• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seizures before dying? (WARNING, possible morbid topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParrotsforKeeps

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Meg
I have had three birds die, and was there for two, and neither of those had seizures. The third, from how I found her, I know did not have a seizure either. One of my budgies did have pain and breathing problems, likely delirium or something like that, and he did shudder every few minutes in the hours before he died, and in the couple days have spastic moments, but these did not seem like seizures to me. There are many reasons for spastic movements, such as those already mentioned, and as someone that has had severe nerve pain, that can really make you move, involuntarily or on purpose, and is not a seizure. But having seen other animals aside from my birds die, it really is true that some move and some don't, just how the body responds.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mia (Eclectus) had seizures before she passed away in my arms, my AV confirmed this when I had asked her. I am sure Zora (Budgie) also had a seizures before she passed, it certainly seemed like it, she showed exactly the same symptoms as what Mia did.

They are the only two, Coby (Alexandrine) I have no idea as he was at the vets in an oxygen tank, Jasper (Cockatiel) I am not sure about either as he passed away at the AVs, nothing was mentioned though when we had received the news.

Sorry that is no help answering your question, but a few others have explained, unfortunately I can’t add anything since I am unsure of the answer myself.

solo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
jess
goose started having seizures about 5 hours before he had 8 or 9 before passing on my chest and she kept giving me these pitiful looks as if she was saying 'i'm tired mom make it stop'

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
goose started having seizures about 5 hours before he had 8 or 9 before passing on my chest and she kept giving me these pitiful looks as if she was saying 'i'm tired mom make it stop'
:sadhug:

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Noodle went peacefully. She was in her bird bed and looked to be sleeping. I don't believe she had any sort of seizure, I would think it would have contorted her little body or made her roll out of her sleep tent.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What people are describing might not always be a seizure, it actually could be just the process of dying. If that makes sense?
Ive seen finches, and sparrows, and budgies, and one of my older cockatiels died. And they didnt look like they were having a seizure. The breathing stopped, and they opened and closed wings. And the feet went behind them. And died.

But it seemed like many have seizures before death.

:(:(:(

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerds last days he was pretty sick with something and he was at least 31 at the time. I knew the time was soon and he was miserable so I took him in my room and we sat together at my computer desk which was one of his favorite spots to hang out with me. He sat on my left wrist and mostly kept his eyes closed and looked up at me through his lids and I'd talk to him and offer him some sport drink that he really liked. Ocasionally he'd open his eyes a bit and look at me then after a hour or so he just kinda fell off my arm into my lap, shook a bit and was gone still looking at me.:crycry2: It tore me up but I was glad I was there and he knew it and felt safe and loved to the end. I don't think it was a sezure, just the electrical impulses shutting down and going off as he left

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
The more I think about it death is cruel whether it be human or animal it rarely happened peaceably and always with regrets. I do not know what I would do if I witnessed any of my fids having a deadly seizure I hate seeing any of god's creatures in pain but is it there pain or my pain I do not like seeing . I mean do they really feel anything or is it just bodily reaction. I am a very sensitive person and talking about this hurts but I think it is good to talk about.

glitterbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Natalie
I'm so sorry for your loss...I recently lost a bird as well due from an intestinal infection. Stay strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.