• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

slammed my parrots leg with a lock

MishaZip

Moving in
Real Name
Michael
photo_2018-10-30_10-12-10.jpg photo_2018-10-30_10-12-04.jpg
Hello. I would really appreciate a help from knowledgeable people. I slammed my parrots left foot while he was sitting on a door's lock so there was a little tiny place where he placed his foot somewhere in the lock's parts, i guess.It wasn't the whole door.

I don't know for sure if it's a boy or a girl, neither do i know the age of the bird, since i found this Senegal parrot on the street a few years ago and took it home. By all the signs I could find on internet and by its looks I'm guessing It's a young male.

He squealed and flew to sit on his cage, not letting me close for a first few minutes. He didn't stand on both of his feet and tried to use only undamaged leg(right). After an hour or so he was walking and landing using both of his feet shifting his weight just a little. He was as playful and active as always and then he went to sleep and even climbed the cage. Though he constantly touched the damaged foot with his beak and was using only one feet to sit on porch.
Today he seems to be showing the same behavior and movements. The damaged leg visually shows the same amplitude of movement while walking, the claws (fingers?) contract with the same amplitude while he walks on porch, though he doesn't use them to grab food or sit on porch for a long time. He even scratches himself using both of his feet
The foot has the same color and texture. There's a little bump on the damaged foot and what seems to be scratch that is only on the surface and doesn't seem to expand on further down to еру sole.

He eats and plays as always. I've attached the photo of the damaged leg.
My biggest fear is I broke the joint of the longest finger though it seems to be moving normally. He asks out (he's usually out for 6-9 hours a day). Do i let him out or do I leave him in cage to restrict his movements?
What do you think of the damaged food?

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Take him to the vet for an X-ray

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Its looks like a superficial boo boo to me, is the foot hotter then the other? If he uses the boo boo foot to scratch, then its mobile. Not perching on it would be normal coz its sore. Can you rub some ointment of silver sulfadiazine, manuka honey or aloe vera ,,,even vitamin E oil to help soothe it? Just watch him,,,hope hes ok. Maybe cage rest for a couple days.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Also get him some better perches, while you're at it. Those wooden dowels aren't doing him any favors. :(

MishaZip

Moving in
Real Name
Michael
Its looks like a superficial boo boo to me, is the foot hotter then the other? If he uses the boo boo foot to scratch, then its mobile. Not perching on it would be normal coz its sore. Can you rub some ointment of silver sulfadiazine, manuka honey or aloe vera ,,,even vitamin E oil to help soothe it? Just watch him,,,hope hes ok. Maybe cage rest for a couple days.
It does feel a bit hotter, but he keeps her up deep in the feathers while he's sitting on the porch so It could be that. I already applied some antibacterial solution. Thanks for the advice.
Also get him some better perches, while you're at it. Those wooden dowels aren't doing him any favors. :(
Oh, really ? What kind of perch would you recommend?

Also I've scheduled an appointment with ovarian. I will take my bird to him just in case.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope his foot will be okay! Natural branch type perches, platform perches, and tight rope perches are all good. You want a variety so they can use their feet in different ways.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It does look sore. Does he still have a good grip when he steps up or grabs you with the foot? Could be sore, could be a sprain or could be a break? Definitely hurting him. I would apply some aloe vera (Avi-vera) to soothe the area . Good that you are taking him to the vet so the foot can be checked. My red-bellied parrot Lucy was bit by another bird and it turned out that she not only had a wound but also a broken toe.
Hope all will be well. Keep us updated.

MishaZip

Moving in
Real Name
Michael
It does look sore. Does he still have a good grip when he steps up or grabs you with the foot? Could be sore, could be a sprain or could be a break? Definitely hurting him. I would apply some aloe vera (Avi-vera) to soothe the area . Good that you are taking him to the vet so the foot can be checked. My red-bellied parrot Lucy was bit by another bird and it turned out that she not only had a wound but also a broken toe.
Hope all will be well. Keep us updated.
Yes, O could feel the grip by my own finger and it was solid. How did they fix the broken finger of your bird? Is she ok now?

