• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Slight Problem with Buffet Ball/Kabob toy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today I came home from a long day's work and to my utter horror and astonishment:omg: found
the Kabob portion hanging by its lonely self. :eek:

and the buffet ball and platter on the floor of Emma's cage.

Obviously Emma had managed to tinker with the mechanism at the end of the skewer and once the buffet ball and platter hit the ground, they both stayed there untouched the whole day. Thank goodness, they did not break. :eek:

I have decided not to use the skewer anymore, Instead I have replaced the skewer with my Mother Pluckin toy skewers and for Sachi's I will continue to use the Vegetable kabob skewer as per Pat's suggestion. They are much more secure at the bottom and it would be pretty impossible for Emma or Sachi to unscrew them on purpose or inadvertently.

Just sharing with all of you.:D:hug8:

Attachments

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
That little stinker Emma..:hehe: Yes I find the regular skewers secure, I have never had Carlos unscrew one of those. Glad Emma wasnt hurt.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Pat!:D I'm glad too. Must have surprised her though.:lol:

It's too bad that she still refuses to touch these toys that I had purchased for her in December. One of these days, I hope.:p

Toys

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Carlos is the same way. They can be funny about new things and things you think wouldnt scare them do. It just takes time sometimes. :)

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
Yes I'm glad she wasn't hurt, wow I can't believe she managed to unscrew it. :eek:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes I'm glad she wasn't hurt, wow I can't believe she managed to unscrew it. :eek:
The one in the photo is my Mother Pluckin Bird toy skewer!! It's awesome.:dancing:

The one that comes with the Buffet ball has this plastic knob thing that simply needs to be pressed underneath lightly and then PRESTO you can remove the platter and buffet ball from the skewer. I never imagined that Emma would bother with underneath the platter.:eek::o:

In my opinion, it's the only thing that needs to be improved upon with this toy. Otherwise, it's AWESOME!!:cool: Here's a small video that was taken last week. You can see what the bottom looks like.

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
*gasp* Emma :eek:

miss smarty pants :D

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
This is fear Saroj had with the Buffet Ball/Kabob as well, she thought the Caiques might press the release button and have the platter and ball come crashing down. I must have very un-inquisitive birds, as none of mine have even bothered with the release button under the platter, either that, or they're just way to focused on the food/goodies inside the ball to bother :lol:

Glad Emma is okay and you found a great solution!!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Emma is an advanced child. :lol: I'm glad she wasn't hurt. Ruby doesn't bother the bead but I'll be watching her. Thanks for the heads up.

Saemma, I have the Nut and Bolt strip for Ruby and she has absolutely no interest in it. I'm sending it to a friend who has a bored macaw. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Emma is an advanced child. :lol: I'm glad she wasn't hurt.

Saemma, I have the Nut and bolt strip for Ruby and she has absolutely no interest in it. I'm sending it to a friend who has a bored macaw. :)

Ruby is just too refined :heart:to tinker around with hardware. Afterall, she's a Diva!!:heart:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I guess the saying "if it says child proof give it to a child to open" needs to be expanded to Parrots as well :)

You'd think they'd find some way that only a human can remove parts off of things like this

like a locking mechanism you have to have a "key" for actually my Swimming Pool light is made just like that, so kids can't get into it - they can twist the cover all day long it won't come off, it came with a plastic hexagon type key (plus the other 2 ends are the "screw drivers to attach it" but the key part gets put in and you have to hold that part down while turning the cover - Its very hard to do with just one person

they need to make toys like that!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is fear Saroj had with the Buffet Ball/Kabob as well, she thought the Caiques might press the release button and have the platter and ball come crashing down. I must have very un-inquisitive birds, as none of mine have even bothered with the release button under the platter, either that, or they're just way to focused on the food/goodies inside the ball to bother :lol:
Glad Emma is okay and you found a great solution!!
I'm not sure a smaller parrot like a Caique or Pionus would be able to do manipulate the mechanism unless they're very *strong* for a small parrot and motivated.. but I bet your NEW big Baby MOJO could do it with no problem.:eek: Emma's head must have been underneath the platter when everything came tumbling down.:eek:

