• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick Budgies need advice

Rose2000

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, I am new to the forum, but I need advice on my budgie's health. I have been to the vet three times for my budgie, and he is getting worse. I have three budgies that were rescued, and the one came with airsacculitis that was treated with an antibiotic shot. Two weeks after he is still panting and sleeping with his head under his wing, he was then prescribed another 3 weeks of antibiotics. During this time his one cage mate died from unknown symptoms. After the three weeks he appears the same, the vet listened to his breathing and said it was fine but because of his panting he prescribed him another two weeks of antibiotics. We are on day 5 now however both him and his cage mate stopped eating. He also keeps yawning and what looks like adjusting his crop. It looks painful. I am nervous he was misdiagnosed with a respitory infection and has a fungal infection instead. I need to start a Probiotic ASAP but I have been looking for days and can't find anything in stores. I need it now otherwise I could order online. Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I've followed up many times with the vet and although he prescribed both of the budgies the new 2-week antibiotic they advised us to stop treatment on the one as he throws up immediately after each dose. I am not sure what else to do since the vet doesn't know what else to provide as he thinks is could just be a long lasting respitory infection due to neglect from their previous owners. However, he said that their breathing sounded better than before. I'm worried they might have candida or sour crop. What can I do now to help them?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It could be air sac mites.

If they have stopped eating that is very serious and you are going to need to go back to vet. Hopefully your vet will provide a little nutrition and fluids .

I'm sorry you are going through this with your birds.

How are they doing?