You want a variety so they can use their feet in different ways.
I didn't know that ! Thanks. I will buy some new branches and perches today.
The thing is he's out for most of the day and he grabs and climbs everywhere - from my shoulder to coach and flat surfaces. But I guess it's always good to keep the diversity even inside of the cage.

I will post an update after seeing the ovarian tomorrow.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They tried to splint and bandage the toe but it wasn't good. She did wind up losing the tip of her toe because tissue became necrotic. She had two ligaments sticking out from the break and the vet wound up having to cut those. She is doing OK, though. She is able to climb, perch, hold food in her foot, etc. Hopefully your Senegal (what is the name?) just has a sore foot and there is no breakage. His grip is good and he is perching so that may be more indicative of just a sore foot.
BTW, welcome to AA.

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
It looks to me like a scrape. If he cannot put weight on it, or perch properly then I would say something broken. That does not look like the case. Maybe a good pinch?

As for the perches that Garet was talking about, birds only having a round perch overtime does not allow the foot to be able to move around on different shapes and such to help keep them in good shape. Imagine you standing all day each day in the SAME shoe. Not fun, not comfy and not good for your feet.

Many choose good wood perches that are larger in diameter, some are branched with different sizes all along- Dragonwood mostly straight/round but vary in sizes and shape. Manzanita branches are very good various sizes and shapes. Grapewood softer wood but still tough in very cool quirky sizes and shapes. Allowing for great foot excersize! I am also a huge fan of rope perches, one they can be washed in the dishwasher (high heat, no soap) they are not that expensive- and boings! I love boings because they offer great excersize to legs, feet and allow for some springy fun and also creating great balance.

MishaZip

Moving in
Real Name
Michael
Hopefully your Senegal (what is the name?) just has a sore foot and there is no breakage.
This is exactly what the ovarian said today. However he also said that if in two weeks situation with the foot is the same we'll have to do x-ray, but for now it looks superficial, though he prescribed some anti-inflammatory medication to take once a day.
Many choose good wood perches that are larger in diameter, some are branched with different sizes all along- Dragonwood mostly straight/round but vary in sizes and shape. Manzanita branches are very good various sizes and shapes. Grapewood softer wood but still tough in very cool quirky sizes and shapes. Allowing for great foot excersize! I am also a huge fan of rope perches, one they can be washed in the dishwasher (high heat, no soap) they are not that expensive- and boings! I love boings because they offer great excersize to legs, feet and allow for some springy fun and also creating great balance.
Thanks ! I will try to diversify the perches in my parrot's cage.

Thank you all for your kind words and useful tips ! I hope my parrot's foot will heal fast and easy.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that the vet said it is probably just sore. Hope it heals quickly? What is your Senegal's name?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hoping Kesha heals soon.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
How's his foot doing now? Any better? Poor baby!

MishaZip

Moving in
Real Name
Michael
How's his foot doing now? Any better? Poor baby!
He started holding food in it and visually stop limping even as far as i can see. The bump on the foot almost disappeared and the only noticeable damage is a stripe of scratched skin.
Hoping Kesha heals soon.
Thank you. It hurt so much watching him suffering for the first day after injury happened. Truly you become responsible ,forever, for what you have tamed (c)

p.s. I just realized i've been using "ovarian" instead of "avian doctor" during the whole thread. How stupid of me even considering English is not my first language. I apologize.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
No need to apologize for the little mistake. I liked it :)

I hope Kesha is feeling better really soon. Sounds like you have a lot of love for this little bird you rescued and it sounds like you take your responsibility seriously, your little bird could not have been found by a better person.

Welcome to the Avenue @MishaZip.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the update. Great that his foot is healing.

MishaZip

Moving in
Real Name
Michael
He's feeling as great as he used to. No signs of injury except a little stripe of white healing skin.

BTW i wanted to ask a question in regard of oven. Kesha really likes to spend time just seating on the washing machine. The problem it's really close to the stove. The cage itself is never kept in kitchen and bird is alwys being moved to one of the rooms if we cook something or there are certain chemicals in the air. But is it healthy for parrot to seat near gas oven (even when it's turned off) ? I don't know if it's the right topic for that sort of question. If it's not - please move it to the proper thread.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've had gas stoves and ovens before, as long as the pilot lights were lit we were ok, but my birds weren't near it, always in the other rooms. I'm glad that foot is better.