• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seven Perks of Having a Budgie in Your Life

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Perks of Owning a Pet Parakeet
Posted on March 27, 2014 by Diane Grindol

Perk #1: A bird that fits in your home
A parakeet, which is more properly called a budgie, can easily get enough exercise being out in a small room. The bird will love to fly around, just make sure to take the necessary steps to bird-proof your home. If you’d prefer, you can have a veterinarian, bird groomer or bird-owning friend show you how to trim you bird’s flight feathers to limit his mobility for a few months.

It’s easy to accommodate a roomy parakeet cage in most homes. A good -size cage is about a 1 ½-feet square, with ¼ inch or so bar spacing. That’s enough room for your bird to enjoy some flight, and safe enough so that it won’t get its head caught between the cage bars, which can lead to serious injury or worse.

Perk #2: Talking ability
Parakeets are capable of mimicking words and phrases. In fact, some can rival or surpass the vocabularies of much larger parrots, even those of “known” talkers like African greys, quakers and Amazon parrots. It is only the males that talk, so if you have a male budgie, make time to talk to him daily. Parakeet speech is fast and high-pitched, so listen carefully for his vocalizations. Speaking of vocalizations, both male and female parakeets chatter away cheerfully much of the time. Even if your parakeet doesn’t learn to speak your language, he or she is still good company.

Perk #3: Endless entertainment
Supply your parakeet with the right toys, and he will provide you with a show that’s better than anything on TV. Parakeets love to ring bells, explore hollow things, bonk their toys, toss items and talk to their mirror reflection. When offered chewable items, chances are your parakeet will demolish them. Adding machine tape, whole carrot or a palm frond, for example, will usually be left to shreds.

Perk #4: Social interaction
A hand-tamed parakeet will enjoy spending time with you, and might even prefer to sitting on your shoulder to snuggle up to you so you can scratch his head feathers. Also, almost everyone has known someone who owned a parakeet. Even in this age of online friends, it’s nice to have a topic of conversation that is interesting. A huge generation of baby boomers in the U.S. grew up with parakeets they obtained at a local dime store. Go ahead, mention that you have a pet bird, or ask if someone ever had one, and be ready for the deluge of stories. If you want to interact with proud parents or grandparents, keep a photo of your bird in your wallet. If you do interact with people online, there are communities of bird lovers online.

Perk #5: Better nutrition for both of you
This is only slightly tongue-in-cheek. If you take care of one of these small parrots properly, you’ll be spending more time in the produce section of the supermarket and will have more vegetables at home. Go ahead, make your parakeet a bite-size salad and then make yourself one! Your bird will also love healthy nibbles from your plate, so make what’s on your plate a healthy meal. Also, there are nutritionally balanced diets made specifically for parakeets to help your little parrot live a long, healthy life.

Perk #: A pint-size travel companion
A smaller size makes a parakeet an easier travel companion. Compared to other parrots, parakeets require a smaller carrier, and you can even place your little bird’s cage in the car for a weekend away or a visit to family. Of course, give those at your travel destination a heads up about your feathered travel companion so that he is fully welcome. The budget-travel chain Motel 6 is very accommodating to travelers with pets, and you might come to appreciate them. You might not want to take your budgie along for the ride during hot or cold weather extremes. If you have to leave your parakeet at home while you travel, you might have a better chance of finding a budgie-friendly pet sitter or friend to take your bird. Your parakeet’s comparably smaller cage and less-intimidating size also makes it easier for you to drop both your bird and his cage off at a friend or relative’s home if you need to leave town.

Perk #6: A colorful outlook
Our dog and cat companions see limited colors, but parakeets see all the colors we do plus a few in the UV spectrum. They enjoy colorful toys, colorful ladders and a colorful assortment of veggies to eat in their bowl.

Perk #7: Trick training
Parakeets are smart and can learn tricks fast. Being small doesn’t limit their trainability at all. Go ahead and teach your budgie to dunk balls in hoop and put rings on a peg. Your parakeet can also learn to fly to you, can learn to talk and can even be taught to do a somersault in your hand.

Parakeets as pets are a manageable size, entertaining, social, and talkative. Small enough to fit in your apartment and travel with you, parakeets can make great companions. You will enjoy watching them play and can share your interest with others offline and online.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I didn't really realize it is ONLY the males who talk! Wow.... wonder why the females don't? No cracks from the peanut gallery, as we used to say back in the day LOL!!! :roflmao:

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I didn't really realize it is ONLY the males who talk! Wow.... wonder why the females don't? No cracks from the peanut gallery, as we used to say back in the day LOL!!! :roflmao:

I'm going to have to politely disagree, with this. I have a female, Candy, that WON'T STOP TALKING!

She has a pretty wide vocabulary, most of it is not so "cute"... She came to us as a severe bitter and she had to be trained out of being a devil. She picked up on a few things during her training.

No, don't bite.
No biting
Bad bird
OUCH!
Candy NO!
You're a bad bird
Pretty Bird (Said in a deeper voice like my husband)
Pretty birdy birdy birdy birdy.....(In my voice, because hubby can't say birdy really fast like I can)
Mwahahaha.... the evil and crazy creepy laugh that my hubbby taught her. If we are having a conversation and one of laughs, she will immediately do this creepy version of it. It freaks people out all the time!
She wolfwhisles almost every time hubby walks past her cage.
And she has a specific whistle that hubby taught her and they will whistle it back and forth no mater where either of them are in the house.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I'm going to have to politely disagree, with this. I have a female, Candy, that WON'T STOP TALKING!

Wow - so this theory is not at all 100%. Guess Ms. Grindol never had a female that talked, or maybe she read it somewhere before she wrote the article. Heck, I just told about me writing an article on socializing dogs, also a non-fiction piece, but I am the first to admit I surely don't know everything about that subject, I just wrote a combination of what I knew, and what I had read and learned.

Lucy had a good vocabulary, but I also realized later that Lucy was most likely a male. She was a white bird, although I still don't know what mutation, since she passed away 16 years ago, and I have no reference. In other words, not going to dig out pictures. Had some video of her, but technology has long surpassed the VHS tapes plus I had to have one of those adapters for the mini cassettes! So can't play them any longer, sadly.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Correct, not 100% accurate. However, it is pretty rare for a female to talk, but not impossible.

Like male budgies, the more time you spend with them, the more likely they are going to pick up what you repeatedly say to them.... as evidence with bad girl Candy. Lol

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Highly unusual for a female budgie to talk but there are exceptions which the author should have included in the writing. Neither of my two talk but Mickey has learned the wolf whistle and does it very quietly every once in a while.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Incredible Budgerigar: Budgie Communication

I wonder how accurate this one is... And I don't see a description of Fiona's "peep peep peep peep" over and over in rapid succession when she is warning Fergus to GET AWAY from that chop, it's MINE FIRST! I can't describe it other than the super rapid peeping!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Thinking about them talking and the possible male/female differences got me to wondering about "how"! Found this link, with the following excerpt:
Tame and Train Parrots

It would be supposed that animals which talk must have a thin tongue or one which is mobile and active; but the parrot's tongue is thick and seemingly sluggish. It is not her tongue primar�ily that enables her to talk; in Polly's throat there are muscles which give her the power of speech, and these muscles are similar in some respects to those possessed by song birds. In some instances it takes a long time for a young parrot to learn to use these throat muscles, just as it takes consid�erable time for a human being to learn to talk; and like little children, parrots repeat only what they hear.