• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get a TAG?

Riyam Alenezi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Riyam Alenezi
@Hankmacaw I definitely will post a picture! Might do it now in fact. His name is smokey, my dad also feeds him in the afternoons sometimes and he said he actually really likes him, my sister does too and everyone finds him fascinating.
This afternoon I was overjoyed to find him trying to speak! He was trying to get out a 'coo coo' and a whistle and some other strange noises probably influenced by the bird shop.
(We don't know whether its a girl or a boy yet so assuming its a boy for now.)

Attachments

Riyam Alenezi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Riyam Alenezi
Thank you guys I feel like an actual member of avian avenue now that I have my companion.:D

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
OMG he's a cutie-patootie. You take good care of that boy. Smoky is a great name for an AG.

Riyam Alenezi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Riyam Alenezi
Any advice or tips for how to make a strong bond and relationship, I mean now he's okay with me and all that but how do I take things further and actually make him have this strong bond with me?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Any advice or tips for how to make a strong bond and relationship, I mean now he's okay with me and all that but how do I take things further and actually make him have this strong bond with me?

Respect him. To do that you will need to understand his behavior, your behavior and come up with rules that work in your house. How you treat him....yell, quiet, praise, punish, neglect, spoil rotten all have an impact on how they respect you and the relationship you will have.

Start by learning behavior. Read up on behavior training she YOU learn how to interact and communicate with your bird.

Finally. Put lots of time in now as it really does pay off later...you have layed a good foundation and from that they grow.

Example: Ben (Scarlet Macaw) was going up and down my arm. I finally asked him...you are doing this on purpose aren't you He nods head yes I then say YOu think I am ignoring you He shakes his head yes. I then say ok, lets play and the play starts. This communication did not happen in a day or week. It has been a build up over 3 years. Ben knows what pinching his and what is too hard vs annoying. He also has learned to shake his head yes or no to a few questions.

I learn from what people post here and some of the ideas are great and work for me. Read Milty stories because his dad is just as casual and holds conversations with milty. Each persons story helps you determine what works for you and what doesn't. I just know the more positive you are, the more you praise good behavior and the more you tell them what you want vs DON"T do that you will have a much more enjoyable relationship.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Let him make decisions as long as safety is not involved.