• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Sealing an outdoor aviary???

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would just go with the normal cabbots deck sealer if it is only bird poop protection you need but I have large birds so I would be extremely concerned about mine chewing on the wood as I am unsure if Merbau is safe (which is generally what verandahs and decks are made from) given the high tannins needed for wood to be so red in color and also I would be concerned about other treatments the wood may undertake before being sold.

Demeter

Sitting on the front steps
Would Cabbots deck sealer also be an option for the 2' x 2' wood base I'm using for a large tree branch (vetted species, fully debarked, vinegared, multi days in sun).

Nontoxic to birds is #1. I won't be using it on the branch, just the base.
It will undoubtedly collect a lot of bird droppings and I'm hoping to seal it somewhat. I'm thinking of using mineral oil as it is nontoxic but it's far from ideal. She (young Quaker) doesn't like to linger on the ground and is strangely non-chewy with wood.

Are any types of coatings, sealers or paints that'd be safe for minimal contact? She would have supervised access to the branch and base. I'm worried bird poop would be harder to completely remove as the surface is porous and overtime moisture and invisible poo could cause growths of nasty things as well as warping.
(I do have F10-SCXD spray. )