• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shipping

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
does anyone ship their birds if so what is the process and how much does it generally cost

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Shipping can only be done by special airflights & it varies w airlines & crate but is around $150

Tracieb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracie
I have shipped birds a number of times through the airlines. I use Delta or United and as stated above it runs around $150. It is fairly simple, I just call the airlines cargo number they look at available flights and book the shipment. Dogs and cats area required to have a health certificate, the last time I shipped was about a year ago and at that time birds were not required to have a health certificate to ship on United or Delta. Any airline approved carrier will work for shipping the bird in, but they have to have a perch. When you talk to the cargo office they can explain the carrier requirements.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
United isn’t it? That is not currently shipping birds after some problems thhey had. They are cheaper at about $100. Delta is around $150.

Also, when I had Paco shipped in the airline had changed their crate requirements so his owner had to buy one of theirs ($75) and switch him out at the airport, plus she had a special way she like to line the openings with screen and couldn’t. She was pretty miffed.

You can ship littles, like finches via the USPS. People will tell you it’s illegal because it used to be, but it is not any more. There are special b oxes labeled LIVE BIRDS INSIDE ... if you go this route I can tell you how to set it up with food/water. This costs $65 plus the box purchase and it is called 2-day shipping but if you’re anywhere near the locale, it gets there in 24 hours. MY PO workers get real excited w hen they see a box, and want to know what they look like LOL.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
does anyone ship their birds if so what is the process and how much does it generally cost
With the airlines, it also depends on where you want the bird to be. I got Bella in March when it was cold so I paid extra to have her in the cabin. That is why she is as spoiled as she is. I think I paid about $230 just to have her shipped.