• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sick quaker, what can I do right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Should I add a little garlic to his handfeeding formula just in case it is yeast? or GSE? I have both GSE and garlic powder, would it hurt?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Deb I know when I was giving Tequila the antibiotics Gary told me not to use the GSE. I dont think I would. The garlic I wonder if that would be upsetting to his stomach? Do you have any unfiltered apple cider vinegar?

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, Good advice above, some meds are better given with food. You can add the ACV to his drinking water or mix a few drop in the hand feeding formula. I would not stop the meds if you can find a way to may them work, just before food or after food. You may need to experiment. Do a google search for the meds and you might see whether it is to be given with food or not. Please keep him warm and hydrated.

gary

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Deb I know when I was giving Tequila the antibiotics Gary told me not to use the GSE. I dont think I would. The garlic I wonder if that would be upsetting to his stomach? Do you have any unfiltered apple cider vinegar?
------------------------------------------

Yes...no GSE. The garlic powder should be fine.
Some info on it:

Garlic: (Allium Sativum) Garlic contains Vitamins A, B, C, and E, selenium. These vitamins also act as a stimuli to the immune system. Garlic supports the natural intestinal flora which helps to inhibit yeast and bacterial growth. It is the sulphur constituents, such as allicin and ajoene, that contribute to garlic's antibiotic properties. When combined with conventional medications it supports their actions, yet protects the liver from harmful side effects. This is especially beneficial when treating for respiratory and digestive infections.

And Ginger:
Ginger: (Zingiber Officinale)In addition to the soothing effect of an upset crop (nausea) and digestive tract ginger also alleviates stress and has an invigorating effect to the body. Ginger has some antibiotic properties, and the antiseptic properties help to protect against infection. It helps alleviate gas in the crop, and also tends to lower fever.

My thoughts and experiences in regatrds to GSE:
Preventative Treatments - Just Cockatiels!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Would the med make him regurgitate when he is trying to eat?
----------------------

I went back thru your posting. it sounds like he's been on the meds for almost a week (???) If so, if no probiotics or an antifungal were used it could have generated a secondary yeast infection. Yeast building up in the crop will also contribute to some regurtitation.

If you feel he injested something like a hair or wood chips, etc, gently feel his crop to see if you can feel anything.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
No, I don't have any ACV. :( I wish I knew if the garlic would bother him. I read on holistic bird dot org it can be good for several things, including yeast if that's an issue with him.

Hi, Good advice above, some meds are better given with food. You can add the ACV to his drinking water or mix a few drop in the hand feeding formula. I would not stop the meds if you can find a way to may them work, just before food or after food. You may need to experiment. Do a google search for the meds and you might see whether it is to be given with food or not. Please keep him warm and hydrated.

gary
\

He is warm and griding his beak still. I read that the sulfa can cause lack of appetite, nausea and diarrhea. His droppings are loose but that could be from the formula. I'll give him formula tonight before the med and see if that works better.

------------------------------------------

Yes...no GSE. The garlic powder should be fine.
Some info on it:

Garlic: (Allium Sativum) Garlic contains Vitamins A, B, C, and E, selenium. These vitamins also act as a stimuli to the immune system. Garlic supports the natural intestinal flora which helps to inhibit yeast and bacterial growth. It is the sulphur constituents, such as allicin and ajoene, that contribute to garlic's antibiotic properties. When combined with conventional medications it supports their actions, yet protects the liver from harmful side effects. This is especially beneficial when treating for respiratory and digestive infections.

And Ginger:
Ginger: (Zingiber Officinale)In addition to the soothing effect of an upset crop (nausea) and digestive tract ginger also alleviates stress and has an invigorating effect to the body. Ginger has some antibiotic properties, and the antiseptic properties help to protect against infection. It helps alleviate gas in the crop, and also tends to lower fever.

My thoughts and experiences in regatrds to GSE:
Preventative Treatments - Just Cockatiels!

I have garlic powder, how much should I put in his formula? I wish I had ginger. I'm going to get these things for future use.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Would the med make him regurgitate when he is trying to eat?
----------------------

I went back thru your posting. it sounds like he's been on the meds for almost a week (???) If so, if no probiotics or an antifungal were used it could have generated a secondary yeast infection. Yeast building up in the crop will also contribute to some regurtitation.

If you feel he injested something like a hair or wood chips, etc, gently feel his crop to see if you can feel anything.
Yes, almost a week, skipping a couple of days. I've felt his crop and can't feel anything. I'm afraid to push too hard, I'm afraid he'll vomit. Would the garlic help a lot if it is secondary yeast?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Just a quick shake. Or if you have a Mc Donalds coffee stirrer (they have plastic paddles on the end) just a little bit on the end of the paddle at every feeding.

