• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Small spot with missing feathers on shoulder

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Ok I am not sure if this is a problem or not? I was bathing Moto today and I noticed a tiny patch just at the point of his shoulder that is missing feathers. He does seem to be going through a moult recently, he has lost a tail feather two weeks ago along with some smaller feathers which are just starting to come back in, all of this other feathers look healthy. He gets bathed 2 x week, and gets fresh air and sunshine 3 x week at least. Here is a pic, it was hard to get a pic of the spot, hope you can see it.
shoulder.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Could be moutling, my IRN moults in patches and has little bald spot's on him too. Do keep an eye on it.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Could be moutling, my IRN moults in patches and has little bald spot's on him too. Do keep an eye on it.
If it is the result of moulting about how long should it take for the feathers to return?
Thank you

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If it is the result of moulting about how long should it take for the feathers to return?
Thank you
Hi! A couple weeks you should be seeing pin feathers coming in.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Oh brother I thought he was moulting before when I was finding a few whitish down feathers and a couple small green ones, but I am guessing that was a pre-moult. Poor Moto is in full moult now, I can see pin feathers and and lots more feathers under the cage. I can tell he is itchy and uncomfortable but since he isn't hand tame I cannot help him at all.

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
Do any of the feathers look any different? The whitish feathers under the cage?

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
No the feathers under the cage seem the same whitish down feathers and some small green ones, on his body I can see some pin feathers coming in. I gave him a bath and 2 hours outside in the sun today which he enjoyed.

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
Ok. Keep an eye on him for excessive feather loss. If he still looks shabby in a few weeks bring him for a check up with the very.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
Ok. Keep an eye on him for excessive feather loss. If he still looks shabby in a few weeks bring him for a check up with the very.
Yes I will keep a close watch. I have hard birds before so I know he is going through a moult. I know they can look pretty ratty, especially when it is a hard moult. He actually doesn't look as bad as some I have seen. I just feel bad because in the past my birds have been hand tame and I could help preen new growth and give skritches and I can't with Moto.