• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sharing Cage, Occasional Quarrels

jdmiller95

Meeting neighbors
My two birds (Cody, age 2.5, have had him for 2 years; Ezio, age 6 months, have had him for 3 months) are, at this point, sharing a cage! I've listened to them from outside the room at times and have left an old iPod recording them for 2-hour(ish) stretches of time on a few occasions, and have found that they get along fine 90% of the time. But they do have little bickers every now and then, ranging from not-at-all to maybe-once per 2-hour(ish) video. Just little bouts of beak-fencing and frustrated screaming, maybe 10 seconds, no more. What (if anything) should I do about this? Is it the kinda thing likely to resolve itself over time as they get more used to having each other around, or what should I do?

When they're not having the li'l fights, they absolutely sit directly next to each other and play with toys, one will eat while the other sits next to the bowl, etc. -- like they are happy-go-lucky together usually and like to be close to each other, but occasionally fight. Normal sibling rivalry or something to address?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ezio is maturing into an adult. Things change. The true nature of Ezio and their relationship is just coming into play. Safety first. They should not be house in the same cage until both are full adults and have chosen to do so on their own.

Second thing is putting any pair of birds into a box (cage). A restricted space with no room for escape. They can't act naturally simply because of being trapped. When quarrels break out there needs to be more than one small area so one of them can just leave for a while. So they either need a WAY bigger cage (measured in feet, not inches) or preferably a room where they'll have the "choice" to come or go. It's all about environment. Always is.