• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep , how much?

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Caiques sleep when the sun goes down, and wake up with it.
The changing length of days as the seasons change is the major driver for their hormones.
Better not to mess with it.
And the short answer is they need +- 12 hours of sleep a night

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I loved this article too.
Especially this: "If you have been tip-toeing around at night or depriving yourself of trips to the refrigerator in fear of waking your parrot, you can stop that right now. Obviously, parrots have evolved systems for incorporating interruptions like that into their ability to get adequate rest"

Sometimes my t.v. stays on til very late at night, and sometimes it is on very early in the morning, (like now). I honestly believe this does not bother mine at all. Once they get used to this, I think it must be like someone getting used to sleeping with white noise, or in an apartment housed on a busy street, etc.

I have a friend who debates with me on sleep cycles. I try to not get my days and nights turned around for practical purposes, but also for my birds. I do believe they do better with somewhat of a schedule, ie: sleeping at dark time, waking in light times.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I try to not get my days and nights turned around for practical purposes, but also for my birds. I do believe they do better with somewhat of a schedule, ie: sleeping at dark time, waking in light times.
That's the easiest way to go, but we have a few night shift folks who make an adjusted day work with their flocks. It's all about the routine. :)

I was really surprised about too much sleep being a possible cause or opportunity for feather destructive behaviors. :o: And I liked the part about roosting. Sounded like reading a book before bed to wind down.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I was really surprised about too much sleep being a possible cause or opportunity for feather destructive behaviors. :o: And I liked the part about roosting. Sounded like reading a book before bed to wind down.

I guess it's like a toddler who gets sent to bed and has nothing to do, so they put the stuffing out of a toy up their nose! YOW! I have noticed recently that if I leave the dim nightlight on next to F&F's cage they are still singing up a storm, even at late hours. Last night when I shut it off, the singing stopped immediately. Amazing what a tiny bit of light can do. Another night light stays on in our room, but it's at least 12 feet from their cage.

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
My timer for the avian light is set for 12 hours on 12 hours off. And as I really have no need to enter the lounge when it's birds sleep , so they can sleep the night away. Which I will have some me time .

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
About 9 hours. I turn the lights off at 10 and most of the time turn them back on at 9. I leave the blinds open in their room though so they get to wake with the sun. When I go to turn on their lights, everyone is already up. This allows me to sleep in on my days off without worrying about them.