• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Smoker's Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paarthurnaax

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kira Myrick
I've got a pretty major concern...the U2 that I'm adopting is quite the snuggle-birdie, but I'm a smoker. I already know better than to smoke in the house with her (can't smoke in my current home either, no adjustment there). What I worry about is the possibility of the "cigarette smell" on my clothes bothering her. Is this a hazard to her health? I plan to quit soon anyways, but I want to know if I should try to speed up the process a bit.

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I used to smoke many years ago before I had birds. I know how hard it is to quit, but with a bird I would speed up the process. It will benefit both of your for sure. Best of luck and congrats on the U2.:heart:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I've got a pretty major concern...the U2 that I'm adopting is quite the snuggle-birdie, but I'm a smoker. I already know better than to smoke in the house with her (can't smoke in my current home either, no adjustment there). What I worry about is the possibility of the "cigarette smell" on my clothes bothering her. Is this a hazard to her health? I plan to quit soon anyways, but I want to know if I should try to speed up the process a bit.
Of course it would be better for both of you the sooner you quit. :) It is second hand smoke that clings to your clothes and hair and therefore, not good for your bird.
The other day at a parrot club meeting, Darwin met up with 2 of his previous owners. He wasn't thrilled to go to one of them and she smelled strongly of smoke. I'm not sure if that was why.
Good luck with quitting! Be strong! :hug8:

Paarthurnaax

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kira Myrick
Thank you all :)

It's interesting to learn that it's not good for them. I mean, obviously, it's not good for anyone, but I used to raise chickens, and cigarettes didn't bother them one bit. A few of ours even tried stealing the cigarette butts and carrying them around :rolleyes: learning about 'toos has been quite an experience for me, they're absolutely fascinating!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Yes, quit right away :)

Good luck! You can do it!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Thank you all :)

It's interesting to learn that it's not good for them. I mean, obviously, it's not good for anyone, but I used to raise chickens, and cigarettes didn't bother them one bit. A few of ours even tried stealing the cigarette butts and carrying them around :rolleyes: learning about 'toos has been quite an experience for me, they're absolutely fascinating!
Addiction does not only happen in people. Some of the great apes were found to have adopted the habit. Pidgeons in the wild pick up cigarette buts.

After I had quit smoking for a while I could not believe the smell left behind. Washing and painting walls were even more of an eye opener. One nursing home I know of had a very bright garden painted on the wall of the smoking room so the smoke residue would not totally cover the painting.

I am allergic to the smoke and wheeze immediately when I am around smoke OR heavy residue on a person. That is my barometer of how it affects our parrots.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Good luck to you on your journey to quit smoking...My husband was a smoker when I met him, and he ended up quitting by using the patch Unfortunately after not smoking for a good 15+ years, he started again recently after a major surgery. He blames it on stress:( So I am not too happy about it and hope he works on quitting soon. I am thinking either the patch again or the electric cigarettes

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What I worry about is the possibility of the "cigarette smell" on my clothes bothering her. Is this a hazard to her health?
Nicotene transfer will occur when your parrot comes in contact with your skin, hair or clothing.

THIRD HAND SMOKE. This article speaks to the affect it has on children.
Thirdhand Smoke - no-smoke.org

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime
I am also a smoker and have this concern. I bring home my G2 on the 30th of this month and I really think I'm going to quit.

We moved houses in April, and before moving we always smoked inside the house unless I was babysitting. After we moved, we (my partner and I both smoke, as does my mother who lives next door to us, we live in her guest house) all decided to smoke outside. After smoking outside now, I visited a friend's home who smokes inside and I couldn't believe the smell. I asked my friend (non smoker, visiting with me) if that's what my house used to smell like. She just gave me this look like "Are you serious?" and said "Um... yeah." With the tone of, "of course it did." After that, I am so glad we smoke outside because it STINKS.

