• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Small Update And A Diet For Stormy

Katelyn W.

Strolling the yard
Hello everyone! Sorry I haven’t been very active on here, my apologies.

I’m still trying to bond with Thundery more and let her fly around if she wants in the limited space she has so she doesn’t get stuck anywhere.

Also I’ve changed out the food and water bowls I had originally for metal inner food bowls. It’s not exactly pleasing to the eyes but I think it’s better than what it was before.

19B96897-69ED-4E26-9425-9AC2FC0BEF3C.jpeg

I was also wondering how I would start giving Stormy a better diet, as in fruits and vegetables and other things like that. Her whole life Stormy has mostly eaten just seed, I’ve tried feeding her a bit of fruit before but she didn’t even touch it.

I was wondering what’s safe to give her and what’s good to start off with?

21586426-0C96-42F6-9D14-45974ED4AC4A.jpeg
CD08A8FE-85D6-446B-83D5-450DC4E9DD19.jpeg

Also here’s Stormy being photogenic on top of the cage as I write this.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair

Maybe a fruit stick thingy would be a good way to encourage the eating of the icky health stuff!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
She seems pretty happy up on the cage! She doesn't seem to worried about your presence either.

Katelyn W.

Strolling the yard

Maybe a fruit stick thingy would be a good way to encourage the eating of the icky health stuff!
What fruit do you think would be good?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My parrotlets really like apple, grapes and some strawberry as their favourites! Maybe try strawberry, I know @Kiwi's Mom Kiwi and Blizzard enjoy it!
They also like dandelion flowers, quinoa, rice, and the occasional pepper. Kiwi and Blizzard don't like strawberry a ton, but they will happily pick the little seeds off the outside. They also like apple skin (with some flesh still on) weaved though the cage bars as a treat.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would do a gradual approach. Cut up a variety of fresh veggies into small pieces and then stir in some of Stormy's current seed mixtures. As he picks through the seeds he will likely eat some of the veggies. Also incorporating moist foods, ie: sweet potatoes and bananas, will cause some of their seed to stick, so he'll get to eat fresh food stuck to his seeds whether he wanted to or not!

Over time, and depending upon how he's taking to the mixture, slowly cut back on the seed until you finally have him on an all fresh veggies and fruit. The key is to do it slowly, depending upon how he's adjusting to the change.

Hopefully this helps!

Katelyn W.

Strolling the yard
I would do a gradual approach. Cut up a variety of fresh veggies into small pieces and then stir in some of Stormy's current seed mixtures. As he picks through the seeds he will likely eat some of the veggies. Also incorporating moist foods, ie: sweet potatoes and bananas, will cause some of their seed to stick, so he'll get to eat fresh food stuck to his seeds whether he wanted to or not!

Over time, and depending upon how he's taking to the mixture, slowly cut back on the seed until you finally have him on an all fresh veggies and fruit. The key is to do it slowly, depending upon how he's adjusting to the change.

Hopefully this helps!
I don’t have many veggies on-hand right now but I do have some fruits. Bananas, apples and grapes. Would those be okay to try out?

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Of course! Fresh veggies is preferable and should be the majority of his diet at some point. If he eats too much fruit, his sugar intake will be bumped up. The grains that others have mentioned are additional great foods to add as you start along your journey from seed to veggie/fruit/grain transition.

Even frozen mixed veggies that don't contain added salt is better than not having any veggies at all.

Katelyn W.

Strolling the yard
3381C340-A1E8-46D9-8B45-059C1D5D0089.jpeg

I added some fruits and a veggie to her food so she might be encouraged to at least peck at it.

Got some apple, grape and carrot bits in there. As well as a few crunched up Cheerios. I looked up everything I used and they should be safe for her to eat.

I’ll take them out when I head to bed so they won’t just sit there spoiling.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My suggestion is to cut the veggies up much smaller: as in seed size. Your little one has a little beak and is more likely to peck and eat a tiny piece over a strange looking big piece.

Katelyn W.

Strolling the yard
My suggestion is to cut the veggies up much smaller: as in seed size. Your little one has a little beak and is more likely to peck and eat a tiny piece over a strange looking big piece.
That’s noted. Thank you.

Reactions: Ali

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
As in dehydrated? Yes, but do watch the labels for any hidden ingredients that birds shouldn't eat. Straight dehydrated veggies are good.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I just wanted to wish you lots of luck! Mine are having spring mix salad with a black grape today! ;)