• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sexing IRN Morphs

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Is every morph of IRN dimorphic?

We acquired a pair of IRN. One is olive colored. One is dappled green and yellow. Neither has the ring. Are they both females?

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
The ring comes in with age. So without knowing their current age, you can't call their sex on the basis of a ring.
There aren't any mutations that are strictly Male, or strictly Female. Sexing birds off of a sex-linked mutation is done by knowing the parents mutations, and knowing which one/or both carries which sex-link mutations.

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Thanks. I'll try to check the bands and get an age.
This turned out not to be worth the stress it would have put on the birds. They do NOT want to be handled yet, and it's not that important. THEY know if they're male or female!

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Could you post pictures?

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I can't tell the age from the photos. The darker green on the bottom pic if an adult is a female. The same for the green and yellow. Honestly I have never seen a green with that much yellow unless she is going through a really drastic molt.

Navre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
I can try to get better pictures, but they're so skittish. We have had these birds since September and I think she has always had that coloration pattern.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
IRN males get their ring around 18 months..some sooner, some a little later. At this point since I don't know the exact age its hard to guess but if someone showed me these birds and said they were fully mature I would say female

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
My 14 month old female. Her mother was a grey and father a green. Her wing feathers are tipped with grey and she has a few long grey tail feathers

Attachments

rick_s0910

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
"Rick" Ricardo
That Green with Yellow is actually a beautiful Green Hillerman Pied! (Recessive Pied) H. Pied males will NOT get a ring... The other one is a Grey-green and if male will get its ring around 18 months. I've had a bird show a ring as early as 11 months and one that got it this year @3 yrs old!

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I have never seen a pied IRN. Makes me wonder what others are out there.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
This turned out not to be worth the stress it would have put on the birds. They do NOT want to be handled yet, and it's not that important. THEY know if they're male or female!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: