• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Single conures or more than one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peapod74

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I see a lot of people have multiple birds. I have one male ysgcc who's 1.5 year old now. He's funny and lively and loves to curl up in our hair on our shoulders. He's great, but sometimes my mind wanders... Since in the wild birds live in flocks, is it hard on them to live singly in captivity? And if they are flock creatures, why do people sometimes have trouble introducing more than one so much that they need separate cages for life? For those with multiples, how does it change your human relationship with the bird? And how often does a pairing work where the two could be kept together? Do you think birds need a bird friend for happiness? Or is lots of human attention enough?

Cocochick

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tammy
My advice to anyone thinking about getting a second bird is to do it because YOU want a second bird, not because you think your bird needs a friend. There are many single birds who live their lives happily with their human flock. In a perfect world, your new bird and your existing bird would fall in love and live happily ever after, but in a real world, it's a crap shoot. If you want another bird, plan to have two cages, and if they end up being able to live together, so much the better! As far as influencing the human connection, usually it doesn't. I have three pyrrhura conures who love each other, but as soon as I leave the room, they all come looking for me. They hang out together and preen each other, and eat together, but they still love human interaction.

All that said, I am getting a new sun and I am hoping that (s)he and Calliope will fall in love, but what I'm honestly expecting is that they will tolerate each other at best. My guess is that the baby will probably get along with the other babies I have better, since they are less set in their ways than Calliope is.

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I sometimes miss the fact that I could drag around two little conures everywhere. Happy and Chya were only birdies for awhile (other than the fosters on occasion). I do think a single bird with toys, stimulation, plenty of out time can do well. And remember a flock consists of humans too.

There are several situations which may or may not prompt them sharing a cage or not sharing a cage. Obviously dislike is one reason to not share a cage. Most often I would recommend each have their own cages unless a situation arises such as plucking or other signs that they want to be together.

I recently removed the divider between Rocco and Jewel because he started picking his leg feathers and was shredding the paper closest to her side. Just little signs that perhaps they might be happier sharing. Rocco thinks he is a person and like Giggie would prefer to be roaming with humans. He does love his little Jewel now. Jewel seems to have blossomed being with Rocco and developing a sense of self. I can't explain it. She is flock oriented but loves human attention as well. I think Rocco has given her the boost of confidence she needed.

Giggie and Carlton sharing was an attempt to get Giggie to stop plucking but it worked wonders for Carlton's fear issues...not so much for Giggie's plucking. I honestly think Giggie would love to be a single bird with all the world only giving her attention. Happy and Chya used to share a cage but Chya laid too many eggs and would get sick so I placed them side by side and they seemed to do well without eggs. My bond with Happy and Chya is still the strongest out of the pairs I think because they were my only two for so long and I did hand feed Chya when she was little. Giggie loves anyone that will love her. Carlton prefers me and others to be at a distance but he never has really bonded well to a human before he came here.

Kari is now bonded with Happy and has less to do with me but she really prefers men anyway. She tolerates me and enjoys dancing and singing but never really was a cuddlebug. She often butts in on my Happy time though as she does not like sharing him with anyone...bird or human. This has helped with Chya and Happy nesting. They sneak in the occasional loving but not as often. Funny that this hasn't seemed to bother her or Happy. Perhaps the intrusion has just been so gradual...

Zephyr is just Zephyr. If he wasn't such an outgoing-in-your-face bird, he might have more friends. He does want to hook up with Jewel and will pace sometimes. He will sit quietly next to her until she pulls his head feathers out. :eek:

My male greenies have dominance issues and non of them want the others in their area. Rocco and Carlton do not go out of their way to get into the others area but Zephyr bothers everyone so he has to kept apart from them. And for some reason Rocco and Zephyr got along for a couple of weeks and then that was it. I think Rocco realized he made a mistake in befriending Z and had enough of his crazy antics. If they have no divider between them, the war begins.

Peapod74

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
There are many single birds who live their lives happily with their human flock.
I guess this is my biggest concern. I'm not eager to sign up for the added expense and space needs of a second bird right now, I like our life as it is. But I worry that I'm somehow depriving Perry of his flock. There's got to be something special about two birds communicating in their own bird way.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Your conure will be happy without another bird. They tend to get very jealous.

Cephus

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Brian
I don't know, my conure thinks he's a cockatiel because he spends so much time hanging out with my two daughters' birds. He spends a lot of time "speaking" cockatiel. He also meows. You'd be amazed how adaptable a bird can be, whether you have another bird in the house or not, they'll make it work and be happy with it.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
It's a hard question to answer.

In the wild they have a ton of birds so they can choose their friends/mates, much as we like to. So just bringing in another is no guarantee they will be friends. That would be like your parents doing an arranged marriage for you. You might be accepting of that or you might be very upset.

Our hand raised birds are often VERY human bonded. For better or wore they think they are humans, too, or they think we are birds...hard to say which one.

I got a second conure because I wanted one and hoped Rowdy would become friends with her. They did eventually become friends but it took 2 years. The first 2 years there was a lot of jealousy on Rowdy's part and I thought she would hurt Briana if she got the chance. Now more than a decade later Rowdy does want other birds around, and she is currently friends with my amazon. I suspect though if they both disappeared the Grey wouldn't mind in the least.

Cocochick

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tammy
I think that if you are happy with your life the way it is, leave it alone. As long as your baby is happy and healthy, then he is fine without another bird. It sounds like you give him adequate attention. There are times when I wish I had a single bird to devote all of my time to. Then there are times when I am glad that they have each other to entertain one another. The grass is always greener--and you can always add another bird down the road is you wish to. Just wait until you are ready.

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
The more pets you have the more difficult it is to ask someone to watch your them. Also, there is no guarantee they will bond. Enjoy your little one and have lots of loving time with it. This is just my opinion. Others may give different replays. Only you know what the end result will be. Best of luck.

CountryChick

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cynthia
Mango is 17 months old. I've had him for a year. I'm excited to be expecting #2 soon BUT I understand they may not be BFF's. I'm not sure of what I'm getting myself into but looking forward to it nonetheless!! Don't get another just for Perry. I wouldn't get a second dog to keep Tinkerbell happy... just sayin. Wait it out.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
What a great thread. I have thought also from time to time about getting "her" a friend. But I actually have never DNAd her. Would that be advisable before adding another conure so you knew what you were dealing with. I know I don't want eggs, but it seems like it might be nice to have 2. Would two girls work out if I determine my current GCC is female?

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
What a great thread. I have thought also from time to time about getting "her" a friend. But I actually have never DNAd her. Would that be advisable before adding another conure so you knew what you were dealing with. I know I don't want eggs, but it seems like it might be nice to have 2. Would two girls work out if I determine my current GCC is female?
There is no guarantee that they will get along, whether it is 2 females, 2 males, a male and female, it depends on them. I have two female GCCs who don’t get along at all, Taji would shred Leila to bits if she had the chance, but with that said, I think they still benefit from having the same species as company, even though they can’t stand each other (it is mainly Taji who because she is aggressive towards other birds). I also did have a male and female pair of GCCs who got along wonderfully, they stuck to each other like glue.

unicornlady7

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Christa
I love my boys! They love me to bits and love to spend time with each other as well. I guess I got lucky that they get along so well. I hope they get along with the new kid on the block after quarintine.. But if not, I'm ok with that too. The only birds I didn't get for myself were the cockatiels - they were a last minute rescue from a relative.. I'm fortunate in not having to worry about bird sitters - they go with us :) They really enjoy camping! If I was going somewhere they couldn't go, my Mom would watch them at her house. If any of this was an issue, it would be a different story. Because I know Aristotle is a male through DNA, I only wanted boys after that. No eggs to worry about possibly hatching! Merlin's breeder DNA'd her babies and the newbie is sex-linked, so no DNA is required.
Honestly if Aristotle had remained an conure (already had the 'tiels) - I think he would have been fine with that as well.:)

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
There is no guarantee that they will get along, whether it is 2 females, 2 males, a male and female, it depends on them. I have two female GCCs who don’t get along at all, Taji would shred Leila to bits if she had the chance, but with that said, I think they still benefit from having the same species as company, even though they can’t stand each other (it is mainly Taji who because she is aggressive towards other birds). I also did have a male and female pair of GCCs who got along wonderfully, they stuck to each other like glue.
Thats what I was afraid of. Well, worst case scenario separate cages and separate out times. I do that with my current flock of 2, since the GCC totally terrorizes the grey. I think it's an age thing.

Cocochick

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tammy
Thats what I was afraid of. Well, worst case scenario separate cages and separate out times. I do that with my current flock of 2, since the GCC totally terrorizes the grey. I think it's an age thing.
Ha! I think it's probably a GCC thing, lol. My three pyrrhura conures (two males and one female) get along perfectly, and my sun conure tolerates the boys, but she and the female GCC despise each other and cannot be near one another. Even if your two birds can't interact with each other, they can talk to each other. But ultimately, the decision to get a second bird should be based on the desire for a second bird.

Tay05

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kaleigh
I have 4 conures in total. Only my two DNAed males get along. But only with each other. They HATE everyone else. And everyone else hates everyone else (if that makes any sense lol!) With 4 of them it definitely makes for a loud house. And a lot of jealousy....

Status
Not open for further replies.