• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sex Change

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
image.jpeg image.jpeg Until a few days ago, Cassie was my only bird who's sex I didn't know. All her previous owners felt like she was a girl and she is dang cute. But sometimes she'd give me a look like the one in the picture and I'd think this bird has got to be male. Avianbiotech agrees that "she" is a he. This would explain some of her face grabbing tendencies that my female greater rarely exhibits. I'm not sure yet it I can bring myself to call her Casey or get the pronouns right.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I thought Secret was a female at first..... the bird is a blue front, like MC, but a lot smaller in size (heavier in weight though). Even the feet were smaller! We called the bird a "her" and in my heart the bird remains a her....

Despite the DNA test that said male.

I gave up on getting my pronouns right.

My two cents say, "Let your heart rule."

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You know, I had Tuchis TAG DNA'd but alway, always knew he was a boy! Had Reggie D2 DNA'd but always, always knew he was a boy. Reggie does the little hand dance on me too...that's definitely a boy thing isn't it? My 'zonnies are all girls but I did question Cisco. I thought he was a girl because he's so small but then Dr. Mans felt him up and said the pelvic bone is too narrow and is pretty sure he's a boy...still waiting on the DNA results on him but the more time I spend with him, I think boy all the way. Obviously Ams is a girl so I was right there. Smokey is most likely a boy although we haven't done the DNA yet...he does the hand dance on Jon all the time. I don't know, I never really question them. What do Cassie's eyes look like? Do they look brown at all or are they really dark? That's a good indication in 'toos of a boy or a girl...not always right but a pretty good indicator.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Cassie's is such a handsome boy! My tiel, Cappuccino, is a girl, but I cannot stop saying he. He just seems like a boy and he kind of acts like a boy, but he has those pretty pearls still.

peppermint

Meeting neighbors
We don't know Ciel's gender, and we always referred to Ciel as 'him' .. to annoy my partner i sometimes refer to Ciel as 'her' :pinklol:
Ciel doesn't seem to care either way, and simply refuses to tell us his/her gender. :laughing6:
We also gave up asking him, mostly out of fear of the LGBTQ groups and rights out there :laughing6: [i dont mean to offend anyone by saying this]

Nadia Bingo

Strolling the yard
I did a post on my blog about finding out that Bingo's gender was different than what we had assumed.
We also gave up asking him, mostly out of fear of the LGBTQ groups and rights out there :laughing6: [i dont mean to offend anyone by saying this]
Since parrots do not self-identify as female or male I think you are safe ;)

If it gets them more attention parrots would claim any gender... i.e., saying "Pretty Girl!" to get more attention. And Cassie is gorgeous!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Cassie is surely a handsome guy!

For what it's worth, why not stay with the name Cassie?

I have a definite liking of the name...;) :)

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cassie has never shown any sexual behavior toward me. Ariel the galerita is surgically sexed female, does the squat, quiver and heavy breathing female thing. Cassie does no such thing. No hand dance either. The only behavior I've seen out of Cassie that I'd classify as more likely male than female is the 3 weeks of wanting to do fly at me face attacks that she did a few years ago. And the occasional look of pure wrath that she sometimes gives me now. Although, that is totally stereotyping and females can do that too especially rehomes which Cassie is. And the worst of the face attacks came a couple years after I got her when her behavior was still changing and settling in here. I think maybe I passed some sort of test in her/his mind and she/he mostly stopped doing that.

Both Ariel and Cassie have very dark eyes. I've seen female umbrellas with the classic reddish brown eyes and even some females with greyish eyes. Both of mine have eyes just as dark as my hyacinth. You have to have them in very bright light to see at all that the iris is browner than the pupil. So, I don't know if I just have exceptions or if galeritas and goffins have some quirk where they don't show sex with eye color like other species. I haven't seen enough other people's birds in real life to know.

Usually I can accurately guess sex of the larger crested cockatoos by head and beak shape. Ariel is so definitely a girl. I have a harder time seeing gender differences with the physique of the correla types.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Just a darn adorable too...male or female...so nothing has changed even though I know it feels weird for a while.

I experienced this with Leo who 2 years later turned out to be Lea. Takes a bit to adjust. I continued to call her Leo for years until I finally changed her name