• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shopping for Rocky the GCC - a couple of questions

AJ&Ellie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alysha
I'm about to go on a birdy shopping spree for the rehomed GCC I got yesterday. I'm probably going to place 1 big order with MSBS and then swing by Petco to get the mink brown standing playtop cage for him. I was hoping you guys could give me some tips.

Rocky is currently eating seed from Walmart. Do you have any recommendations for a higher-quality seed mix I could buy? I'm going to work on transitioning him to pellets too. I have some Harrison's high potency fine. That should be OK for transitioning, right?

He currently has a happy hut. I think it needs replacing. I've read those can be dangerous though. Do you think I should just get him a new one since he's already familiar with them? If not, any ideas of a safer alternative?

And last, any suggestions for specific toys we can't live without? He barely has anything now.

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
All by guys eat Kathies bountiful harvest..MSBS...I have betta beds from there also, not sure she still has them or not. BALSA!! He can't live without balsa toys :)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can definitely recommend I Got a Woody Bird Toys balsa toys. My guys tore into the stuff so fast I didn't even have a chance to take a picture of them new. Thank you Dawn and Leslie!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
My GCC Birdie likes the shredding kabobs, which Kathie has, I always buy like 3 at a time. The small size. But what she lives for are these three things:
1) fresh mango
2)birdie bread, into which I sneak many things like kale
3)bells. Any kinds of bells, on leather strips, on traditional type toys, any kind of bell. Take note these should be stainless steel. She has 5 different sets of bells in her cage right now and every afternoon she attacks them! It's so funny. Goes on for several minutes.

good luck with your new baby. You'll have fun. Oh. They like to dance, so be sure to make time for birdie music hour!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thin pine, 1/4" or 1/8" preferably, is Koopa's favorite!

Volkman has a good quality seed.

maimaie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Luca has lots of wood toys. Some of them he chews, most he doesn't, but he LOVES the soft kabobs: Feliz Bird Kabob by Wesco - BIRD KABOBS BY WESCO by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

I can't figure out if he loves or hates bells. He will tap them with his beak and make them ring and the next minute he is lunging at them aggressively... he ends up breaking most of them. He also loves to chew on the ends of shoe laces and hair ties. These might be his favorite foot toys! He also likes the plastic balls with bells inside and peppermint candy in plastic wrappers. Big t-shirts are also a must! Luca loves to tunnel inside them.

briabelletee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bria
:eek: i didn't know happyhuts were dangerous. I have them everywhere!!! The things I've learned in the short time since I've joined!!! How did i ever get by without you?

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
:eek: i didn't know happyhuts were dangerous. I have them everywhere!!! The things I've learned in the short time since I've joined!!! How did i ever get by without you?
Happy huts are ok if the bird does not pick at stitching which the threads are the problem. •You can rotate the huts or check daily to make sure or get a different type hut. •I bought sugar glider house/huts as those little paws of theirs can pick at threads. •Most of their stuff is fleece with stitching hidden. •Yep, they have teeth and can get at stuff.

AJ&Ellie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alysha
Thanks guys, I made my order and made sure to include some balsa toys! I decided to try the Higgins Sunburst for conures. We'll see how it goes. I got his new cage and started to put it together. It's huge! Hopefully he's not too overwhelmed since the one he's been in is about 13.5 x 17 or so.

So far, Rocky doesn't seem interested in millet, birdy bread, chop, or mash, but it's only been a day! He is at least eating, drinking, and playing a little. He's even making some noises that sort of sound like words. I'm so relieved because yesterday, I was sort of worried he wasn't even alive because he had crawled into his hut and didn't move at all for a long time. He's starting to come out of his shell a little.