• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senegal in an apartment

PaleoParrot

Moving in
Real Name
elizabeth lester
I have been looking forward to getting a parrot after I graduate for several years. I will be graduating in the summer. I was hoping for a bit of a challenge, but noise may be an issue. I am going to grad school in the fall and will be living in an apartment (and gone a sizable portion of most days so something like a CAG is out). I had a quaker when I was younger and he was perfect, but the of noise typically associated withe quakers (mine was only moderate) would defiantly get us kicked out. I have heard that poices are typically quieter than most parrots on average and wondered if that was the experience of sennie/poice owners. If it helps he would be an only bird-- I don't know if that helps with poices, but I think it did with my quaker.

Last edited:

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I had a Meyer's in an apartment for two years with no complaints. She's the only poi I have experience with.

She did get louder after I adopted a CAG. My Meyer's was a jealous creature.

I don't have experience with other birds (aside from budgies and one cockatiel from my childhood), so it's hard for me to provide context.

Good luck.

Pied

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have a Senegal in an apartment. However, any single bird is going to need a decent amount of attention from you. They are social creatures.

My kid is loud sometimes but I also have a laid back apartment building. He's mostly loud in the morning and randomly throughout the day. (Think loud and screechy). I think my sennie is louder that most quakers I have met so I'm not sure what your idea of loud is.

Have you volunteered with any rescues? Sometimes that's the best way to find out what species is right for you.

PaleoParrot

Moving in
Real Name
elizabeth lester
I have a Senegal in an apartment. However, any single bird is going to need a decent amount of attention from you. They are social creatures.

My kid is loud sometimes but I also have a laid back apartment building. He's mostly loud in the morning and randomly throughout the day. (Think loud and screechy). I think my sennie is louder that most quakers I have met so I'm not sure what your idea of loud is.

Have you volunteered with any rescues? Sometimes that's the best way to find out what species is right for you.
Our neighbors knew well my quaker growing up and we lived in a suburban neighborhood (with yards between them). If some one stepped in my room (very territorial) he could be heard two houses down, while running the lawnmower ect. He didn't schreech often, but Im sure just once and the whole complex would know. He also made a loud "cak" noise for hours, but that may have been behavioral as I was 15 and didn't know what I was doing. He died when he was only six when my brothers ferret broke into his cage. If I thought for a second I could get away with getting a quaker I would.

As for a rescue the closest is 2.5 hours and is dreadful. When we move the closest will be ~six. We have a have of parrot stores, but in the end, as much as they love birds, are trying to sell birds. I'm really relying on experience from other owners online. I am also curious about gcc, but chose to ask more about sennies as I have preferred them upon meeting the birds in person
(but I've only met babies). In the end however I am learning all birds seemed to have there own personalities which is really making this hard :(:banghead::arghh: Ive even read a few people having a quaker in an apartment. I'd pay 10k for a quiet, apartment friendly quaker... I just want a bird that I can work with and wont get us kicked out:unsure1:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I live in a condo with a male senegal. Previously I lived in another condo with him. No complaints. I've gotten comments like "Did I hear a parrot talking in your unit? That's so cool!" but nobody has ever said "Your bird is too loud" or anything like that. George is a pretty quiet bird and only talks, clicks, beeps and whistles. Some will screech.

Please don't be gone for 8 or 9 hours a day if nobody else is every home. That's a very boring life for the poor guy. If that's your situation I would urge you to adopt a pair of young siblings from a breeder so they can talk to eachother while youre gone.

George gets depressed when nobody is home. Thankfully there is somebody home here 98% of the time and he's only ever completely alone for 2 hours max but he is noticeably grumpy when we get home.