• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sinuses vs Air sac mites?

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
Has anyone ever had an issue with air sac mites in their conures, green cheek specifically?

My GCC seems to suffer from sinus issues. When the weather starts changing she will get nasally. In my opinion it literally looks and sounds like she is trying to move mucous from the back of her nose/throat, like hocking a loogie when you’ve got postnatal drip. (Sorry for the imagery, but that’s what it’s like.) She’s done this before and never seems sick or unwell. After a day or two it passes and she’s good for months, about the time the seasons change again.

I finally caught a video of her doing it and shared with a friend who is well versed with green cheeks and she wondered if maybe it wasn’t air sac mites. We did some research, but it seems to be most commonly found in finches and canaries. Nevertheless, I sent the video to my veterinarian and we are going to do a course of ivomec for mites. If that doesn’t get us any where, we will consider antibiotics to address any possible underlying infection.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with what I’m describing or air sac mites in general.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
She could have allergies and Dr. O says changes in the weather will bring things on or make the susceptible to illness. Ask your vet if there are any nasal drops you can do when she has a flare. Best thing to do is have your vet flush her nares and then do a gram stain on the flush. Only way to see what is hanging around in there.

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
She could have allergies and Dr. O says changes in the weather will bring things on or make the susceptible to illness. Ask your vet if there are any nasal drops you can do when she has a flare. Best thing to do is have your vet flush her nares and then do a gram stain on the flush. Only way to see what is hanging around in there.
Do you suggest any other tests? Our first round of Ivomec doesn’t seem to be doing much, so mites are probably out. I’m making her a vet appt and want to be prepared. We have never had to do tests on her and this vet is an hour away. I want to be as thorough as possible while we are there, but I don’t want to do a ton of unnecessary testing and stress her out either.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
@Milo since she works with a great vet

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Are you sure she's not just making a strange noise? We need to hear/see it.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I wouldn't give meds without talking to a vet.

It sounds like she's reacting to the changing of the seasons. Does anything else correlate with this? Have you turned on fans or started the furnace? I doubt it's air sac mites, they're really more of a passerine thing. It sounds like a nasal flush is a good idea, not only to get cytology but the flush itself can be therapeutic for them. You can also try a steamy shower and sit with her in a more humid environment a couple times a day and see if that helps her symptoms. Definitely keep a vet appointment scheduled to rule out anything infectious

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
I have a video of what she’s doing on her Instagram if anyone wants to see it. I don’t know how to insert videos here, especially from mobile. Her username is gillythegreencheek and it is the second post from the top.

I can’t correlate anything else with what she’s doing. To me it has always just coincided with the weather. We live in Louisiana so it’s always very humid and winters are very mild.

Her only other possible “symptom” is feather barbering. It started two years ago when we adopted a second, larger conure.

Edit: maybe this link will work - Instagram

Last edited:

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I'd keep an eye for airsac mites anyway.

Once your birds have them its near impossible to get rid of them... it takes years of treatment and they never really go away.
My flock got them a couple of years ago... and every few years we have a reoccurance.

I just had one about... five days ago.
Daffy still isn't doing well from it; he was dosed two days ago after the vet visit and is slowly recooperating.
The vet isn't sure he will make it.

So be extra careful... it does not hurt to be a little paranoid and make a vet visit anyway.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
When researching my book, I found a vet who believes air sac mites are present in every bird, but they only reoccur when birds are stressed. In other words, they live in there all the time ... :(

BUT do work with the vet, don't take any chances with your baby! Are you going to repeat the ivomec? It has to be done twice to get them all.

I don't know if this works with bigger birds?? With finches you can wet their neck and shine a flashlight from the back and see the little ickies in there.

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
I also read air sac mites are present in every bird. Apparently the nymphs cause no issues, but stress triggers maturity, and mature mites cause the problem.

Her next dose of Ivomec is scheduled for tomorrow. I had planned on doing the second dose, but for now I think I will wait until she’s seen and has a gram stain. The vet we are seeing Friday is a bit more experienced with birds than the one who told me to try a course of Ivomec.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
No you can't hold off on the second dose. Reason is you only kill part with the first dose, then you get the (hatchlings or whatever they're called) with the 2nd. If you skip it the cycle starts over.

I'm sorry. That came out wrong. How about, if you are skipping this dose please plan on treating her later? :rofl:

I have Gouldian finches, the worst kind for ASM, so I treat every 3 months regardless.

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
She was diagnosed with sinus infection and given Baytril .06ml twice a day for 14 days.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sounds like there's no reason to give ivermectin! It's probably not a terribly bad infection either, since she acts otherwise healthy. Glad you took her in!

haleybethg

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haley
I was only given antibiotics, no probiotics. I’ve read up a lot about Baytril and seems like I’ve got about a 50/50 chance of her doing well on it. Not sure if I should order benebac on amazon just in case.