1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Second bird?

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by Krissyy1027, 11/4/18.

1. Krissyy1027

Krissyy1027 Checking out the neighborhood

Krissy
    In about six months I will be in the position to get a second bird. I currently have a 4mo cockatiel. They will not share the same cage, and will only be allowed supervised play time together IF they get along. I don't think I want another cockatiel, because I don't want accidental babies. I would love to get a little Parrotlet, but I heard that Parrotlet's do not get along with Cockatiels? Would it still be ok as long as I kept them completely separated asides from being able to chatter to eachother in the same room (my bedroom)? Or do you guys know of a bird, asides from a budgie, that would get along with a cockatiel? Thanks! :)

2. Roxhum

Roxhum Walking the driveway

Cockatiels are such gentle birds they can be easily bullied. If they are in separate cages a parrotlet should be fine. A bourke parrakeet jumps to mind as a good companion, but honestly I don’t know.

3. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    I am happy you will get another. I strongly suggest you get a second cage because one does not bring home a new bird and put them directly in a cage with a strange bird to them. You should also quarantine the new bird.

Krissyy1027 likes this.
  4. Krissyy1027

Krissyy1027 Checking out the neighborhood

Krissy
    @Lady Jane I plan on getting separate cages and quarantining. I am just unsure on what kind of parrot to get. I am not allowed large parrots, so I want something either cockatiel sized or smaller. I was thinking a Bourke's Parakeet, Parrotlet, or an English Budgie? I have a large playstand that I hope to have them both on once they're used to each other.

Lady Jane likes this.
  5. Feather

Feather Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Jasmine
    The best companion for a cockatiel is another cockatiel. If you get one who is the same sex as your current cockatiel, you won't need to worry about accidental eggs. :tup:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)