• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Single Macaws

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDaddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bob
I have three birds, a BFA, a GW, and my Hy, recently I almost lost my partner due to the frustration he has been feeling with my gang—we've been together 8 years and I feel I am at a point in my life where I need to possibly make some changes. I look at my friends that travel and such and at times I feel land-locked, I want to do more in my life but I am at times afraid to be gone too long. I am considering relocating and that also comes into play as well as me finding a new job.

Does anyone keep a single macaw here? I would never give up my smurf, she is the love of my life and I want to do what is best for her. Maggie wants all my time and she chases my others away when we have playtime and I would love to spend more time with her and not feel so guilty about not doing the same with my others. Like someone said on this board—everything about Hys is big, their personalities, their demands, their love, etc., and I would really love to spend more time with her, possibly teach her clicker-training and such but I also want to make sure she will be okay if she is my single bird. She doesn't interact with the other two, in fact she actually fights with my GW.

I welcome and await your opinions. Thanks!

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
IMO, your obligation to your other birds is no less than your obligation to your hy.

Karighan

Hit the Road
Real Name
Liz
You brought these birds into your home. You may have a favorite, you owe it to the others to love and care for them the same way. If you feel you MUST rehome two of them, remember that you're breaking a promise you made to them. They may have trouble bonding with another person.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I have just scooter, and I intend on keeping that way unless I am willed another large parrot-we are talking anything as big as an african grey and up, I could deal with another little once one of mine passes, not another big. I just personally cannot deal with the cleaning, the one on one, or the food intake :faint: scooter has doubled my food outgoing ratio.

MacDaddie

Real Name
Bob
Forgive me, first of all, if I do this it is not a issue I take lightly and I agree with you about the committment part, but walk a mile in someone's shoes before you judge them. Lives change sometimes beyond our control and we must account for that and offer compassion when people reach out not chastise them or belittle them. I brought this to discussion for insight, not to be beat up, I am doing enough of that to myself already.

Sheesh!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think if your SO has a problem with your birds, keep the fids, dump the SO. He should love you, everything about you, not guilt trip you or make you feel that the birds must go. No SO is worth getting rid of your beloved companions.

Sunnyside

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janice
I don't think Bob deserves a hard time. It is so hard to make a decision to rehome any pets and if he feels he can still give the one a decent home but not the other 2 then I think his decision is admirable. Only he knows what he can handle, not us. And making him feel guilty into keeping the birds could be very bad for all involved. Obviously he will screen anyone who would be interested in them.

Bob, I don't know about the single Macaw happiness. I think each bird is an individual and if she seems ok with not having other birds around she will probably be fine. My Scarlet however wants another Macaw, she longs for another and I can clearly see this. But each bird is different, that is for sure. Good luck in whatever you decide.

MacDaddie

Real Name
Bob
I think if your SO has a problem with your birds, keep the fids, dump the SO. He should love you, everything about you, not guilt trip you or make you feel that the birds must go. No SO is worth getting rid of your beloved companions.
Again... walk in the other persons shoes before making comments. Lives change and sometimes we need to readjust ourselves to move forward. This is not just about my SO, it's about my life and where it's headed and where I need to go with it. My SO is the love of my life, I'm not a kid anymore and when I met him, I knew it was the real thing and we are the perfect gay couple in many ways, and that is not just my opinion, that is the opinion expressed by my friends as well and those who *know* us. If you believe sacrificing a love like that is better than making some changes, well... I wouldn't want to be your SO. Your SO should be your second highest priority, after yourself...it took me years to realize that and at my age it was an epiphany.

When I first came to this board, I was excited, people that shared my passion for birds; what more could anyone ask for?! But, I also realize people are more than their flock and sometimes we need look at our lives and take care of *our* needs so those around us—including our flock will benefit. Sometimes our lives change and we need to be flexible enough to go with those changes in hopes of better things ahead, our goals change and we need to adjust to attain the new goal and bring it within reach. I love my birds more than any of you can realize but I also realize that sometimes you need to do things that aren't so easy to make it better for everyone involved—including the birds.

