• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep structure???

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Thank you everyone! I’m currently drying shredded corn husks to make up a foraging box for Puk, I’ll add weaving materials too then! Today is day one and he has not yet felt comfortable enough to leave the play stand on top of the cage. But maybe weaving materials will entice him to explore more. Luckily he is giving my plenty of beak grinds so I know he’s content for now! I’ve been reading him the story of The Little Prince to help us get acquainted
You can buy corn husks bagged for making tamales, I found them in the import food store. I’m going to add some to Willow’s toy box (in his cage).

He IS falling in love with you, I am sure.

Last edited:

TwoGreenFids

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jewels
Smash a comfy chair uoti the cage . And see yourself up with snacks for you both , little things to play with . Just hang out and do your own thing. And sweet talk offer snacks , let him get curious and crawl around on you then back to cage. I like to vuo them with my hand while they snuggle on my chest. Dint focus on training, just ket then get brave climbing on you getting kisses, stepping on and off a hand held close to body like you just a play gym . But if course you brag how smset and special they are when they do
The chair is a great idea! Ive been spending most of my time hanging out by the cage and talking and letting him get used to me without me needing to be all up in his business. But the chair allows him to get close to me on his terms! I LOVE IT!

TwoGreenFids

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jewels
You can buy corn husks bagged for making tamales, I found them in the import food store. I’m going to add some to Willow’s toy box (in his cage).

He IS falling in love with you, I am sure.
Oh what a good idea!!! I think I'm gonna have to stock up hahah And thank you <3 He is starting to get much braver exploring his cage! Go Puck Go!!!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Please do supervise your toddler when he interacts with the bird. Tame little parrots can get badly hurt by toddlers, who don’t quite understand that they are alive.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Please do supervise your toddler when he interacts with the bird. Tame little parrots can get badly hurt by toddlers, who don’t quite understand that they are alive.
Her husband there in picture supervising

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Her husband there in picture supervising
I understand. I had a bird who was badly injured by a toddler, though, so I wanted to put it out there. The kid didn’t mean to but my bird was painful her whole life.

I wouldn’t have thought she’d allow it, but she did put up with the handling and almost died. The bird won’t always fly or get away. It’s great when your child and bird like each other but it can put bird into some danger.

TwoGreenFids

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jewels
Oh absolutely! I was taking the photo with one hand and had the other to intervene if needed. Paskal is used to interacting with our other bird and we are teaching him how to gently pet the head, give treats, and most importantly, to say “okay” and back away when the bird indicates they aren’t happy with what you’re doing. Since birds are going to remain a bird part of our sons life we think it’s important to start teaching him early.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That’s wonderful!
i am always surprised when toddlers think Willow (Quaker) is a toy.
Lucy (Quaker) was terrified of toddlers but loved attention from anyone above 4 or 5 yrs. She was rehomed from a couple with a very hyper little boy.