• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I be worried about this wild rainbow lorikeet?

jayteaoh1

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all! First post here, looking for some advice.

My backyard is always thriving with wild bird life, but recently I've noticed a particular rainbow lorikeet hanging around my side garden. It's very slow, and unenergetic. Over the last week, it's allowed myself & my dog (albeit accidentally, I had no idea the bird was nearby until I spotted my pup sniffing her out) to get extremely close with almost a total disinterest in us. It has been coming and going though, until today. It was hiding among some bushes for the entire morning, and I had to shoo a magpie mother & her baby away after they tried to attack the lorikeet. It seems to have trouble travelling distances longer than a foot or so, and stumbles frequently. I don't think it can fly, as I watched it climb a garden chair and attempt to use it as leverage(?) to reach my water fountain, but it couldnt fly the metre distance between the two objects and fell to the ground. I have provided it with some water on the ground which it has been attentive to, but occasionally squarks defensively if my hands get too close. Is this anything to worry about? Is there anything I can do to help? I'm just worried that its immobility and lack of energy to flee might put it at risk of more birds/feral cats/local wildlife attacking it in my area. It doesn't appear to be injured in any explicit way.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Can you post a pic by any chance?

I have a few concerns- It could be clipped and actually happen to be an escaped pet, it could be injured (which they hide till nearly dead), it could have PBFD- I may or may not get a better idea with a few pics of this little one.

You may be best to try to catch it and take it to a veterinary clinic (preferably one that deals with birds) if it is letting your dog and yourself get so close to it- only way a wild bird usually will allow that is if it is very very unwell and can not get away- a pet may be more comfortable with you being so close.

Last edited:

jayteaoh1

Can you post a pic by any chance?

I have a few concerns- It could be clipped and actually happen to be an escaped pet, it could be injured (which they hide till nearly dead), it could have PBFD- I may or may not get a better idea with a few pics of this little one.

You may be best to try to catch it and take it to a veterinary clinic (preferably one that deals with birds) if it is letting your dog and yourself get so close to it- only way a wild bird usually will allow that is if it is very very unwell and can not get away- a pet may be more comfortable with you being so close.
Thank you for your reply!

I wondered if it was a pet initially, but I've seen many similar rainbow lorikeets in the area. Doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility, but I wasn't able to see anything that visually distinguished it from the dozens of others that fly about.

I live in a rural location, with the nearest vet clinic being a hour or two away I think, but I might see if there's anything more local that could help. I will note that it did fly away a few days ago a small distance to the gum tree at the other end of my yard after I accidentally startled the poor thing. It didn't appear to be a very strong flyer though, and I haven't seen it fly since.

They finally left the bushes, so here's some pictures that might help!

Attachments

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Well, the bird isn't clipped, but they do appear to be a youngster (adults have a redder beak).

If he's not a strong flyer, I would try to capture and take to a vet or rehabber.

flocknroll

Meeting neighbors
Yes, this is definitely something to be concerned about.
Stumbling and inability or impaired ability to fly is an indicator of illness or injury.
He’s an adult and looks to have all primary feathers from your photos so he really needs to be checked out by a vet or experienced wildlife carer.
If you know who your local wildlife groups are, please contact them, otherwise let me know and I should be able to find some possible contact for you :)

jayteaoh1

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I was able to capture it this morning (poor thing was still in the same spot) and called a local wildlife rescue org I found to come and take a look. They took her away to get vet attention, and said they get quite a few calls for birds in this state so they'll be able to look after her for now

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Great to hear you found someone to come take care of it :)

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I was able to capture it this morning (poor thing was still in the same spot) and called a local wildlife rescue org I found to come and take a look. They took her away to get vet attention, and said they get quite a few calls for birds in this state so they'll be able to look after her for now
Glad you managed to find help thank you for helping this little one

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Looks pretty thin, but bright eyed. I'm so glad you got a wildlife rescue to take. Thank you so much for saving it , and giving it the chance to receive the care it needs. I sure hope it's something it can recover from

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@jayteaoh1 Was it the RSPCA you called? They just put a post up the other day all about LPS. I hadn't heard of it before.
Here's the caption, link below;

"Mash, Chippy, Tater and Spud were brought into the RSPCA Eumundi Rehabilitation Centre recently suffering from Lorikeet Paralysis Syndrome (LPS).