Ok...if the dropping are loose you might want to use eletrolytes to mix the formula, and also in the water dish. if you don't have any on hand you can mix up some.

Home Made Lactated Ringers
Electrolyte solution for re-hydration

Mix the following in a jar:

8 oz. of warm water

½ Tablespoon of sugar

1/8 teaspoon of salt

1/8 teaspoon of baking soda

Still well, and refrigerate. This solution is good for 2-3 days when mixed.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Just a quick shake. Or if you have a Mc Donalds coffee stirrer (they have plastic paddles on the end) just a little bit on the end of the paddle at every feeding.

Ok...if the dropping are loose you might want to use eletrolytes to mix the formula, and also in the water dish. if you don't have any on hand you can mix up some.

Home Made Lactated Ringers
Electrolyte solution for re-hydration

Mix the following in a jar:

8 oz. of warm water

½ Tablespoon of sugar

1/8 teaspoon of salt

1/8 teaspoon of baking soda

Still well, and refrigerate. This solution is good for 2-3 days when mixed.

Thanks Susanne, I'll mix some up.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Would the garlic help a lot if it is secondary yeast?
-------------------------------

Yes the garlic, AND adding some probiotics or yogurt. If you have cinnamon in the kitchen cabinet it might be benefical to add a little too.

Cinnamon: (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum) This herb/spice works in tandem with ginger and garlic. It acts as a strengthening and supportive herb for weak digestion. It also is a warming herb when the body feels chilled by stimulating circulation. It is mildly astringent which is beneficial when there is diarrhea or loose watery droppings, nausea, and vomiting.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Susanne, just a quick shake of the garlic in the formula?

Yes...I hope he start to feel better soon. It is so frustrating when things happen on week-ends, holidays, etc.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Would the garlic help a lot if it is secondary yeast?

Yes the garlic, AND adding some probiotics or yogurt. If you have cinnamon in the kitchen cabinet it might be benefical to add a little too.

Cinnamon: (Cinnamomum Zeylanicum) This herb/spice works in tandem with ginger and garlic. It acts as a strengthening and supportive herb for weak digestion. It also is a warming herb when the body feels chilled by stimulating circulation. It is mildly astringent which is beneficial when there is diarrhea or loose watery droppings, nausea, and vomiting.

Ok, I have garlic and probiotics. I'll mix that with his formula. Hopefully something will be open tomorrow and I can get some cinnamon.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
OK Deb, you need to stop crying - that isn't helping you or your bird. Do you remember what your vet said is wrong with Buddy. What type of infection?

Yes it very well could be the Tmp antibiotic that is making him regurgitate. Hank is not at all tolerant to any of the sulfas. Buddy needs it though, so maybe you can dilute it with something sweet (I use Pina Colada mix) And medicate him about 1/2 hr after you feed him.

Beyond that, do all of the standard supportive care such as keeping him warm (85-87f) and hydrated and quiet. Try to get him to eat from a spoon and try to get some handfeeding formula or oatmeal or Cream of wheat down him. Get plain pedialydte and give him 50/50 with water. Let him rest and be calm between medications and feeding.
ML
ML, there was no diagnosis since it was over the phone and I was only able to tell my vet his symptoms since the snow storm was moving in. We got about 2 inches per hour. And he is about an hour from here. I wish I knew what was wrong with him. :(

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Also, since he's having such a hard time eating seed right now, how many CC's how many times per day can an adult quaker have? I don't want to over feed him but I want him to get enough.

Thanks

God, what would we do without this forum?

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, would you have any coconut oil it is good for yeast also.

gary

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thank you for the good information Susanne. Deb when Tequila was first sick his appetite was off and people told me to try and get some probiotics into his system. Just like when we dont feel good, we dont want to eat. As long as you are handfeeding him , he is getting his nutrition.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Hi, would you have any coconut oil it is good for yeast also.

gary
No, I don't. And everything is closed. He is eating now and not bobbing his head or acting like he is going to regurgitate. I'm thinking it is the Sulfa that is making him do that. I'm hoping and praying he will be fine until he can see a vet. Please little Boy, keep eating.

Thank you for the good information Susanne. Deb when Tequila was first sick his appetite was off and people told me to try and get some probiotics into his system. Just like when we dont feel good, we dont want to eat. As long as you are handfeeding him , he is getting his nutrition.
I'm so glad quakers are so easy to hand feed. That helps a lot. I'll add some probiotics to his formula tonight. Does anyone know how much? I guess it's hard to guage when he is eating some on his own. I don't want to over fill him. This is just as hard as when an infant is sick and they can't tell you what's wrong. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.