• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

shutter speed on a sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

kneel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
kneel
i have the sony 7.2 mega pixel camera, and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to take a better picture of my parrots.

Everyone I take (usually, esp with the CAG) is blurry.

I know there's a setting that you can change, so i was wondering if anyone had any info on this particular model camera.

Its the Sony cyber shot dsc sumthing, 7.sumthing mega pixel.

I can get more info if needed....my camera's downstairs.

thanks in advance for any help!

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
not sure if it'll work for yours

but i have a canon Power Shot S5 IS, i hardly ever change any settings

but I hold the shutter button Part way down and let it focus, If its blurry in the LCD Screen I let go and either let the zoom out *if i was using it * or back up more and sometimes use the zoom. then try again and once my box pops up green *for being in focus* i snap my pic if its still yellow *out of focus* i try it again until i get it in focus

very hard to accomplish on moving objects, but after doing it for a while you get the hang of it and learn to do it quicker then your object moves lol

MollyMouse

Kneel I own a Sony Cyber Shot 7.2 and I have never been able to get it to focus properly ever. And if I try and enlarge any pics they are NEVER sharp. I wish I had gotten something else. The model is a DSC-S730. The last pic I took using it was of Gus and it is the only clear one I have managed to take with it for 2 years. I just had it on the ISO setting. Here is the pic below that worked ok. I find when you go to push the shutter speed it looks like it will be really sharp, but as you press it down to take the actual pic it goes out of focus again. I give up!!:shrug3:

Last edited:

kneel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
kneel
can you get the model number?
its the DSC-750, 7.2 mega pixel.

not sure if it'll work for yours

but i have a canon Power Shot S5 IS, i hardly ever change any settings

but I hold the shutter button Part way down and let it focus, If its blurry in the LCD Screen I let go and either let the zoom out *if i was using it * or back up more and sometimes use the zoom. then try again and once my box pops up green *for being in focus* i snap my pic if its still yellow *out of focus* i try it again until i get it in focus

very hard to accomplish on moving objects, but after doing it for a while you get the hang of it and learn to do it quicker then your object moves lol
I've tried it...

Kneel I own a Sony Cyber Shot 7.2 and I have never been able to get it to focus properly ever. And if I try and enlarge any pics they are NEVER sharp. I wish I had gotten something else. The model is a DSC-S730. The last pic I took using it was of Gus and it is the only clear one I have managed to take with it for 2 years. I just had it on the ISO setting. Here is the pic below that worked ok. I find when you go to push the shutter speed it looks like it will be really sharp, but as you press it down to take the actual pic it goes out of focus again. I give up!!:shrug3:
well, i feel ya on this one, i have the Sony cyber shot DSC-750, and there's ISO settings, and a few other settings you can change. But it doesn't come right out and say "Shutter Speed".

So that's what I wondering, if there's another "term" that I can change to get a better pic (more often anyways).

I know if I spent a few hundred bucks on a sweet camera than I could eliminate this problem, but, just don't have the $ to do that atm.

Thanks for all the input guys/gals!!! :cool1:

MollyMouse

The only thing I can suggest is to go into a camera shop and get them to have a look at the settings maybe. But I have honestly tried everything on mine. I think I am just going to have to put up with it until I can afford a new one!! I can't find any info in the manual that tells you how to get a sharper focus either. Sorry I can't be much help Kneel but I sure can sympathize.

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
i have the T70 and it's pretty good as focussing, i also do the half button thing and see what it's going to focus on and change from there as you can press what you what on the screen lol

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Something that will help is to have very good lighting and to mount the camera on a mini tripod or set it on a bean bag or something like that. Do not use the zoom feature. Always keep the camera zoomed out and if you want a closeup. Move closer to the subject and do not zoom.

As SDavies said, before taking a picture you should push the camera button down half ways without taking the picture. That forces the camera to do a focus again. Then click the button all the way. Some camera's just don't take that clear of pictures no matter what megapixel it is. It's not the pixels but the quality always comes from the quality of glass in the lens. Some of the cheaper cameras use a plastic lens and not even real glass.

I prefer the Canons. They always have good glass. They are one of only a few manufacturers that actually make lens. They are the ones that supply many of the other cameras lens. Of course they always keep the best lens for themselves.

Lawrence

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lawrence
Try using Shutter Speed Priority mode (Tv) in Canon, try around 1/40 to 1/60 for an active bird. Dont forget the flash for this kind of speed if you are indoor.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.