It would only be a matter of time for your Big guy to figure it out. :rolleyes:Definitely recommend the MP Skewers for the bigger guys (greys, cockatoos, Capes, Amazon, Severe Macaws, Ekkies, etc.. if you're going to use this toy,:) Jmo

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I guess the saying "if it says child proof give it to a child to open" needs to be expanded to Parrots as well :)

You'd think they'd find some way that only a human can remove parts off of things like this

like a locking mechanism you have to have a "key" for actually my Swimming Pool light is made just like that, so kids can't get into it - they can twist the cover all day long it won't come off, it came with a plastic hexagon type key (plus the other 2 ends are the "screw drivers to attach it" but the key part gets put in and you have to hold that part down while turning the cover - Its very hard to do with just one person

they need to make toys like that!
I hear ya! I should probably write to them and tell them about this experience.:D

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
So far Mojo hasn't bothered with it, but we'll see, he's managed to take apart just about everything else he gets his beak on. I've been eyeballing those Frasier Mechanical toys you posted .. that's exactly the kind of stuff he LOVES. Those are on my birdie wish list for the near future, but for now, I've improvised using various SS bolts, wingnuts, washers .. etc. Not as fancy, but still very entertaining for him.

I have several MP skewers that I could use if necessary. I'd love to try the buffet ball on the "rollercoaster" skewer .. lol .. I bet that would give them all a real challenge!!!

I'm not sure a smaller parrot like a Caique or Pionus would be able to do manipulate the mechanism unless they're very *strong* for a small parrot and motivated.. but I bet your NEW big Baby MOJO could do it with no problem.:eek: Emma's head must have been underneath the platter when everything came tumbling down.:eek:

It would only be a matter of time for your Big guy to figure it out. :rolleyes:Definitely recommend the MP Skewers for the bigger guys (greys, cockatoos, Capes, Amazon, Severe Macaws, Ekkies, etc.. if you're going to use this toy,:) Jmo

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
She is very smart!

Matt

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was hoping to try that toy as a replacement for his one: http://www.creativeforagingsystems.com/p7hg_img_1/fullsize/newman-vgood-sphere.jpg but it sounds like I may have the same problem. How does yours screw together? With mine he was taking the ball apart by unscrewing it from the bottom. What about the one that screws to the side of the cage? Have you tried that one?
Haven't tried the one that mounts on the cage yet. I really like the one that hangs because it offers more of a challenge because it doesn't stay in place. If you have a chance, please do purchased the Medium or Large sized MP stainless steel toy skewers. They are awesome, indispensable and solve the problem.:dance4::hug8:The *screw balls* at the bottom are quite Large. It would be extremely difficult for either Ash or Cody to remove them with simply the beak. The only way I see them being able to do it is if they actually used their toes to unscrew it.:eek:. but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't happen.:rofl:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was hoping to try that toy as a replacement for his one: http://www.creativeforagingsystems.com/p7hg_img_1/fullsize/newman-vgood-sphere.jpg but it sounds like I may have the same problem. How does yours screw together? With mine he was taking the ball apart by unscrewing it from the bottom. What about the one that screws to the side of the cage? Have you tried that one?

Don't have that toy.:huh: Would you be able to explain what holds or *prevents* the Ball from sliding through the skewer?:huh: The photo is not obvious to me!:confused:

Last edited:

drop

Rollerblading along the road
Okay, so when you guys were talking about the MPBT skewer, you are using it to modify the buffet ball toy, and not as an alternative? I hadn't caught the modification part last night (I didn't know what the MPBT thing was until I looked it up just now). Sounds like a good idea, because I agree that the hanging ones bring on more of a challange.

For the other hanging ball toy that I have, the skewer unscrews about 1/3 the way down, then the ball goes on and it screws back together. The loop on the end (where the bell is, I took that off), is what prevents the ball from sliding off. I

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.