• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Small red dots all over dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaribaCalico

Jogging around the block
We took in a basset hound mix puppy a few weeks ago from someone that did not feed her or care for her properly. A few days ago we noticed some red dots on her stomach and inside of her legs. Now they are all over her stomach and legs. Any idea what this is or what would cause this? She hasn't been scratching/licking/biting at it.

Attachments

AshleyFamily

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laurie & Mark Ashley
that looks like dermatitis, and needs to be treated by a vet. It could be an allergic reaction to fleas, food, or even fertilizer from grass, or it could be dermatitis mange, but either way, get her to a vet.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
It looks like allergies, really bad allergies. I have seen untreated Demodex mange look like that. It is probably very itchy and uncomfortable, I am amazed she isn't scratching. You need to get her to the vet right away. They will give her an injection probably to quiet it down. They will also probably prescribe an antihistamine like Benadryl, which you could also give. And then they will try to figure out what is the cause. It could be a food allergy. She may need food without corn or wheat or some protein. I would put her on a grain free fish based food. They might prescribe medicated baths too. Poor baby.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Looks like an allergic reaction to something. I would seek the Vet first. Oatmeal shampoo should help calm the skin you csn find one that is soap free. Flea bite dermatitis can also happen just from one bite. The Vet is the best bet here to get a baseline esp if they ferl it could be mange.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
You need a vet visit. Did she have fleas when you got her? Poor baby is probably itchy all the time.

KaribaCalico

Jogging around the block
We will be taking her to the vet. I am thinking it is allergies. She didn't have fleas when we got her. We checked all the dogs today and didn't see any fleas or eggs on any of them. I don't think it is mange as she isn't scratching or losing hair.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You don't always see the fleas, in fact if you do...you've tons. I know, I'm fighting a battle with the little boogers right now. They can leave spots like that, my cat's tummy was looking similar.

I also vote for a vet visit though. Fleas could be the problem, but so can many other things.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Could be chigger bites.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would lay odds it is demodex mange. It is very common in puppies with low immune systems. This puppy needs vet care ASAP. Treatment is slow in resolving this issue and if not treated it can progress very rapidly. This is other advanced.
It could also be sarcoptic mange. If it is it is highly contagious to humans and other animals.

Last edited:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
my dog is allergic to flea bites and something else in the Spring months and is on meds for his allergies. We've managed to get past the fleas, but when he had them he'd get a rash all over his belly, inside of his legs, etc that looked just like the pics you shared. Good luck, it looks like that would make the poor doggie miserable.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
It does look very uncomfortable. I hope you can get him or her seen quickly so they can rule out mange. It is treatable, which is good but to come on so fast doesn't sound like mange but I have never had a dog comprosmised by it either.

If you cannot get to the Vet due tomorrow Vickie had a good suggestion of benedryl and of course if you can find oatmeal shampoo (soap less) that will help calm the skin too.

KaribaCalico

Jogging around the block
I can't get her in until Thursday because they are closed tomorrow. We gave her Benedryl and are going to try to give her an oatmeal bath. She is the worst when it comes to having a bath.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
Gracie, my shih tzu, looked like that as a puppy. She was allergic to pollen, but some Chlorpheniramine cleared her problem up and she is now 3 and seems to have grown out of the pollen allergy.

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My dog has severe flea allergies. It only takes ONE flea bite to set him into an allergic frenzy.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Try wiping creamy peanut butter along the inside of the bathtub to keep her busy and preoccupied. Of course, if she is really upset this won't help, but if she is just mildly fussy, it should work. Be sure to rinse all the shampoo off. Did the benadryl quiet it down at all? Also, if you have grass in your yard, I would try to keep her off of it for a while and see if that quiets it down. Her skins looks so angry and inflamed:(

I can't get her in until Thursday because they are closed tomorrow. We gave her Benedryl and are going to try to give her an oatmeal bath. She is the worst when it comes to having a bath.

KaribaCalico

Jogging around the block
The benadryl seemed to help a lot. She wasn't too bad with her bath until she decided to jump out into my lap when she was all wet. :lol:I will try to keep her out of the grass.

ImaBirdMom

Real Name
Jessica
Try wiping creamy peanut butter along the inside of the bathtub to keep her busy and preoccupied. Of course, if she is really upset this won't help, but if she is just mildly fussy, it should work. Be sure to rinse all the shampoo off. Did the benadryl quiet it down at all? Also, if you have grass in your yard, I would try to keep her off of it for a while and see if that quiets it down. Her skins looks so angry and inflamed:(
What a great idea about the peanut butter on the side of the tub!!

Hope you can get to the bottom of this ! I know your not sure about what food she's was on before you but what about now?

ImaBirdMom

Real Name
Jessica
Were the bumps there when you found her?

Status
Not open for further replies.