• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick Macaw need info

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's been awhile since I've been here. My B&G Macaw is sick. Some info.....long....

Female B&G Macaw. Her name is JaJaBinks. Hatch date January 22, 1999. I got her when she was 2 years & 1 week old. Previous owners abused her. She doesn't like men & won't let anyone but me pet/handle her.

I was down sick, in hospital 4 times this year for H1N1 flu, bronchitis & chronic GERD/LPR/COPD issues. I have numerous health issues, hence the delay getting her to the vet sooner.

JaJaBinks always lays 1-2 eggs between Xmas & New Years give or take. I thought she seemed a bit chubby in the breast at that time, but didn't think it was much of an issue due to it being egg laying time. Starting in late January she started having wet poops. She was napping during the day, not being as vocal & not eating as much. She lost some weight in her breast. She was doing a lot of regurging. She feeds her feet & toys a lot. Then later she was doing some vomiting. Her poops were very wet, not much urates, green/yellow urine. She is in perfect feather. I finally got her to the bird vet (50 miles away) in May. Vet was afraid of her & didn't even want to do an exam. Note there are no BCAV here. Vet thought she had PDD, without doing an exam or blood work, & I said should take her to a BCAV in Philly. Told him that was not possible. I had to convince him to do an exam & blood work. I held her while he did the quick exam & a tech & I held her down while he drew blood. He was terrible at that. This guy was supposed to be the go to vet for birds. NOT! He put her on a round of Enrofloxacin & Metacam. He would not do x-rays unless I let him put her under, which I refused. Labs showed possible liver issues. He told me to monitor her weight, which I did. She held weight. She got better for awhile, then reverted back. I put her on Milk Thistle/Dandelion. She got better, then reverted again. Took her to a different bird vet (exotic-avian vet also 50 miles away) 2 weeks ago. Vet did a thorough exam, blood work & x-rays. Sadly the x-rays didn't turn out, they did them twice, because she kept kicking her leg around. Vet said she thought something looked enlarged, but couldn't really tell. Labs show kidney issues. Vet told me to put her on a low protein diet & to give her flax seed oil/corn oil. I'm to take her back in 6-8 weeks for retesting & x-rays. Her poops are still wet, but there are more urates now, but not really normal. She's eating well & acting more normal.

I also got Lily of the Dessert Aloe Detox to give her.

My question is how much do you give each day & how long to you keep them on the aloe detox?

I made chop, which she isn't crazy about. She loves mashed sweet potatoes, so she is getting them every night with the flax seed oil/corn oil mixed in, and some fresh fruit. She's eating Zupreem Natural pellets & seed mix.

I'd appreciate any info & suggestions.

TIA

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have no faith in Aloe Detox, but to each his own. Here is an easily understandable article from VCA. You probably should have additional diagnostic tests done on your girl to determine the specific disease.

Kidney Disorders in Birds | VCA Animal Hospital

Good luck and ask question and keep us updated.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well that paints a poor picture of pellets...dry, & higher protein...Too much vit D3...

feed them fat to help dissipate it...gosh all the things we are so afraid of..

Hope you find a vet to correctly diagnose & set the bird back to good health...

Too little...too much...

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like the most helpful thing at this point would be to ensure xrays turn out even if that requires sedation. I understand not wanting that at the first vet, but why not at the second?