• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Snakes in Mississippi!! *reptile warning*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleu

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Yes, Gilraen too for explaining the difference first. :hug8:

You do a reptile show at a zoo? No wonder you know so much.
Can you tell us the location of the zoo?
I will try to remember the toxin, venom, poison difference. I did not know that....:o:

Sigrid
Lupa Zoo is the name. I haven't done any in a few weeks because it's been too cold and the zoo is shutting down for the season.

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
Oh, and my friend knows far more than I, by far. He is very knowledgeable and great with the presentations.

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
Interesting! I have seen them many times here on lakes in TN
Yes, I guess there are lots in the South.

offtopic: We were in Memphis a week ago..saw the Peabody Ducks and the Civil Rights Museum. We were impressed. We did not have enough time to see the zoo. I would have loved to see the pandas.:heart: It was very hot.:cool1:

Sigrid

igors mum

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
In most cases; not all, you can tell by the shape of the head and the eyes.
A poisonous snakes eyes will look like cat eyes, non-poisionous will round pupils.

Looks like you had a cotton mouth.
that doesnt go for the snakes in australia i found out the deadly ones have the round pupils here.and they also dont have that dull rough look most of the poisonous ones in the states have.just a warning in case anyone comes to australia and dont find out the hard way as i did lol. i almost picked up a baby brown snake after i got here.my husband yelled dont touch it that maybe tiny but its still could be deadly.

and yes that is a cottonmouth. that is the one kind of snake i really dont like.
they have a chunky body compared to the length.

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
that doesnt go for the snakes in australia...just a warning in case anyone comes to australia...

and yes that is a cottonmouth. that is the one kind of snake i really dont like.
they have a chunky body compared to the length.
Thanks for the warning about Australia. I have a book "In a sunburned country". Reading it, I found out that the 10 most deadliest animals in the world live in Australia. Even the cute platypus is venomous.:eek:

Here in Canada we only have one venemous snake, the Massassaga rattlesnake. It is so rare that we would be lucky to see one.

Sigrid

igors mum

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
Thanks for the warning about Australia. I have a book "In a sunburned country". Reading it, I found out that the 10 most deadliest animals in the world live in Australia. Even the cute platypus is venomous.:eek:

Here in Canada we only have one venemous snake, the Massassaga rattlesnake. It is so rare that we would be lucky to see one.

Sigrid
in oklahoma we had eastern/western and timber rattlers, cottonmouths and copperheads.across the street from where i lived was one of the largest dens of rattlesnakes in ok so we always had a eye out but it was 11 yrs before i saw one in my yard. but like i said you could always tell a poisonous one even from a distance by the rough looking scales.
loved that book by the way.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I would hope no one would go swimming in there! :eek: One of them could suddenly turn up and you are gone.

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
Like I said, it's just a pet peeve :p I'm not going to yell about it, hehe.

I'm sort-of lucky, the only venomous snakes I've seen in real life were when I was on the boardwalk at Highlands Hammock state park back home and you're about a foot or two above the ground so you don't need to worry about them(the alligators either!) Unless you count the coral snake that my old cat caught. THAT ONE early gave me a heart attack! She caught and ate half of it and left the FRONT HALF sticking out from between some boxes in our garage! We had fluorescent lights, so when I bounced out into the garage to get something one night I ended up about a foot away from the 1/2 or so of a snake that I was now close enough to to tell exactly what it was! I know we had(through the state, I think we only had a few in my hometown) cottonmouths, copperheads, coral snakes and I want to say 4 kinds of rattlesnake? Here, I haven't done too much research for the entire state, but from what bit I've looked into the area we've supposedly only got a single species of rattler, though I know there is at least one more species of rattlesnake that lives in the state in general.

Of course come to think of it, I think the only snakes I've seen Live and in person(besides at pet stores) are a bitey little corn snake(hatchling size) that I took off of the road so he wouldn't get hit(and no, I wouldn't have done that if he'd been a rattlesnake!) the randomly assorted snakes at the hammock and a little garter snake that I've seen a couple of times at my house here. I am amazed, though, as much as I went stomping through the scrub where I grew up that I didn't come home bitten by some sort of snake at least once!