I really don't feel the need to bare my soul with many of you because you lack the compassion to understand and help someone when they're reaching out and asking for insight. I love aviculture but I am not one of those zealots that will sacrifice my needs, hopes, aspirations, etc., when life throws a curve ball and you need to make some changes...

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You've been through a lot lately. Give yourself alot of time. Give your flock alot of time. Seek the support and help of those who are close to you and love you during this trying time.

What you're feeling right now are JUST feelings. Feelings come and go. Feelings change often and they do pass.

Hopefully they will pass and you'll find a way to make it work so that you are all happy. You and your flock. Be strong.

MacDaddie

Real Name
Bob
I don't think Bob deserves a hard time. It is so hard to make a decision to rehome any pets and if he feels he can still give the one a decent home but not the other 2 then I think his decision is admirable. Only he knows what he can handle, not us. And making him feel guilty into keeping the birds could be very bad for all involved. Obviously he will screen anyone who would be interested in them.

Bob, I don't know about the single Macaw happiness. I think each bird is an individual and if she seems ok with not having other birds around she will probably be fine. My Scarlet however wants another Macaw, she longs for another and I can clearly see this. But each bird is different, that is for sure. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Thank you, you're a breath of fresh air here and I honestly appreciate it. ;) I am not taking this decision lightly, it is killing me but I know the circumstances in my life and I am trying to do what is best for everyone. I am seriously considering rehoming only one at this time, my BFA, to a great friend of mine that will give him a wonderful home and if it doesn't work out, he would come back. I honestly don't want to add another macaw into the current epidemic of birds in need of a good home but is it fair to keep a bird only because the one needs another?

When you have a bird with as strong of a personality and character as my smurf, I feel guilty about my GW because she deserves more attention but a person can only spread themselves so far. I admire those who have multiple birds, they have my respect, but as I have emphasized, walk a mile in your brothers shoes before you pass judgement. I have been out of work for two years (okay all you *nice* people, call me a loser, dead-beat, etc. and kick me some more!)and now I have two viable prospects that would require my attention and therefore taking more time away from my flock. I am also seriously considering getting out of Illinois...

Oh... by the way, my SO left the state to help his best friend who is dying of AIDS... yeah... Mercedez, he's a real effing dirtbag isn't he!?! Don't pass judgement until you know all the facts, I didn't feel the need to share that but maybe now you'll understand his character.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
No, it does no one any good to guilt someone into keeping their companion animals, but this is one of those cases to point to when trying to emphasize to a prospective bird owner the need to carefully think through the long term commitment one is making when buying or adopting a bird. Lives change - all of ours do, and sometimes one feels too tied down, one's options too limited, the sacrifices too great because of the animals for whom one is responsible. I would suspect that parents often feel the same - the difference is that it's not societally or legally acceptable to surrender or rehome one's children, and bigger parrots are a commitment for the rest of one's life, not just for eighteen years.

Yes, sometimes there's no way to make things work - major health issues, financial catastrophe that make it impossible to continue to care for one's companions. Short of that, though, I think one should be very cognizant of the ups and downs of life when one assumes the responsibility for another life, especially if one is causing that life to be brought into the world i.e., one is buying a bird or other animal and thereby increasing the market for breeding.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Unfortunately I can't really offer any answers to the question asked about keeping single macaws, but I just wanted to say that I understand and see where you're coming from and think that it sounds like a very tough situation. Rehoming is an incredibly hard decision and I am sure that somebody like you, who has poured so much love and dedication into their birds, would not take it lightly at all. I hope you are able to make a decision that is good for all of you-- you, your S.O., and your whole flock-- and remain happy together.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bob, I'm with Janis on this one. The reaction you are getting from some, might have something to do with a ex-member recently cycling thru birds like they were underwear :(
Take your time and do what you feel is right for you. :hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Bob I think you need to reread your first post and mine. I was not judging you or saying anything truly bad. Many people try and make their SO happy by rehoming their animals and in the end they learn that was a huge mistake. I'm not at all judging you or your SO just throwing in something I see too often. He is upset about your gang, he is frustrated, it sounds from the first paragraph you want to do everything to make it work make HIM happy. And your second paragraph was excuses as to why the rehoming of two of your fids is justified. Reread your first post. None of us are responding to you in any judgmental way, or being rude or anything.

