• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seasonal Allergies - Suggestions?

SD1030

Strolling the yard
My cockatiel has seasonal allergies. He’s been sneezing and wheezing, and then suddenly it’ll stop completely. I plan on taking him to the vet this week. But that’s what the diagnosis was last time this happened.

Any recommendations for what to do?

I already have a really good, non-ionizing air purifier running. I’ve been giving him steam baths - letting him breathe in the hot steam from the shower. I also mist him daily with water to help reduce the dander burden.

Any other ideas? Also how hot should the shower run? Sometimes I notice he overheats and I quickly turn it off and open the door to cool the bathroom down.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Allergies *might* be related to diet and poor gut health. Adding gut healthy foods and gut enzymes/probiotics may be beneficial.

Cool water is best for bathing birds. Maybe lukewarm at best. They do not need warm or hot showers. Some birds may even prefer bathing in ice cold water. (literally, ice cold! with ice cubes!)

SD1030

Strolling the yard
Would steam baths help to dislodge and liquidity gunk in the nostrils?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes when my Jardine's came home he was vitamin A deficient which caused a lot of breathing issues, and my vet recommended having him be in the bathroom with the shower running. I didn't actually put him in the shower, though, just on the counter nearby.