• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent slow growth

Sbs

Moving in
Hi friend this is sunny'
First I have to tell u my English is not that so plz try to understand me....
I have 1 cockatiel chick he is 25 days old but I think he is not growing properly and his keeps his always close now I my trying to hand feed him from today so plz tell me is he stunted or it's ok....
Thank u for help in advance....

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I don't have baby cockatiel experience but I'm sure others will be able to answer better. In the meantime, this link might find helpful:

Watch Me Grow

@Laurul Feather Cat ?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don’t have baby cockatiel experience either, but hopefully someone will come along soon who does. Your baby is very cute!

Reactions: Sbs

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
No offense meant, but where are you and what is your first language? We may have a member who could help. I have 2-3 cockatiels (tiels) who were the runts (weak ones) and are still the smallest of all my tiels.

Sbs

Moving in
Hi friend this is sunny'
First I have to tell u my English is not that so plz try to understand me....
I have 1 cockatiel chick he is 25 days old but I think he is not growing properly and his keeps his always close now I my trying to hand feed him from today so plz tell me is he stunted or it's ok....
Thank u for help in advance....

Attachments

Sbs

Moving in
Hi, I'm from india n I mostly talk in hindi language.
He is active he started flapping his wings but he always keeps his eye closed, n I think he is not looking as 20+ days old baby, now I don't know what to do....

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
What a cutie! Your bird looks quite normal and the feather growth seems to be right on schedule. Keeping his eyes closed could just be because he is bored and wants to sleep. Young cockatiel babies do two things, eat and sleep and that is all they do until they are fully feathered and ready to start the fledging exercises of flapping their wings and walking around looking at their environment. Just continue to feed the little guy and he will do fine.

:welave: Love the pictures, thanks.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Can you make the food warm? 38-39 degrees.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Can you make the food warm? 38-39 degrees.
Assuming you're quoting Fahrenheit it would be approximately 3.333C. What is 38 Fahrenheit in Celsius?

I had a Secret Santa a couple of years ago and I'm trying to find her name to see if she can help you. Some times the smallest baby never develops to the same size as all the others.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The baby is very cute. Have you had him since he hatched and were mom and dad caring for him and you pulled him or did you recently get him? He doesn't look stunted to me and he's very cute, btw.

Sbs

Moving in
Sorry for the late,,,, I pulled him out when he is 20 days old because I thought he is not growing because when I searched on net they show very heavy bird but mine was not that, and his eyes are always sticky, then I pulled him out and opened his eyes with wet wipes n started hand feeding , he is very loud and takes feed properly almost 10 to 12 cc but still I'm worried....

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No, cause I don't have any....
It would be a good idea to purchase a digital gram scale. They aren't that expensive.
Checking the baby's weight is important to make sure they are gaining weight. However, they will lose weight during the weaning process but then gain some of it back.
I weighed my red-bellied babies daily. It's even good to weigh adult birds every now and then to make sure that they are maintaining their weight.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
10 cc is about right for his age. Just don’t limit the food - feed when he wants and as much as he wants.

He is beautiful. :heart:

Don’t worry too much, he might just be a slender or smaller bird. The photos show a healthy bird.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What are you feeding him?

Sbs

Moving in
I'm feeding him petslife formula, others like kattey or zuprime are not available here in my state, n he always takes 10 to 12cc is it ok¿¿¿¿

Last edited: