• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senior Dog Peeing in House

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Our senior Dachshund dog, Odie, is currently 13 years old. He is potty trained, and used to be good at showing us when he needed to go potty. For a few months now, however, he has not even bothered to get up to go pee. Sometimes he'll just pee in his bed. It happens almost every other day. Now, he doesn't go poop at all in the house, he just goes pee inside. It has nothing to do with a health problem or anything. We've taken him to the vet very recently and they said he was healthy. I just don't understand why he's doing this. Is there a way to stop this?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
When you get to be 91 years old (13x7 dog years) you will understand perfectly. It's an age thing.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
You could always put puppy pads around everywhere.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
As to stopping it...I don't know if you can stop it completely but if you can make it a point to take him out every couple of hours, just like as if he was a puppy, that might help.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I had a large dog, German Shepherd, and when he has accidents it was always where an accident had happened before. I thought I read somewhere that the smell lingered (maybe the reason that dogs go to the bathroom where other dogs go)

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
My neighbour's elderly male dogs were no longer able to hold it so they wear doggie diapers with extra pads inside.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My dog Crista did that when she got to that age too. She had arthritis though so it was painful for her to get up. But she would just pee where she was and then lay in it until we noticed sometimes :(

I would look into the doggy diapers, they help a lot. Getting up to go pee is a lot of work when they are older!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Thanks for all the replies.

Old age was my first guess, too. But sometimes if he is just standing there and we're right there he will just go ahead and pee on the carpet right in front of us. I try not to get on to him; sometimes I feel like he doesn't mean to do it.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thanks for all the replies.

Old age was my first guess, too. But sometimes if he is just standing there and we're right there he will just go ahead and pee on the carpet right in front of us. I try not to get on to him; sometimes I feel like he doesn't mean to do it.
That sounds like dementia. It causes confusion and they forget all about how they're supposed to potty

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
That sounds like dementia. It causes confusion and they forget all about how they're supposed to potty
^ this...getting old. Leo is 15 and he gets really confused sometimes.

Tinkgrrrbell

Moving in
Is there a way to stop this?
My rat terrier is the same age and doing the exact same thing! You can’t tell she’s a senior by the way she acts, but has started peeing in the house, even on her bed. She’s healthy and no UTI. Started giving her “neutricks” soft chews for senior dogs after a recommendation from a friend, and although she’s not 100% accident proof, the accidents have gone down from once a day to once a week. You can find them on Amazon! Other than that, sadly she has to be baby-gated in the kitchen while I’m not home to keep her from ruining the floors :(
80950D6A-FAF1-4E34-938D-D8CB466D013F.jpeg