• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick Cockatiel:(

birds10101

Moving in
Real Name
Ciara Kennedy
Hey, not sure if anyone will see this but my 1year old cockatiel sebastian woke up this morning extremely lethargic and squinting, i had to lift him out of the cage as he would barely move himself, i won’t eat or drink but will respond slightly to movement and will shake his feathers or squeak every once in a while, this is my first parrot and vets around me are closed on lockdown so i could really use any help i can get that you so much.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear this. I'm tagging the staff to maybe move this to our emergency forum. Are you based in the US? Maybe somebody can recommend a vet that is open, or point you to an online emergency helpline.

@Staff

birds10101

Moving in
Real Name
Ciara Kennedy
thank you sm, i’m in ireland though so there’s very limited avian vets here in the first place and anything near me is definitely closed we’ve tried a couple:(

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am not sure of any :( I'm going to move this to the 911 area to get you more help

birds10101

Moving in
Real Name
Ciara Kennedy
thank you both sm, he just perked up a tiny bit and it was almost like he got a fright and he went to go fly and he wasn’t able and fell into a cushion:(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry. I hope he's okay. I've never used one but there are on-line vets in the U.S., not sure if you have anything like that there....

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I was just going to mention that there are some online vets. You chat for a short time, make a payment, then the vet appointment starts- I believe they can even prescribe meds. I have no idea how good they are as I’ve not used them for anything. Nor do I know if they prescribe meds for someone in another country.
Keep us updated with how he is going.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can you set up a small cage or enclosure with warm heat?

Do you have anything like Gatorade or Pedialyte there?

With how sick he is, he may struggle to recover. :( So sorry you are going through this right now. Please keep calling around to different vets!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
We have a member in Ireland that may be able to help you find veterinary care. @Irishj9

birds10101

Moving in
Real Name
Ciara Kennedy
thanks so much for your help everyone, it seemed last night like he was struggling to pass something he possibly ate but he passed something and has definitely improved since, he’s more responsive and hopefully on the road to recovery, i’ve done some research and i’m doing everything i can to try and ease any pain and keep him comfortable, does anyone have any ideas on how i can get him to drink water, he drank some last night but i don’t want him to get dehydrated and i’ve tried to persuade him but that’s hasn’t really worked.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You can try soaking seeds (without dyes or preservatives) and see if he'll eat those or other fresh foods. It's not drinking water, but it would have higher water content...

birds10101

Moving in
Real Name
Ciara Kennedy
he has improved quite a bit this evening and i was able to get him to eat some cucumbers which hopefully will help, thanks once again to everyone who took their time to answer here:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad he's doing better!