• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick Conure

Bill Wright

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bill Wright
Noticed that one of my birds is not feeling well tonight. Notice he or she is acting lethargic, will not eat, sleepy. Noticed when I had the bird on my arm, he or she's feet seemed much colder. Any ideas?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you feel your bird is ill then best thing to do is take him/her to the vet. Would be a good idea to keep your bird warm (not too hot, though) by covering the cage on 3 sides. You need to make sure your bird is drinking.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Try using a heating pad or hot water bottle (covered with a towel) under her to keep her warm. I have a brother-in-law going your way on holiday next week, depending on where they are going and where you are I could send stuff to you.

Also keep her hydrated, even if it's by giving her eye-droppers of water. I think other members have recommended adding Karo syrup or giving Pedialyte (infant hydration formula). PM me if you need anything sent.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Heating pad and fresh water and trip to the vet.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It probably isn't that easy to find a vet, let alone an avian vet, depending on where you live in Costa Rica.

Bill Wright

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bill Wright
Thanks for all the replies. Went back out to their cage before dark and he or she was drinking water, which was a great improvement from early today..............will see how they feel in the morning. It is true that it is very hard to find a vet where we live.........We just pray that Alice will be fine in the morning.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you use a heating pad place it under 1/2 of the cage.
It's good that you saw her drinking. Are there any special treats she likes that you might be able to get her to eat?