• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Second thoughts

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
So I am planning on going up this weekend to get a rescue Pi. She is a guesstimated 20 year old white cap whose owner had recently died. Looks like hasn't been out of her cage in years or played with and has been on a junk diet. She is starting to accept loving and eat healthy foods with gusto from her foster home. As soon as I saw her I wanted her. I love Pi's.
Well now that we are down to the wire I am getting the customary cold feet. I have the time, space, and money for her so that is not an issue. I guess I am worried about how she will do. My current 3 pi's cannot be out at the same time because of aggression towards each other. I am used to having separate play times cause I have had to do that for so long so adding another slot is no issue. I already have 4 cages so what is a 5th.
I think I am just nervous. I want her to have her remaining years as fulfilling as possible. Plus maybe I will luck out and she will get along with one of the others.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's wonderful that you want to give this bird a new home. I say meet her and see what you think. Are you getting her from a rescue? I think most are pretty good about taking a bird back if it's not the right fit. They want the bird and owner to be happy with each other and realize that sometimes things just don't work for whatever reason. I know the rescue I help with will always take a bird back that they've adopted out. So just see how things go. :)

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
It sounds like you have a lot to offer this pi. :) I think it is completely normal to be nervous. I think the most important thing you can do at this point is listen to your gut and, when you meet her in person, try to see how the two of you click. I'm very excited for you!
:goodluck:

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
@javi everything you've ever written shows you are awesome. I read your old posts for advice!!! You can do it and you are giving what I know to be a loving environment knowing how much you care about your fids. Even your outdoor aviary so they can enjoy real wind and sun. Thank you so much for being you! You are a hero! :cool6:

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Thanks all. Yes she is in a dog/cat rescue. Her owner was the aunt of one of the people who runs the rescue. As far as I can gather. I know once I see her or she is home it will be awesome. And she will not be going anywhere.
This has happened everytime I get a bird. You hope for the best, worry about the worst and grateful for whatever happy median you get.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Consider the life she had and have, a life with you and your other Pi's will be heaven for her.
So just go and get her! :)
Good luck and have a safe drive!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Yea, I know I will. The foster has petted her in the cage, but I don't think she has stepped up or come out of cage. The cage is also apparently junk, so I letting the rescue keep it and they can refurb it or sell it for scrap.

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
She has no idea how her life is going to change for the better. I am excited for both of you. Be sure and let us know how things are going and would love to see pictures of her. Good luck. She is going to love it!.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Thanks for all the positive words. I hope she is happy and that she gets several years of happiness with me. I just love Pionus, they are the best birds for me.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I just lost my 21-yr-old white cap. I really loved her and miss her sooooo much. She was just as fun and loving at age 20 as she was at age 1!! They are amazing birds.

I really hope that you go get her and give her an awesome home for her remaining years.

Please, post some pictures!!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I can't wait to see some pictures and hear more about your experience with her when you bring her home! Do you know what her name is?

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
They think her name is gabby. That is what they have been calling her. Only issue with name is that it sounds like Mattie, another pi I have.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Yea. Gonna see what fits.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Just want to say thanks again for all the positive feedback. I am going to get her but still nervous. My friends are also saying it will work out. The only thing that is hard about this whole thing is having birds that don't get along. None of the pi's get along. I am sure they enjoy talking to each other but whenever they are out of cages they like to tease those in cages. I don't think my birds are unhappy, in fact I know they are happy. Just wish all would get along as I feel they would be even happier. Of course Gabby may come in and "fall in love" with one of the others.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
What if she becomes the thread that ties them all in? Sometimes that happens too but it will take time. Just like with people, it takes time to get to know one another. As I said, we've had conversations. I've read the advice you've given for others and I've utilized it with success so as far as I'm concerned, you are at "expert" level compared to me! You can do it Javi and you know it. You're not nervous...you're EXCITED!!!!