• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Should I be worried?

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
So I walked into my room and noticed that a few Leos feathers under his eye were ruffled, so I went to get a closer look and as I expected, he hopped away. I grabbed some Millet and positioned it in a way so that while he was eating it I could get a closer look without toweling him. I've never see bird blood before so I'm not sure if I saw it or not however there was two areas where it was just black so I couldn't see his skin like in other patches at the scratch. I got some pics however as I was trying not to spook him they were from far away and you couldn't really see the wound at all. When Leo wakes up tomorrow I'll take some better pics and post them. He has gotten a scratch like this before from his old cage however I have since replaced it and moved it out of the room. I have no idea how he got this scratch as he didn't get hurt while he was out of his cage because I was watching him closely. Perhaps from one of his toys? I've checked them over and they seem to be fine. He doesn't seem to be in any pain and he's still pooping regularly, drinking, eating and chirping same as ever. does this sound like a worrisome wound? The only avian vet in my state is an 8 hour drive, there are Vets in my town but I'm not sure if they care for birds or not.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hard to say what is going on without seeing a photo. As for avian vet vs regular vet: There are regular vets who are very knowledgeable about birds. Sometimes avian vets are not the experts we think they might be even though they have the certification. You can call around and find out what types of experiences with birds your local vets have. You could tell us your approximate location and maybe someone could recommend a vet to you.
Are Leo's nails long and sharp? Is there anything he could have rubbed against?

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
Hard to say what is going on without seeing a photo. As for avian vet vs regular vet: There are regular vets who are very knowledgeable about birds. Sometimes avian vets are not the experts we think they might be even though they have the certification. You can call around and find out what types of experiences with birds your local vets have. You could tell us your approximate location and maybe someone could recommend a vet to you.
Are Leo's nails long and sharp? Is there anything he could have rubbed against?
His nails are kind of long but I’m not entirely sure that could have been the cause. There isn’t anything in or around his cage that he could scratch himself with... is dried bird blood black? And would it be worth waking him up to get a better photo?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dried blood can look very dark, almost black. Take a photo in the AM.
If his talons are sharp then he could have scratched himself.

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
So when I went to check in on him this morning he ruffled the feathers so I can no longer see the wound, so I looked to see if his nail are long and sharp. First off yes, they are fairly long and look sharp. Secondly, while I was inspecting his nails I remembered his gimp toe. He's had it since I first got him and he's never really seemed to be in pain because of it. does it look bad and what do you think could have been the cause?

Attachments

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
I think you should get it checked out, its better safe than sorry especially knowing how fragile birds can be. You should get him checked out once in a while just to make sure he's ok, I can't really tell you whats happening here but i suggest going to the vet, it could be nothing major or something big.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Where is the wound? His foot, or near his eye? It is strange that one of his toenails is white, and not black like the rest of them. That toe looks very swollen, it does look like he needs a vet visit.

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
Where is the wound? His foot, or near his eye? It is strange that one of his toenails is white, and not black like the rest of them. That toe looks very swollen, it does look like he needs a vet visit.
he has a scratch right above his beak. I have been worried about his toe for a while. The pet store had him checked out when they got him and apparently his toe isn't infected, it also doesn't seem to be hurting him.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Toenails can vary in color even on the same bird. How does the scratched area above his beak look now? If you are concerned about the area and it looks worse/infected then bring him to a vet. If no avian vet then a regular vet with bird experience would be OK. Find out how much experience the vet has with birds. How many does he/she generally treat during a day or a week?

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
Toenails can vary in color even on the same bird. How does the scratched area above his beak look now? If you are concerned about the area and it looks worse/infected then bring him to a vet. If no avian vet then a regular vet with bird experience would be OK. Find out how much experience the vet has with birds. How many does he/she generally treat during a day or a week?
He’s hiding his wound. Even if I towel him I doubt I will be able to find him. He isn’t lethargic so that’s good and I think you’re right, it was probably just from his nail. I’m kind of curious about the limo that seems to be growing out of that toe, though. Is it possible for birds to get tumors?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes birds can get tumors. But rather than speculating, you need to take him to a vet. Call around and ask if they see birds, or call the local rescue and ask which vet they use. He needs to be seen. Good luck!

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
Yes birds can get tumors. But rather than speculating, you need to take him to a vet. Call around and ask if they see birds, or call the local rescue and ask which vet they use. He needs to be seen. Good luck!
Ok, I’m going to do that tonight. Thank you very much I appreciate all of the help!