1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sinuses vs Air sac mites?

Discussion in 'Conure Court' started by haleybethg, 11/14/17.

1. haleybethg

haleybethg Walking the driveway

Haley
    Has anyone ever had an issue with air sac mites in their conures, green cheek specifically?

My GCC seems to suffer from sinus issues. When the weather starts changing she will get nasally. In my opinion it literally looks and sounds like she is trying to move mucous from the back of her nose/throat, like hocking a loogie when you’ve got postnatal drip. (Sorry for the imagery, but that’s what it’s like.) She’s done this before and never seems sick or unwell. After a day or two it passes and she’s good for months, about the time the seasons change again.

I finally caught a video of her doing it and shared with a friend who is well versed with green cheeks and she wondered if maybe it wasn’t air sac mites. We did some research, but it seems to be most commonly found in finches and canaries. Nevertheless, I sent the video to my veterinarian and we are going to do a course of ivomec for mites. If that doesn’t get us any where, we will consider antibiotics to address any possible underlying infection.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with what I’m describing or air sac mites in general.

2. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
  3. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Chandra
    She could have allergies and Dr. O says changes in the weather will bring things on or make the susceptible to illness. Ask your vet if there are any nasal drops you can do when she has a flare. Best thing to do is have your vet flush her nares and then do a gram stain on the flush. Only way to see what is hanging around in there.

haleybethg and sunnysmom like this.
  4. haleybethg

Haley
    Do you suggest any other tests? Our first round of Ivomec doesn’t seem to be doing much, so mites are probably out. I’m making her a vet appt and want to be prepared. We have never had to do tests on her and this vet is an hour away. I want to be as thorough as possible while we are there, but I don’t want to do a ton of unnecessary testing and stress her out either.

5. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Chandra
    @Milo since she works with a great vet

6. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Are you sure she's not just making a strange noise? We need to hear/see it.

7. Milo

Milo Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS

Jenny
    I wouldn't give meds without talking to a vet.

It sounds like she's reacting to the changing of the seasons. Does anything else correlate with this? Have you turned on fans or started the furnace? I doubt it's air sac mites, they're really more of a passerine thing. It sounds like a nasal flush is a good idea, not only to get cytology but the flush itself can be therapeutic for them. You can also try a steamy shower and sit with her in a more humid environment a couple times a day and see if that helps her symptoms. Definitely keep a vet appointment scheduled to rule out anything infectious

haleybethg likes this.
  8. haleybethg

Haley
    I have a video of what she’s doing on her Instagram if anyone wants to see it. I don’t know how to insert videos here, especially from mobile. Her username is gillythegreencheek and it is the second post from the top.

I can’t correlate anything else with what she’s doing. To me it has always just coincided with the weather. We live in Louisiana so it’s always very humid and winters are very mild.

Her only other possible “symptom” is feather barbering. It started two years ago when we adopted a second, larger conure.

Edit: maybe this link will work - Instagram

Last edited: 11/22/17 at 4:14 PM

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)