A mysterious toxin causing our rainbows of the sky to be unable to walk, eat, blink and eventually unable to move at all, LPS is now considered one of Australia’s most significant wildlife diseases.

The Syndrome occurs mainly between October and June, with cases peaking between December and February. The cause of LPS still remains unknown. However, researchers are exploring the possibility it is caused by the ingestion of a toxic plant in the southern Queensland and northern NSW region.

When found early, LPS is treatable, but weeks of intensive care is required with full rehabilitation taking upwards of several months.

Upon arrival, our Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre at Eumundi team gave Mash, Chippy, Tater and Spud, a comprehensive health assessment, starting with radiographs to ensure they have not sustained additional injuries. Then their treatment for LPS began with fluid therapy, pain relief, nutritional support, regular bed changes and baths, as well as administrating of eye drops to combat their inability to blink.

Sadly, Spud lost his battle to LPS However, Mash, Chippy and Tater are continuing to go from strength to strength. All three have been showing incredible improvements – they are now able to perch and are also beginning to self-feed❤

Lorikeet Paralysis Syndrome is a serious threat to our iconic lorikeets and needs immediate intervention. If you find a lorikeet that is unable to fly, has varying degrees of paralysis, seems wobbly or is unable to blink or swallow seek them help immediately.

☎If you see sick or injured wildlife call the RSPCA 24/7 emergency hotline on 1300 ANIMAL (264 625)."

http://instagr.am/p/C0LqgayPuf_/
edit; I will create a thread with some info!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
@jayteaoh1 Was it the RSPCA you called? They just put a post up the other day all about LPS. I hadn't heard of it before.
Here's the caption, link below;

"Mash, Chippy, Tater and Spud were brought into the RSPCA Eumundi Rehabilitation Centre recently suffering from Lorikeet Paralysis Syndrome (LPS).

A mysterious toxin causing our rainbows of the sky to be unable to walk, eat, blink and eventually unable to move at all, LPS is now considered one of Australia’s most significant wildlife diseases.

The Syndrome occurs mainly between October and June, with cases peaking between December and February. The cause of LPS still remains unknown. However, researchers are exploring the possibility it is caused by the ingestion of a toxic plant in the southern Queensland and northern NSW region.

When found early, LPS is treatable, but weeks of intensive care is required with full rehabilitation taking upwards of several months.

Upon arrival, our Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre at Eumundi team gave Mash, Chippy, Tater and Spud, a comprehensive health assessment, starting with radiographs to ensure they have not sustained additional injuries. Then their treatment for LPS began with fluid therapy, pain relief, nutritional support, regular bed changes and baths, as well as administrating of eye drops to combat their inability to blink.

Sadly, Spud lost his battle to LPS However, Mash, Chippy and Tater are continuing to go from strength to strength. All three have been showing incredible improvements – they are now able to perch and are also beginning to self-feed❤

Lorikeet Paralysis Syndrome is a serious threat to our iconic lorikeets and needs immediate intervention. If you find a lorikeet that is unable to fly, has varying degrees of paralysis, seems wobbly or is unable to blink or swallow seek them help immediately.

☎If you see sick or injured wildlife call the RSPCA 24/7 emergency hotline on 1300 ANIMAL (264 625)."

http://instagr.am/p/C0LqgayPuf_/
edit; I will create a thread with some info!
Holy crap, that is absolutely terrifying

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Holy crap, that is absolutely terrifying
From what I am reading it is AUS only, and in the NSW and QLD areas. I posted a thread, one of the links had more specfic demographic info.
Thousands of birds area treated per year! Frightening :(