I like smoking, I've smoked for 4 years, but I just don't think it's worth it. I've heard from multiple sources that even if you smoke outside, the nicotine from your hands can get on your bird's feathers and cause plucking. No one wants that, especially in 'toos. My doctor also just told me that if I'm interested, he'd write me a prescription for Chantix. Definitely something to think about. :)

P.S. Good for you for putting your bird before yourself. :hug8:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would speed the process up. In the mean time, having a smoking shirt and a non-smoking shirt. Go outside to smoke in the smoking shirt. Air yourself out for 20 minutes or so and then come back in and change shirts. Try to keep her out of your hair and wash your hands after smoking. Should help minimize the danger. I don't smoke, I know it drives me flipping bonkers when someone smokes and then thinks they are good to be around sensitive people just because they don't actually have a cigarrette in their hand. They still reak of it to the point o making me nauseous and wanting to pop open a window and get away. I would think the bird can have similar problems. Espeically with cockatoos tendency to feather pick, I'd keep her well away from anyone smoking or who has recently smoked. Of course, the easy answer is just quit and then you don't have to worry about it. ;)

paperdragon

I used to have a friend that smoked, and every time I visited her I had to scrub down and wash my hair to keep my mom from having an allergic reaction when I got back. I definitely suggest quitting entirely and making sure nothing in your house has any residue well before bringing a bird home.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You would be handling the too a lot more than what you likely handled your chickens. Also, the effects build over time. Tops live a lot longer than chickens. Absolutely wash your hands every time you handle her. Nicotine is secreted in our pores. Yellowing hands and nails aren't just from contact. Dont use perfumes or air fresheners to cover the smell, they're just as bad. Congratulations and good luck with quitting. Cold turkey and soy joy bars helped me quit without gaining weight.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
My hubby and I both smoke...we do not smoke in the house....we do wash our hands before touching the birds.

Conmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Helen
Here I go again...ABSOLUTEY NO!!! Just don't smoke around her. I'm a smoker, and if you read the post @ "Birds don't smoke, why?" you'll get more insight. Many here (nonsmokers) will disagree, I have two happy, healthy GCC's who have not been subjected to direct cigarette smoke but certainly smell it on me. They don't pull their feathers or do anything else detrimental to their health. Just don't subject them to actual smoke. They'll be fine.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here I go again...ABSOLUTEY NO!!! Just don't smoke around her. I'm a smoker, and if you read the post @ "Birds don't smoke, why?" you'll get more insight. Many here (nonsmokers) will disagree, I have two happy, healthy GCC's who have not been subjected to direct cigarette smoke but certainly smell it on me. They don't pull their feathers or do anything else detrimental to their health. Just don't subject them to actual smoke. They'll be fine.
Might I point out you have green cheek conures. Cockatoos will feather pick for physical reasons if almost anything is out of whack. I'm sure there are smokers with non-picking cockatoos. But which a species so prone to hurting itself for a multitude of different reasons, I'd just assume totally eliminate a big one. I agree with you, with a lot of species, you could probably get away with good hand washing and maybe, maybe not have a problem. Cockatoos take reaction to everything up a notch. I wouldn't risk it with a cockatoo. JMO. I'd probably say the same thing for grey owners too. Some species are just more reactive than others. Most amazons probably wouldn't show any signs of a problem unless you happened to get a sensitive individual. With cockatoos, its pretty safe to assume that 90% of them are sensitive individuals. Speaking as someone that has two cockatoos who feather pick over relatively minor physical things.
Melissa

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats on your pending addition! If being owned by a 'too gives you more incentive to stop smoking, good for you!

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Just because it doesn't physically effect your birds doesn't mean it won't effect other birds. All birds are different. It's safer and healthier for everyone if bird owners quite smoking anyways. I've always thought of bird owning as a good influence on people because it really gives them a good reason to stop smoking. No one ever said that smokers were bad, we are just trying to educate you on how smoking can harm your birds. You feel like everyone is picking on you but we are not. There is really a real risk with smoking with birds and we are trying to warn people of that risk so their birds don't get hurt.

Paarthurnaax

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kira Myrick
Thank you all so much for the advice and support. :D

I'm coming towards the end of my current pack, hoping to work on quitting from there. Since I currently live with my parents, I'm going to start by borrowing from them. That way, I won't have access to them whenever, and will have to hold off on the 'urge' as long as I can bear.

My fiancee has been a bit like my own personal cheerleader, praising me every time I manage to turn one down or hold off more than a few hours :heart: hoping her help will keep me on the right path :D

Status
Not open for further replies.