issues and infections from even the slightest bit of unsanitary conditions. It's also possible that has nothing to do with the issues that he's having but id be doing you and him a disservice if I didn't mention it.
I know that you're doing the best you can with him and for one so young your taking a lot of initiative to post on here looking for help so again please know I mean no disrespect and I'm only trying to help you and your birds.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
He had probiotic previously and i know it wont miraculously fix everything he still drinks it fine hes had a lot already i was prescribed to give him probiotics at one point from the last vet visit as he had vomited and that fixed that but im hoping the added vitamins in it help hold anything off until i can get him to a vet appointment
From what I have been told by a few AV's (and human Drs), probiotics are best administered on their food and consumed asap- it is living organisms and once exposed to air and moisture they can start to die off rendering them useless. Can you mix your probiotics with some of your birds fav food (bird safe nut butters, mashed pumpkin or sweet potato are often a good choice) and give it to him in a way that is more likely to get them into your bird while they are still active?