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
dunno if im the only one to think so...
but what a beautiful snake:) once at an expo, i was smitten with some copperheads. dangerous, but my goodness so gorgeous!

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
I'm not really a fan of the way moccasins look. Though copperheads are definitely pretty, so are some of the rattlesnakes. I usually drool over the ones in the cobra family other than those, though.

VenomousReptiles.org Libraries Coral snakes. The cobra relative for the US(the ones who DON'T go by the slit eye generalisation here!)

Or my favourite venomous snakes: VenomousReptiles.org Libraries spectacled cobras. Don't know what exactly it is that I like about them, I just think they're pretty. And deadly, I'm not one of the nuts who would own one, I just like to look at the pictures!

And just since I'm way off topic now, a picture of a moccasin's mouth! VenomousReptiles.org Libraries and showing how chunky they are XD

Aleu

Avenue Veteran
Like I said, it's just a pet peeve :p I'm not going to yell about it, hehe.

I'm sort-of lucky, the only venomous snakes I've seen in real life were when I was on the boardwalk at Highlands Hammock state park back home and you're about a foot or two above the ground so you don't need to worry about them(the alligators either!) Unless you count the coral snake that my old cat caught. THAT ONE early gave me a heart attack! She caught and ate half of it and left the FRONT HALF sticking out from between some boxes in our garage! We had fluorescent lights, so when I bounced out into the garage to get something one night I ended up about a foot away from the 1/2 or so of a snake that I was now close enough to to tell exactly what it was! I know we had(through the state, I think we only had a few in my hometown) cottonmouths, copperheads, coral snakes and I want to say 4 kinds of rattlesnake? Here, I haven't done too much research for the entire state, but from what bit I've looked into the area we've supposedly only got a single species of rattler, though I know there is at least one more species of rattlesnake that lives in the state in general.

Of course come to think of it, I think the only snakes I've seen Live and in person(besides at pet stores) are a bitey little corn snake(hatchling size) that I took off of the road so he wouldn't get hit(and no, I wouldn't have done that if he'd been a rattlesnake!) the randomly assorted snakes at the hammock and a little garter snake that I've seen a couple of times at my house here. I am amazed, though, as much as I went stomping through the scrub where I grew up that I didn't come home bitten by some sort of snake at least once!
LOL but corns can THINK they are little rattlesnakes can't they? I have a few "hatelings" that will "s" up and rattle their tail while striking at me. That's why they're hatelings :hehe:

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
I'm sort-of lucky, the only venomous snakes I've seen in real life were when I was on the boardwalk at Highlands Hammock state park back home and you're about a foot or two above the ground so you don't need to worry about them(the alligators either!)
Highland Hammock State Park in Florida..:omg:
I was just there...and loved it. Especially the cat walk...and the gator..:dance4:

Thanks for the snake links and pictures.:highfive: I am learning a lot here...

Sigrid

I know it is offtopic, but still a reptile..Highland Hammock State Park.:D

Flit

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nicole
I've lived down south for over a decade now, and I'm very grateful to have never run across a water moccasin in all the time I've been here (save for one you might find in a zoo display :p ). I used to have an albino cali king snake. She was a pretty girl and very sweet (for a snake!). I no longer have her...she and the birds probably wouldn't get along too well. ^^

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
<3 Yep, in Florida! It was in my hometown and I still regret not going there more when I lived there!

Last edited:

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
<3 Yep, in Florida! It was in my hometown and I still regret not going there more when I lived there!
Oh..you just have to go back.:hehe: We were at Gatorama for the hatching of the baby alligators (I posted a video of that too) and while driving found the Hammock Park as a gem in the AAA book. We stopped..and we loved it.
Florida and the South have so much to offer.:hug8:
That's me holding a snake..
Sigrid

Status
Not open for further replies.