• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sick tiel

lichphanto

Sitting on the front steps
Hello , I have two tiels , on wednesday the pearl tiel got suddenly sick ,she was throwing up the seeds when she eats and even throw up the water , it was holiday in that day and no vet available but I called someone and he told me to give her cider vinegar to let her feel a bit better but she didn't eat at all the whole day and looked really tired and sick , and the poop was watery green .

on thursday I took her to the vet , in my country there isn't vet that understand birds very well since they focus on just cats and dogs but this vet understand in chickens and told me she can have a look at her ,she suspected that something is blocking the food in her throat , she said there is a medicine called citrocuivre but it's only available in big quantities and she will try to get me some and meanwhile she gave me some antibiotics to mix it in the water and give it to her ( she told me that I can also give it to the second grey tiel since it won't be good idea to seperate them and since they drink from same place he will take the medicine too )

in that night after she drank the medicine she felt a little better and finally started to eat a little , the next day she was eating more too but her poop remained the same and she was still tired and sleepy ,but yesterday I noticed that there are seeds in her poop it was very unusual , I called the vet and she told me that she might not digesting the food well and told me to buy from other place and just continue with the medicine, I bought their food from other place ( different manufacture but the same mix seeds ) but today she is still pooping seeds and she still looks really tired , it's true she is eating more now but if there is seeds in her poop It makes me think that it's like she is not eating

what should I do now ? is the seeds in her poop very much concerning in that case ? it seems like the vet couldn't do anything about it she just told me to wait and since she wasn't professional she probably won't be able to help much , but I don't know what to do since it's heartbreaking to see her pooping seeds like that and being sleepy all the time . any help about this ?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Would the vet you used be willing to consult via internet or phone with another vet who is more experienced with birds?

Birds passing undigested seed is not something we ever want to see as it means something is wrong with your little one.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope you're tiel feels better. Was the vet able to do any tests?

lichphanto

Would the vet you used be willing to consult via internet or phone with another vet who is more experienced with birds?

Birds passing undigested seed is not something we ever want to see as it means something is wrong with your little one.
she said she doesn't know any vet that is more experienced with birds because in my country there are not vets that have experience with birds and I don't think she will be willing to consult via internet with vets from other countries ... I know this is not something good , although her poop got better today ( it looks more as normal but with like 3 or 4 seeds in it ) but she is still really tired and I just feel helpless about this

lichphanto

I hope you're tiel feels better. Was the vet able to do any tests?
she can't do any tests as she probably don't know how to do them since she is not specialized in birds she just told me to wait and the vitamins would help ( one of the medicines was vitamins ) she is drinking and eating normally now , but as I mentioned she is still pooping with seeds ( but looks better than yesterday and fewered seeds in poop ) and she is very tired all day

lichphanto

is there any chance that this could be a side effect from the medicines ? she pooped with seeds only when I started with her the medicines although it was what made her return to go eat in the first place but I suspected maybe it made her having some difficulty to digest the food