• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Silent birds

Avian Adrienne

Moving in
I have an injured grackle (pics and story posted in the "Softbill" forum) and I've consulted over the phone with several vet clinics. The bird has not made a single sound in over a week (since I've had it).

I've been told any of the following are possible:

a) The bird is deaf (which isn't true because it responds to my voice, a bell, and click noises).
b) The bird has had a stroke, which took away its ability to "speak" (possible)
c) The bird has brain damage from hail and cannot speak (also possible)

Are there any other explanations? Has anyone here ever had a bird that couldn't or didn't make noises?

The bird in question is otherwise alert, playful, and inquisitive. But it also can't fly right or stand on a perch (which makes me think the stroke explanation is more likely).

Just curious...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My tiel had a stroke this summer. His wing drooped and wasn't able to fly. He was still vocal though. The vet said that at least with cockatiels that they tend to recover pretty quickly from strokes and he was pretty much back to his normal self, and flying, within the week. Not sure if it's the same with grackles.

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
When I brought my previous lovebird home (10 week old baby), he did not make a single sound for about a week. We also thought he might not be able to vocalize or is deaf.
But then he started with low chirps and eventually was such a blabbermouth that he's nickname was "preacher"! :)

Your bird might still be figuring out what has happened to him, and birds in the nature keep quiet when they sense the danger.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The more I think about it, I'm thinkin head or spinal injury, but then I'm guessing. Both will heal in time. Your doing a great job....you saved his life. It'll take a month or more for him to heal, which he will....keep doing what your doing!:hug8: