• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seed everywhere

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi all

Seeds pinged about is normal for the canary but is it normal to hoover/sweep up every day.

My hard floor was awash with seeds before I hoovered. I dont know what Im doing wrong? I use dishes which I understand causes a certain amount of seed pinging. I also use clear perspex near the seed stations to minimise...

Im stumped. How do you all manage? Are my canaries just super messy?

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
I have a "food cube" for my canaries main seed diet. It's acrylic and I know Dr. Foster and Smith carries it. I don't know who else. It makes a big difference

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds are messy by design. They go to the treetops and drop things that the animals on the ground can't reach so they can eat too. Or it plants new seeds that way. Or it fertilizes the ground so the tree can keep producing. Their messy nature is a vital piece of the puzzle.

So yes, totally normal :)

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Thank you @nellysmom I will look into the food cube as it would be a good addition. I hadnt heard of it before.
I wouldn't change their nature and your quite right @Mizzely its nature at its best. I find it fascinating that such a small bird can spread their seed up to the other end of a large room.