• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent sick new cockatiel?? help

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It means he needs to be checked by the vet. The vinegar water will not fix anything but it will support his gut bacteria some. Please do not mistake this little pep up you see for your your bird being fixed. If he was dehydrated then coating his food with vinegar water would not have sorted that out either.
Birds hide their weakness and illness or they die - they always pretend they are healthy if they can muster the energy to do so as it is instinctually ingrained into them.
Although it is great he is acting a little better right now, if he had/ has smelling poop with seeds in it and has been fluffed up and lethargic then he seriously needs proper vet care.

animalover

Jogging around the block
It means he needs to be checked by the vet. The vinegar water will not fix anything but it will support his gut bacteria some. Please do not mistake this little pep up you see for your your bird being fixed. If he was dehydrated then coating his food with vinegar water would not have sorted that out either.
Birds hide their weakness and illness or they die - they always pretend they are healthy if they can muster the energy to do so as it is instinctually ingrained into them.
Although it is great he is acting a little better right now, if he had/ has smelling poop with seeds in it and has been fluffed up and lethargic then he seriously needs proper vet care.
hi sorry it didnt let me edit it earlier for some reason and I was too busy watching him, but I was gonna mention that I am still taking him to the vet tho, im not depending on the vinegar to make him better, but im just happy seeing him finally a bit better.

animalover

Jogging around the block
more good news guys!! hes finally sleeping on one leg again!! also hes flying more often! but he is still very much scared of hands and would only touch my hand for seeds, he only eats seeds and asks for them all the time, but I only give it to him by hand so he knows how to get my attention, I did try to feed him more pellets but this time I crushed the pellets and mixed it with water, but he didn't even touch that, but the first time we just coated his pellets with water he ate it, so maybe ill try that again tomorrow! but if I don't put the seeds in his cage, he'll just eat his poop, and I don't mean like one or two poops, like all the poops! idk if an excessive amount could cause problems, but hopefully the vet would give us something to help him digest his seeds, also he makes this weird noise when any hands are close to him, its not like a hissing sound, more like a sound coming from his throat, like a raspy noise, like the sound of a hamster screaming is the closest thing I could describe it as? is this a normal sound for scared parrots or could it be because its sick, but as soon as no ones near him he starts chirping again, doesn't make that sound unless someones close to him.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
He’s a small bird who should have food available to him all the time. Is there a particular reason you are not leaving him access to a fresh food supply of seed and pellet all the time?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
The raspy noise sounds like he is hungry or wanting comfort. I’m confused on how you are feeding him. He should have food that he will eat available all day long. If that’s mostly seeds right now that’s fine. When he is better, then you slowly transition him to some pellets until he is eating about half pellets and half seed. He could even eat more seeds than pellets since sometimes pellets can be hard on their kidneys. In addition to this, he should also eat a variety of fresh food, but all this takes time and patience.

animalover

Jogging around the block
The raspy noise sounds like he is hungry or wanting comfort. I’m confused on how you are feeding him. He should have food that he will eat available all day long. If that’s mostly seeds right now that’s fine. When he is better, then you slowly transition him to some pellets until he is eating about half pellets and half seed. He could even eat more seeds than pellets since sometimes pellets can be hard on their kidneys. In addition to this, he should also eat a variety of fresh food, but all this takes time and patience.
yes I do have some food for him in the cage, I put half pellets half seeds, but he finishes the seeds in less than 3 minutes, I do try to refill it as much as I can, but he can go through 8 tablespoons of seeds a day? so I don't really want to cause him other health problems, but I do give him half a cup of seeds and half a cup of pellets in his cage, also when he finishes it I still feed him more when he wants to, I search online and it says its 2 tablespoons of seeds max, so idk what I should do? thank you for the advice tho I will start keeping him more food, but the raspy voice thing, I'm pretty sure he wants comfort, because he also does that when there is still seeds in the cage, but I cant give him comfort as he wont let me. I feel so bad for him, but I hope I can help him as much as I can, can you guys please give me advice on what I should do? you guys know way more than I do, and I want to do the right thing.