Only you truly know your own circumstances, but know your situation is also not unique and is seen all the time :( :hug8: Goodluck to you and your birds and your relationship with your SO :hug8:

And personally for ME, my birds are MY LIFE, if I choose to fall in love with somebody, they will be someone who appreciates all aspects of me and doesn't expect me to change or change for them.

Last edited:

MacDaddie

Real Name
Bob
No, it does no one any good to guilt someone into keeping their companion animals, but this is one of those cases to point to when trying to emphasize to a prospective bird owner the need to carefully think through the long term commitment one is making when buying or adopting a bird.
Do you know me?! Do you know my life?! I have been around birds my entire life and I ain't a spring chicken! I never took the responsibility of bird ownership lightly and never will. I also have trust funds for my birds... Yeah...I am a real bad bird owner aren't I!?!!

What a bunch of water walkers we have here!!! My oh effing my!!! I really wish I never posted my original post, some of you actually sicken me with your lack of compassion towards your fellow man... Ohhhhhhh wait!!! There's a puppy that looks depressed!! Lets go kick it!!! Yeah... that sounds like fun doesn't it!!!? I wish I was beyond reproach like some of you believe, must be real nice to live a perfect life and be able to judge others so easily... You know what say say about opinions.. they're like a**holes, everyone has one and some stink really bad...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Bob, I think you are overreacting :( Sometimes when one is upset, which I've been there here on the board so I understand, one is better taking a moment away to calm down and come back when you can understand someone's post without getting defensive or angry.

MacDaddie

Real Name
Bob
Bob, I think you are overreacting :(
Mercedez,

Perhaps, perhaps not... I would give my arm for my flock and it is really killing me thinking about this but I know what is on my plate and it's the poo poo platter right now. I need more time to think this out and believe me, after this incident, I won't be discussing it here!

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Forgive me, first of all, if I do this it is not a issue I take lightly and I agree with you about the committment part, but walk a mile in someone's shoes before you judge them. Lives change sometimes beyond our control and we must account for that and offer compassion when people reach out not chastise them or belittle them. I brought this to discussion for insight, not to be beat up, I am doing enough of that to myself already.

Sheesh!
Bob, I agree with you. And I have walked in your shoes. A year ago, I had to make some tough, life-changing decisions. Our 6 birds - a GW (a macaw I hand raised from 2 weeks old), CAG, YNA, Eclectus, Hahns and Moustache parakeet were all re-homed and now live an hour from us.
The reasons this happened are personal/private.

I personally find your questions valid and thought provoking- our lives can change, much to our despair.
My advice is simply this: be very careful in any decisions you make. It's you that has to live with the out-come.

Aside from that...we know many people that have single macaws. In particular, GW's and Hy's.
We have yet to hear any negatives about life with a single macaw.
One person I know has had her single Hy for over 20 years.

Good luck to you, no matter what your decisions are.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Unfortunately I can't really offer any answers to the question asked about keeping single macaws, but I just wanted to say that I understand and see where you're coming from and think that it sounds like a very tough situation. Rehoming is an incredibly hard decision and I am sure that somebody like you, who has poured so much love and dedication into their birds, would not take it lightly at all. I hope you are able to make a decision that is good for all of you-- you, your S.O., and your whole flock-- and remain happy together.
What a wonderful, compassionate response!

hannahbird

Real Name
Hannah
:hug8:
Rehoming is a very hard decision and if thats what is best for your flock then thats your business and no one else's. Bless your heart:heart: I wish you good luck with whatever decision you make.

And a lot of people have single macaws, me included. I know I am new to macaw ownership but I dont see any problems with keeping a single macaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.